Breaking Down Swing Weight

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We get a lot of questions about swing weight vs actual weight and how swing weight changes. To break it down, we took a driver and used quarters in different spots on the entire club to show you how it impacts the swing weight.

Last edited:
Great explanations James! I was actually surprised that the SW only went up 1 point when substituting the 75 gram for 55 gram shaft. Was expecting at least 2 points.

Very thorough explanation. I liked the various scenarios, and drilling home the part about shaft profile affecting results as well is important. Makes me rethink the online SW calculators that only ask shaft weight but don’t pay attention to the profile.

I’m a huge novice when it comes to club building details, so I’m really enjoying this series. Everything is broken down neatly, and the Club Lab pops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very thorough explanation. I liked the various scenarios, and drilling home the part about shaft profile affecting results as well is important. Makes me rethink the online SW calculators that only ask shaft weight but don’t pay attention to the profile.

I’m a huge novice when it comes to club building details, so I’m really enjoying this series. Everything is broken down neatly, and the Club Lab pops.

Those are good to get a ballpark estimate, but you're right, many other variables need to be considered.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There really is no way to account for the weight profile of a shaft without having it actually measured. The online estimators will get close but shouldn't be relied on as anything more than a starting point.

I use a customized spreadsheet (with 2 different swingweight algorithms available) to convert actual measurements into a SW value. However the most accurate would be a proper digital scale.

Great explanations James! I was actually surprised that the SW only went up 1 point when substituting the 75 gram for 55 gram shaft. Was expecting at least 2 points.
I'd be willing to bet shaft tolerances played a part on that. Also, could like D0.8 to D2.2 and it's getting closer to that 2pt swing. Hard to tell.

That was good stuff. I recently built 3 identical shafts for my driver at 45", 44.5 and 44", I don't have my exact measurements with me, but iirc the Swing weight impact was like D1 (44"), D3 (44.5"), D5 (45").
I wrote them down in my basement and will have to double check. So the old adage of 6 SW points if lopping an inch off a driver was more like 4 pts in my test.

These days there are more grip brand/model options available than ever before, and I think the most common factor changing stock club swing weighting is the grip.
For example, most brands seems to be including stock on their clubs a Tour Velvet type grip, which weighs about 52 grams. However if a player regrips with a mid size grip which might weigh 65 grams, this makes the club's swing weight 3 points lighter. Or if the player regrips with one of the 35 gram Winn super lite models, this may increase the club's swing weight by 4 points.
So , all the grip options out there , either different grips or just adding extra layers of tape to build up a grip, can affect swing weight by as much as 7 points.

I'd be willing to bet shaft tolerances played a part on that.

True, alot of shafts that might be labeled as a 55 may weigh more like 52 or 58.

I have bought 7 of the same shaft over the past two years and their raw shaft specs say 68g; however on my scale they have weighed anywhere from 62g up to 68g. Most of them come in around 65g.

That was good stuff. I recently built 3 identical shafts for my driver at 45", 44.5 and 44", I don't have my exact measurements with me, but iirc the Swing weight impact was like D1 (44"), D3 (44.5"), D5 (45").
I wrote them down in my basement and will have to double check. So the old adage of 6 SW points if lopping an inch off a driver was more like 4 pts in my test.

Which shaft model? In recent years some graphite shafts are weighted especially heavy at the butt end, so as to create a counter balance.

These days there are more grip brand/model options available than ever before, and I think the most common factor changing stock club swing weighting is the grip.
For example, most brands seems to be including stock on their clubs a Tour Velvet type grip, which weighs about 52 grams. However if a player regrips with a mid size grip which might weigh 65 grams, this makes the club's swing weight 3 points lighter. Or if the player regrips with one of the 35 gram Winn super lite models, this may increase the club's swing weight by 4 points.
So , all the grip options out there , either different grips or just adding extra layers of tape to build up a grip, can affect swing weight by as much as 7 points.

Good call out. I am testing some hybrids and noticed one of them was swing weighting less than the other (D2.5 vs a C8). It then donned on me the one coming out lower had a Lamkin Arthritic grip on it.
I looked up the specs and it was a whopping 72g. 20g more than the stock grip.

Which shaft model? In recent years some graphite shafts are weighted especially heavy at the butt end, so as to create a counter balance.

Diamond Tour FGS+ Electric - its a cheap shaft but always performs well for me.
From the description I doubt it would have any counterbalancing. Also I have built shafts with this shaft and compared them to known counterbalanced shafts and this one always has a heavier swing weight at the same length.

Another great video. Kind of amazing if you think about how light a quarter is and how much it changes swing weight. Really makes me think we all might be overthining swing weight a bit haha

Another great video. Kind of amazing if you think about how light a quarter is and how much it changes swing weight. Really makes me think we all might be overthining swing weight a bit haha

In a previous video with shot with Danny Le, he talked quite a bit about that. That there are many players that cannot tell Swing Weight changes outside of drastic moves (both Danny and I fall into that category).

i bought some heavier weights to play around with in my driver, was amazed how much different 3g felt in the head. this kind of puts some meaning behind that.

