Golf tech that missed the cut

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What are some technological innovations that came and then surprisingly went?

Square-shaped clubs come to my mind. Anything else that sounded revolutionary and maybe even worked really well, but is no longer a part of the tech landscape?

Taylormade XFT wedges

1) Flip Face - WHAAAAT the eff.

2) xFT wedges - Criminally under appreciated.

3) Pool Noodle Putter Grips - WTF Bridgestone

VAS irons. Corey made them work, but I don't know if modern tech could have saved them. Never tried them just look too weird.

All-in-one golf clubs. Picked one up from a thrift store last year and it's a real laugh to play with, but utterly useless.

VAS irons. Corey made them work, but I don't know if modern tech could have saved them. Never tried them just look too weird.

maybe the ugliest clubs i've ever seen

Bubble shafts. I still really never understood what benefit they were supposed to give you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upside down driver head....BAM!

Affordable putters... When did they start being as expensive as drivers??? I mean, I'd love to try a CURE or one of the other new putters, but no way I'm spending that much on one.

More to the point of this thread though, I played a bi-metal club with a shaft that was about 25% steel at the bottom and the rest graphite. I really liked it but I guess that never developed as a viable technology. Same with all-titanium shafts.

Bubble shafts. I still really never understood what benefit they were supposed to give you.

Oh man, that brings back memories. My first non Walmart level driver was a Ti Bubble 2 that was in a clearance bin and I think was like 8* and had an X Stiff shaft. For some reason I couldn't hit it very well :banghead:.

Ping i series metal woods.

Metal core golf balls come to mind.

Already so many good entries. My obvious ones have been mentioned (flip face putters, VAS irons, and square clubs). I would add the interchangeable sole plate of the Triton driver. Aside from the awkwardness of it, the ball was dropped on it's conforming status.

switchable driver faces.

Taylormade Firesole Off-Set Driver....

1_ba1ff5d0ab91cf62fbfde5c51b8cc9db.jpg

Didn’t TaylorMade make some wedges that had a sort of sandpaper face?

The Power Pod driver.
I hit one of these when they came out. It really did suck.

1_108bfdf625babdfb10159ffc30eef652.jpg

The Greg Norman secret. It actually worked great as a training aid

The Zevo Compressor Driver. Had that Kevlar (or whatever)piece connecting the sole and the crown. Didn’t catch on... UNTIL Callaway used the tech in their Epic Drivers. Performance? Or Marketing?

On a roll...Purespin diamond face wedge which supposedly had "X" amount of diamond dust fused to the face. Also Pat Simmons Tiger Shark putters that were bent shaft putters except the blade was easily 6-9" in length for "improved MOI" and had a big paddle grip. Hate to say it, but I had one easy to aim, good balance and nice roll but got rid of it because of the laughter, (me included)!

Still have my Bubble Burner Ti 2. A trophy in the closet and a reminder of when I hit the ball long. Warm and fuzzy feelings for sure and more then I can say for a whole bunch of more recent drivers.

Back