Cleveland CBX 2 Wedges

I'm really excited about these too. I think these will fit right into my bag with my Ping G700 very well. I've got the original 54 and a RTX-3 CB in the 58 slot. I may start with just a 58 replacement and then replace the 54 later but I don't know why other companies don't make wedges like this for those of us that play CB and hollow irons.

Excuse me while I yell for a minute.

I. DO. NOT. KNOW. WHY. THERE. AREN'T. MORE. AMATEURS. USING. WEDGES. LIKE. THESE.

Seriously. My time is only with the 52, yes, but I played the 50 CBX last year for a while and saw its benefits in the GW spot, but the overall CONSISTENCY possible via both that iteration and this one so far has been crazy obvious.

The feel is pretty stellar, as is the sound, because....waaaaaait for it.....SOUND IS FEEL! Either way, they killed it here, for all the talk of hollow design, wide sole, etc, these feel as good as any other wedge I've hit, and better than a great deal.

The looks at address are very traditional, which is a win, the size is a bit larger than my RTX4 but its nothing crazy. I'll also add, no one does face milling like Cleveland, the HEAVY Rotex milling that extends to the toe (one of THREE milling techniques used on these) is just badass looking.

I've hit this one from every lie I can think of. On straight forward shots, chips, and pitches its been pretty exceptional, and when you miss you aren't dead in the water which is a different world. I've manipulated the face a bit and on thicker lies or in the bunker its much easier there, but, I am still dealing with a 52 degree and for me thats never a wedge loft I'd manipulate a lot.

From the bunkers its been killer, my only problem is the lower loft has left me a little long of target every time, but, I am 9/9 on bunker outs.

Full swings are addicting, but, so too is the little hard flighted draw I can hit with it as it just nips hard when it hits the green.

I'm having a lot more fun than I anticipated with this one, and my wheels are very much turning with some ideas for some added feedback down the road.

For now though, anyone have any questions or thoughts?

Morning nudge for those who missed it.

I’ll be getting out again today with the 52 I think, though I’m sore as hell from this week already.

Morning nudge for those who missed it.

I’ll be getting out again today with the 52 I think, though I’m sore as hell from this week already.

That's good, you can give us feedback on its performance under adverse player conditions. We geezers are always feeling it :alien:

Helllllloooooooooo. I'm back.

I believe there is benefit. The camber on the sole as well as the fact that the 46-52 (I've got the 52 for the review) sole is actually a V-Sole makes it lethal from a variety of lies greenside, moreso than my RTX4 48 or 54.

The placement of weight in these for MOI maximization is a big deal, more so than most think.

Obviously, the higher up you go in lofts the more that might change for the individual and what they want their wedges to do there, if you are one who manipulates the snot out of the 56 you use, then it might not necessarily be something you'd benefit from, though the S-sole on the 54-56 should maximize it from thick rough and bunkers and the wider toe will help there for most golfers as well. If you are a straight forward SW player manipulation wise I think it plays, full swings these will dominate bladed wedges based on what I have seen, you can get away with things with these and thats a big deal.

Jman - first off, love your reviews and the feedback you provide to the boards. A few questions for you that goes a bit beyond your review of the 52*.

I see in your sig you play the Apex CF19 combo, I presume you play the Apex "pros" in the shorter clubs, perhaps the 8-9-PW? I assume one of the reasons you do that is because you like the smaller, more compact heads? Is the CBX 52* a bigger iron (blade length, height, even topline thickness) than the CF19 pros? Do you think your enthusiasm about the CBX 2.0 could leave to you going more GI throughout your iron set?

I ask these questions as a 6 hcp playing Ping G400 irons that seem very chunky to me. And I say that as someone that played Ping G15 for about 7 irons so I'm use to the Ping G series size, offset, thickness, etc... All that said... I really like going to the smaller Glide wedges at 54* and 60*. Anything 120 yards and over I'm just trying to hit it straight and high. Inside 100 I'm trying to be a bit more... precise.

Jman - first off, love your reviews and the feedback you provide to the boards. A few questions for you that goes a bit beyond your review of the 52*.

I see in your sig you play the Apex CF19 combo, I presume you play the Apex "pros" in the shorter clubs, perhaps the 8-9-PW? I assume one of the reasons you do that is because you like the smaller, more compact heads? Is the CBX 52* a bigger iron (blade length, height, even topline thickness) than the CF19 pros? Do you think your enthusiasm about the CBX 2.0 could leave to you going more GI throughout your iron set?

I ask these questions as a 6 hcp playing Ping G400 irons that seem very chunky to me. And I say that as someone that played Ping G15 for about 7 irons so I'm use to the Ping G series size, offset, thickness, etc... All that said... I really like going to the smaller Glide wedges at 54* and 60*. Anything 120 yards and over I'm just trying to hit it straight and high. Inside 100 I'm trying to be a bit more... precise.

I appreciate that a LOT!

I do play the combos, and honestly, the blend into the 52 from my PW in that set has been no issue. There is a slight difference of course, but its nothing I have ever even for one second given any consideration, which I think should answer your Q pretty well. I'll try to grab some 52/PW side by sides for you tomorrow. Whats lost on these by many I think is that Cleveland busted their butts to ensure at address they don't look chunky/thick/whatever, and they succeeded.

For my bag, I'm just not a GI player in the irons. I've tried that route, and for me, a blended set with smaller irons in the scoring portion works best for me. But, I also come back to the fact that these do not look at all "GI" at address.

Hope that helps! Will try to get you a side by side soon.

Also...

