Golf tech that missed the cut

More to the point of this thread though, I played a bi-metal club with a shaft that was about 25% steel at the bottom and the rest graphite. I really liked it but I guess that never developed as a viable technology. Same with all-titanium shafts.

You mean like in my Stroke Lab putter?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

VAS irons. Corey made them work, but I don't know if modern tech could have saved them. Never tried them just look too weird.

First thing that came to my mind, I won a set one year and traded them immediately, called the Space Aged Gardening tools

Last edited:
Callaway Gravity Core

The hammer

Vertical grooves on a driver. Maybe not so surprising they disappeared.

Reviewing this list so far reminds me of just about everything that the Golf Channel has hawked over the years. Here today, gone tomorrow, but sometimes it reappears under a new name and/or owner.

VAS irons. Corey made them work, but I don't know if modern tech could have saved them. Never tried them just look too weird.

maybe the ugliest clubs i've ever seen

I had them back in the mid 90s and loved them. The woods were super long too.

They were ugly and i read last year that they were not very playable but I look back at them fondly.

I forgot about the square clubs. After reading this thread I looked them up. Now I recall the square headed drivers.

Vertical grooves on a driver. Maybe not so surprising they disappeared.
Drivers don't need grooves anyway. Honestly, no clubs need grooves if you're good enough to keep it in the short grass always.

Drivers don't need grooves anyway. Honestly, no clubs need grooves if you're good enough to keep it in the short grass always.

not that i put a ton of stock in him, but shiels did a video on a grooveless wedge and it didn’t go great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

not that i put a ton of stock in him, but shiels did a video on a grooveless wedge and it didn’t go great.

andrew rice did as well, the results will always be as you expect: equal or more spin on clean shots, less spin on wet and debris-filled shots

I had them back in the mid 90s and loved them. The woods were super long too.

They were ugly and i read last year that they were not very playable but I look back at them fondly.

Cleveland VAS were great irons enjoyed by a lot of players. They were a low profile head shape, which makes good sense for playing shots from less than ideal lies.Sadly, once CAD systems started designing irons, and the focus turned to computer generated MOI numbers, low profile head shape irons became extinct.

The stand up putter

How did it not go great?

How did it not go great?

I hadn't seen the video. But, I can't imagine a grooveless wedge would generate a lot of spin. Kind of like getting a flyer lie.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Taylormade RAC

The club I played at that time had a full demo set of these and I took them out several times. They were great clubs to hit, just so ugly. Would never purchase.

Flip Face putters
Toe UP putters
SLDR

Flip Face putters
Toe UP putters
SLDR
I was hesitant to mention the SLDR. As, I thought it wasn't a great fit for everyone, but did push the low spin weight forward idea. Now, we have drivers that can obtain super low spin while maintaining more moi.

But, their 17/1700 campaign was a little ridiculous.

I hadn't seen the video. But, I can't imagine a grooveless wedge would generate a lot of spin. Kind of like getting a flyer lie.

Grooves don't generate the spin. Grooves funnel water and debris away from the face so the face can generate spin on the ball. Given a clean lie (fairway, tee, harden, cart path, etc.) and a clean strike a smooth face will generate roughly the same amount of spin as a grooved face.

Grooves don't generate the spin. Grooves funnel water and debris away from the face so the face can generate spin on the ball. Given a clean lie (fairway, tee, harden, cart path, etc.) and a clean strike a smooth face will generate roughly the same amount of spin as a grooved face.

Tell that to the golf balls that had covers stuck in the grooves back pre-groove rule days. Even now a wedge will chew up a golf ball.

Edit: Even in the Shiels video, the grooveless wedge generated half the spin that a grooved wedge did. And that was indoors off a very clean lie (hitting mat).

Back