Cleveland CBX 2 Wedges

I’m going to get into some more things tonight, but man, I think going loft for loft with what I usually play in the RTX4 in these for a decent period of time to discuss that versatility aspect so many get scared of with these would be killer.

Anything anyone wants me to jump on specifically as it pertains to the 52 I’m reviewing?

I want to experiment with a CBX2 for the sake of chipping. I’d even duplicate a loft and move some stuff around to make it work. I really need help chipping as the ol’ heavy chip is my number one miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to experiment with a CBX2 for the sake of chipping. I’d even duplicate a loft and move some stuff around to make it work. I really need help chipping as the ol’ heavy chip is my number one miss.

While they are good at that in my time so far, they’re also insanely more versatile than they get credit for. A big reason why I think about a 48/54/60 setup a lot. Can they do everything my RTX4’s cab versatility wise? No, I don’t believe so, but they can do a lot more than most would expect.

I’m going to get into some more things tonight, but man, I think going loft for loft with what I usually play in the RTX4 in these for a decent period of time to discuss that versatility aspect so many get scared of with these would be killer.

Anything anyone wants me to jump on specifically as it pertains to the 52 I’m reviewing?

I’m curious about the ability to open this up and get funky around the greens. The CBX2 screams full shot confidence but I’m interested in the creative side and if these can do it.

I’m going to read the whole thread now to make sure I haven’t missed anything.

I’m curious about the ability to open this up and get funky around the greens. The CBX2 screams full shot confidence but I’m interested in the creative side and if these can do it.

Dan did some silly things with the 60 when we were in Florida, for me it’s definitely a hard thing to test with the 52 as it’s not a club I’d open up haha

Dan did some silly things with the 60 when we were in Florida, for me it’s definitely a hard thing to test with the 52 as it’s not a club I’d open up haha

It was the 56 but I definitely did a LOT of loft variance with relative ease.

This is the kind of wedge that could really gain some traction for golfers who are looking for a wedge but want some forgiveness away from the traditional blade.

I’m excited to hear how the 52 performs for you in Oklahoma James man!

Sounds like a big improvement over the first version, which was a great wedge for me. I could see a 54 and 58 happening for me.

Is there really any benefit to using a CBX on short chips and pitches? I can definitely see the benefit on full shots, but less so on chipping where the sole/bounce is king (together with getting a repeatable Stroke).

I had a 52 and a 56 last year, the 52 was great, but to my mind the 56 is definitely bettered by something like and MD4.

Is there really any benefit to using a CBX on short chips and pitches? I can definitely see the benefit on full shots, but less so on chipping where the sole/bounce is king (together with getting a repeatable Stroke)..

That may change now that there is different grinds, making them more usable then just great chips. ** I hope

Just got my shipment in today. Overall a really clean look in person.

1d2ba024420d533ae1839f35fb6dfa09.jpg

That may change now that there is different grinds, making them more usable then just great chips. ** I hope

Its a very unique thing watching the versatility grow. Im impressed.

Will they offer custom shaft offerings?

Will they offer custom shaft offerings?

They typically always do, their site is pretty solid there.

Is there really any benefit to using a CBX on short chips and pitches? I can definitely see the benefit on full shots, but less so on chipping where the sole/bounce is king (together with getting a repeatable Stroke).

I had a 52 and a 56 last year, the 52 was great, but to my mind the 56 is definitely bettered by something like and MD4.

I’m quoting this to earmark it, I’ll circle back today with thoughts on this specifically because I actually had this conversation about these just yesterday.

it's going to be hard to kick the Hi-Toe 58 out of the bag, but a 52 and 54 in the CBX could be in my future. Especially if it performs well on full shots. That seems to be where I'm lacking at the moment.

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedges

I use my 54 CBX for pretty much everything. Short chips, full shots, longer pitches, doesn’t really matter. The CBX performs really well regardless what I throw at it. The different grinds on the CBX2 should make certain lofts better for different shots, though.

I found the CBX easier to hit and more versatile than other wedges I've used. Don't know why but I just was really comfortable with them from the start.

I’m sitting down at a keyboard tonight to answer some of the questions and such in here, but...

I really want to put a full set of these and not play to give a trial to really push the versatility to the limits. The 52 has been a hoot.

It seems really weird having a hollow wedge. Wedges are controlled shots and hollow clubs don't have a reputation for precision... Cleveland knows their stuff and makes a great wedge though so I'm sure they know that they are doing.

Dave

Helllllloooooooooo. I'm back.

I believe there is benefit. The camber on the sole as well as the fact that the 46-52 (I've got the 52 for the review) sole is actually a V-Sole makes it lethal from a variety of lies greenside, moreso than my RTX4 48 or 54.