Swing weight is essentially a measure of the balance of the club, and I think it matters a great deal to how the club performs for a player.
But achieving a target swing weight can be a bit of a pain in the ***, so SW is often times down played by club repair shops, fitters, and even some OEM's.
That said, if a club is within a "normal" swing weight range of about C9 to D6, I think most players will find it does feel balanced when swung.
However, if a player chops an inch off a D1 swing weight driver, and now has a C5 swing weight driver, it will likely not feel well balanced when he/she swings it. And I think the E plus swing weight putters that are common now from all the major brands also may not swing with a "balanced feel" to them.

I'm curious how swing weight affects play? As a noob here with the club building I hear alot of talk of swing weight but I honestly have no clue what mine are and it wasn't something that was even discussed at a fitting. So is it more just for a players feel? I know I like Cobra drivers more than TM because they feel easier to control. I know that probably deals with swing weight but no clue what those numbers are.

I'm curious how swing weight affects play? As a noob here with the club building I hear alot of talk of swing weight but I honestly have no clue what mine are and it wasn't something that was even discussed at a fitting. So is it more just for a players feel? I know I like Cobra drivers more than TM because they feel easier to control. I know that probably deals with swing weight but no clue what those numbers are.

Well, both of those drivers can be swing weighted to anything you would like (with in reason). It is the balance of a golf club and how it feels.
As far as how it pertains to performance? Going to be up to the person swinging it, as mentioned earlier, there are plenty of golfers that cannot tell much change.

I'm curious how swing weight affects play? .

Think of swing weight as measurement of balance, so that what you're swinging is not too heavy (or light) at either end of the club.
For example, if you tried to swing a club with super heavy head it would not feel "balanced" when you swung it, it would feel too heavy in the head. Or if you tried to swing a club with too light of a head it would not feel balanced either.
So a swing weight scale is used to insure that there is a reasonably balanced ratio between the weight of the head, weight of the grip end, and total length of the club.

In a previous video with shot with Danny Le, he talked quite a bit about that. That there are many players that cannot tell Swing Weight changes outside of drastic moves (both Danny and I fall into that category).

I do recall that. I don't really notice it with irons but having had 2 drivers with completely different shaft profiles I was definitely able to tell the difference between a counterbalanced shaft and a regular one. I don't know exactly what the difference was but it felt significant

Well, both of those drivers can be swing weighted to anything you would like (with in reason). It is the balance of a golf club and how it feels.
As far as how it pertains to performance? Going to be up to the person swinging it, as mentioned earlier, there are plenty of golfers that cannot tell much change.

Think of swing weight as measurement of balance, so that what you're swinging is not too heavy (or light) at either end of the club.
For example, if you tried to swing a club with super heavy head it would not feel "balanced" when you swung it, it would feel too heavy in the head. Or if you tried to swing a club with too light of a head it would not feel balanced either.
So a swing weight scale is used to insure that there is a reasonably balanced ratio between the weight of the head, weight of the grip end, and total length of the club.

I know I feel a difference. I know my old C200's played at D2 and the new Bridgestones play at D3 but I also have heavier shafts so I'm sure that changes things. I'm more curious about the knowledge aspect and how it relates. I like to tinker (although these Bridgestone clubs are working out pretty well) but seems like Swing weight isn't talked about much for us amateurs. Thanks for the videos, it's very helpful and I like to gain more knowledge on the club make ups.

I'm more curious about the knowledge aspect and how it relates. I like to tinker (although these Bridgestone clubs are working out pretty well) but seems like Swing weight isn't talked about much for us amateurs. .

"How it relates" is something you are going to need to find out on your own, through trial and error. For example, if you find a driver length you like, say 45", from there you may go on to change component factors (such as grip weight or head weight). For example, if you install a lighter grip on your 45" driver the swing weight may go from D1 to D3. You can play some rounds of golf and determine which swing weight you prefer.
For your wedge game you might have a stock 35.5" wedge at D4 swing weight. Add some lead tape to the head and you may create a D6 swing weight. Play some rounds of golf and see which swing weight you prefer for your wedges.
The reason swing weight isn't "talked about much" is because it can be a pain in the *** to achieve a target swing weight. Messing around with head weights, grip weights, club lengths etc... is so time consuming that most people, companies, shops etc.. .don't want to do it.

This was one of my favourite videos shot this weekend. Such an important component of club building that I am sure gets overlooked.

It's wild to think that a midsize grip vs a standard grip could be the difference of a couple swingweight points.

Such a valid statement. I think there are a lot of golfers who think that they can discern differences in swing weight, feel of the club, etc., and they really would not be able to make the distinctions if put to the test.

Back