I. Just. Love. This. Picture.

DSC00796-XL.jpg

Excellent feedback James. I’d love to say all of this surprises me....but it doesn’t. Having played the previous version of these I knew these would be good.

Did you get any time with the OG CBX wedges James? If so, what would say are the major differences between the two?

I appreciate that a LOT!

I do play the combos, and honestly, the blend into the 52 from my PW in that set has been no issue. There is a slight difference of course, but its nothing I have ever even for one second given any consideration, which I think should answer your Q pretty well. I'll try to grab some 52/PW side by sides for you tomorrow. Whats lost on these by many I think is that Cleveland busted their butts to ensure at address they don't look chunky/thick/whatever, and they succeeded.

For my bag, I'm just not a GI player in the irons. I've tried that route, and for me, a blended set with smaller irons in the scoring portion works best for me. But, I also come back to the fact that these do not look at all "GI" at address.

Hope that helps! Will try to get you a side by side soon.

I don’t know if I could live without my combo AW but I am most definitely envisioning SW and LW CBX2s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know if I could live without my combo AW but I am most definitely envisioning SW and LW CBX2s

See I’m the opposite, I think I could go AW and SW, but the LW might be an issue for me.

I’d love to test that theory though.

Also...

DSC00796-XL.jpg

Z-Star's and the current Rotex milling are a short game combo made in heaven... fantastic photo. You've got me interested in short game forgiveness, chipping and putting alike. Benefits of a higher MOI wedges to chipping and pitching are enticing.

See I’m the opposite, I think I could go AW and SW, but the LW might be an issue for me.

I’d love to test that theory though.

Holding pattern due to GD but I will continue to follow along with this thread. May sos foen54 and 58 for Xmas

I think I’m going to get a 52* and try to get it bent to 51*.

Rumor has it (direct from source) a new club is coming out Very Shortly that will be the upgrade/replacement for the CBX irons.....

Also...

DSC00796-XL.jpg

I'm amazed at how much better these look than the previous generation...and I was fan of the OG. Excellent upgrade in aesthetics.

I'm amazed at how much better these look than the previous generation...and I was fan of the OG. Excellent upgrade in aesthetics.
100% agree.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am at the point now I believe I could 100% put a 48 and 54 in play longer term.

So hate to be a "Skimmer" however based on the Cleveland site, looks like there isn't a lot of shaft options.
Any feedback on the Graphite shaft on the original CBX?

I am at the point now I believe I could 100% put a 48 and 54 in play longer term.

I'm going with the same as well as the 60. Trying to keep a consistent gap.

I’m quoting this to earmark it, I’ll circle back today with thoughts on this specifically because I actually had this conversation about these just yesterday.

I'd like to hear what you have to say about them (CBX2) vs the MD4. I'm playing the MD4 in 48 and 54. I have a 58 but just don't feel the need to use it that often so I pulled it from the bag. The MD4 with the UST 65 gram shaft has been absolutely magic for me. I use the 48* as my AW and the 54* for chipping and a sand wedge. I use my set PW for longer shots.

Wedge play is my strong suit because I'm not a long hitter so I'm often in a position where I need an up and down to save par.

What I'm particularly interested in is how long it took you to adapt to the CBX2 from the MD4. It seems like changing wedges is something best done at the very beginning of the season rather than the end of the season.

I'm going with the same as well as the 60. Trying to keep a consistent gap.

I'm hoping to be able to give some comparison feedback on the same setup as my RTX4's versatility wise eventually.

I'd like to hear what you have to say about them (CBX2) vs the MD4. I'm playing the MD4 in 48 and 54. I have a 58 but just don't feel the need to use it that often so I pulled it from the bag. The MD4 with the UST 65 gram shaft has been absolutely magic for me. I use the 48* as my AW and the 54* for chipping and a sand wedge. I use my set PW for longer shots.

Wedge play is my strong suit because I'm not a long hitter so I'm often in a position where I need an up and down to save par.

What I'm particularly interested in is how long it took you to adapt to the CBX2 from the MD4. It seems like changing wedges is something best done at the very beginning of the season rather than the end of the season.

Probably not the person to ask, I was pretty underwhelmed by the MD4 in a lot of way (in the minority around here for sure, but we are all different). I haven't had MD4 in the bag for welllllllll over a year.

Taking them out to Cog Hill - Dubs later this afternoon. With over 200 bunkers, I'll definitely run these suckers through the gamut.

So hate to be a "Skimmer" however based on the Cleveland site, looks like there isn't a lot of shaft options.
Any feedback on the Graphite shaft on the original CBX?

I believe the CBX 2 graphite offering is the same 'ROTEX PRECISION GRAPHITE' wedge flex shaft as in the earlier version. If so, I have that shaft in all my CBX wedges (48,54,60). It's the first time I had graphite wedges and they do feel lighter but I was upgrading from some very heavy (IMO) wedges ... 1st version PM grinds with stock steel. I went the CBX route primarily to step seamlessly from my CB GI irons. My irons are graphite so it made sense to me to go graphite with my wedges too. I don't know what a 'better wedge shaft upgrade' might offer but the ROTEX have been an excellent performer for me...caveat being that I'm not a high swing speed player and I'm also not one who goes full tilt with my wedges. I'm sure the shafts would hold up if you're the opposite. But for me precision, contact, and control suffer if I go at it too hard with a wedge. I don't think it's a shaft issue at all though, It's always been the same issues when I gamed the stiffest heaviest steel options too.

I'm hoping to be able to give some comparison feedback on the same setup as my RTX4's versatility wise eventually.

please and thank you. I'm in the market for a 54 to bridge from my G410 UW to my RTX4 58 mid.

Back