The placement of weight in these for MOI maximization is a big deal, more so than most think.

Obviously, the higher up you go in lofts the more that might change for the individual and what they want their wedges to do there, if you are one who manipulates the snot out of the 56 you use, then it might not necessarily be something you'd benefit from, though the S-sole on the 54-56 should maximize it from thick rough and bunkers and the wider toe will help there for most golfers as well. If you are a straight forward SW player manipulation wise I think it plays, full swings these will dominate bladed wedges based on what I have seen, you can get away with things with these and thats a big deal.

My big curiosity remains in the LW (58-60), they moved to a C-grind on the sole which does give a large amount of heel and toe relief and should make the CBX2 more versatile than the CBX even thought about being and that intrigues me a TON.

These are infinitely more usable than that, as were their predecessors though.

It seems really weird having a hollow wedge. Wedges are controlled shots and hollow clubs don't have a reputation for precision... Cleveland knows their stuff and makes a great wedge though so I'm sure they know that they are doing.

Dave

I say with 1000% certainty, and about 12 rounds on one of them now (using it even on shots I'd never usually consider with a 52), that if they didn't TELL you it was hollow, there is a 0% chance you would EVER be able to tell.

They nailed it.

Excuse me while I yell for a minute.

I. DO. NOT. KNOW. WHY. THERE. AREN'T. MORE. AMATEURS. USING. WEDGES. LIKE. THESE.

Seriously. My time is only with the 52, yes, but I played the 50 CBX last year for a while and saw its benefits in the GW spot, but the overall CONSISTENCY possible via both that iteration and this one so far has been crazy obvious.

The feel is pretty stellar, as is the sound, because....waaaaaait for it.....SOUND IS FEEL! Either way, they killed it here, for all the talk of hollow design, wide sole, etc, these feel as good as any other wedge I've hit, and better than a great deal.

The looks at address are very traditional, which is a win, the size is a bit larger than my RTX4 but its nothing crazy. I'll also add, no one does face milling like Cleveland, the HEAVY Rotex milling that extends to the toe (one of THREE milling techniques used on these) is just badass looking.

I've hit this one from every lie I can think of. On straight forward shots, chips, and pitches its been pretty exceptional, and when you miss you aren't dead in the water which is a different world. I've manipulated the face a bit and on thicker lies or in the bunker its much easier there, but, I am still dealing with a 52 degree and for me thats never a wedge loft I'd manipulate a lot.

From the bunkers its been killer, my only problem is the lower loft has left me a little long of target every time, but, I am 9/9 on bunker outs.

Full swings are addicting, but, so too is the little hard flighted draw I can hit with it as it just nips hard when it hits the green.

I'm having a lot more fun than I anticipated with this one, and my wheels are very much turning with some ideas for some added feedback down the road.

For now though, anyone have any questions or thoughts?

I. DO. NOT. KNOW. WHY. THERE. AREN'T. MORE. AMATEURS. USING. WEDGES. LIKE. THESE.

Seriously. My time is only with the 52, yes, but I played the 50 CBX last year for a while and saw its benefits in the GW spot, but the overall CONSISTENCY possible via both that iteration and this one so far has been crazy obvious.

The feel is pretty stellar, as is the sound, because....waaaaaait for it.....SOUND IS FEEL! Either way, they killed it here, for all the talk of hollow design, wide sole, etc, these feel as good as any other wedge I've hit, and better than a great deal.

The looks at address are very traditional, which is a win, the size is a bit larger than my RTX4 but its nothing crazy. I'll also add, no one does face milling like Cleveland, the HEAVY Rotex milling that extends to the toe (one of THREE milling techniques used on these) is just badass looking.

I've hit this one from every lie I can think of. On straight forward shots, chips, and pitches its been pretty exceptional, and when you miss you aren't dead in the water which is a different world. I've manipulated the face a bit and on thicker lies or in the bunker its much easier there, but, I am still dealing with a 52 degree and for me thats never a wedge loft I'd manipulate a lot.

From the bunkers its been killer, my only problem is the lower loft has left me a little long of target every time, but, I am 9/9 on bunker outs.

Full swings are addicting, but, so too is the little hard flighted draw I can hit with it as it just nips hard when it hits the green.

I'm having a lot more fun than I anticipated with this one, and my wheels are very much turning with some ideas for some added feedback down the road.

You are really raving about these. I don’t need a new wedge set. I don’t. Ok?

I got that lie out of the way - I’ll hit them soon to test them out. All signs point to massive improvements

I'm really excited about these. I have many fond memories of the first iteration. If you are able to get a SW or LW, I'd be very interested in your thoughts on the grinds. The c grind in the LW might be a game changer for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back