Shaft Adapters: Removing and Installing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the questions we get asked a lot is about how to remove and install a shaft adapter. Here, THP staff writer, Dan Edwards walks you through the entire process.

This is extremely helpful...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another cool and helpful video. I've never removed an adapter since I don't have the right tools but putting one on is pretty straight forward. I thought for sure there was too much epoxy going in that adapter but when none came out I was quite surprised.

Great video Dan. Very informative

This is the one I was waiting for. I do this currently, but it's always good to get tips and hints from people much more experience than I am. Well done guys!

Curious to hear how many people actually use shaft beads. I dont' know that I've ever used them before.

Adapters were born from an OEM goal of reducing inventory production and maintenance costs. Specifically, why produce or maintain inventory of three different lofted driver heads when an adapter lets you produce only one head ? However it seems the majority of players do not use the adapter to make loft and,or, lie adjustments.
I think Cleveland's most recent line of metal woods did not make use of adapters, and I am wondering if other brands will also return to same.

Great video. For one I never knew that I could use only a portion of the epoxy. I would discard the tube of epoxy that I didn’t use. Also good to know I don’t need to be excessive on the amount that I use to bind the shaft and adapter.

• Admin
Adapters were born from an OEM goal of reducing inventory production and maintenance costs. Specifically, why produce or maintain inventory of three different lofted driver heads when an adapter lets you produce only one head ? However it seems the majority of players do not use the adapter to make loft and,or, lie adjustments.
I think Cleveland's most recent line of metal woods did not make use of adapters, and I am wondering if other brands will also return to same.

Not sure how that relates to this video, but it's important to remember that adapters also make fitting 100% easier.

Great video thanks for that. @Canadan for those of use that don't have a band sander, what grit of sandpaper can we use to prep the shaft?

When I watch something like that, or some of the other videos, y'all make it look so easy and simple. Once I get into September and the workload eases a bit, I'm going to get some cheap shafts and try this in my neighbor's shop. Hopefully, it won't be too costly to learn!

Great job, guys!

Great video thanks for that. @Canadan for those of use that don't have a band sander, what grit of sandpaper can we use to prep the shaft?

Great questions as I was just thinking about that.

Perfect timing! I plan on doing this tonight for a friend.

Really enjoyed that video, you guys are making all these golf DIY builds look so easy! Thank you once again for sharing these with us!

There's no real standard here. I've even seen some people just use a screwdriver or a key to score the shaft.

The basic thing we're accomplishing is two fold... Getting the shaft to the point where it will fit in the adapter or head (often times the paint job will go beyond the .335 size), and creating an area that will promote a strong bond with the epoxy (slick paint with a top coat isn't great for that).

For me around the house, it's anywhere from 80 grit to 320. Usually in the 100ish range. You can even use a sanding bit on a dremel if you have one available.

Great video....I will blame you Dan when my wife grouses about me wanting to buy a shaft puller :act-up:

Loved the video! What grit sandpaper would you recommend for prepping the tip of the shaft by hand?

Loved the video! What grit sandpaper would you recommend for prepping the tip of the shaft by hand?

Look up a few posts : )

One thing that wasn't mentioned is to properly abrade the inside of the adapter. I have glued up probably 25 adapters and the only one I had fail I forgot to scrape up the inside of the adapter. On the 2nd drive I hit with it the club head spun right around. :)

I use one of these on the inside of the adapter:
https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-hosel-cleaning-system/p/gw1054/

Excellent video Dan. The one thing that can be a pain in the rear sometimes in moving an adapter from one shaft to another is those adapters that come with special ferrules that fit perfectly in the adapter. Finding a collared ferrule to match the adapter well can be a challenge.

Curious to hear how many people actually use shaft beads. I dont' know that I've ever used them before.

I'm curious of the same thing. I've never used shaft beads before & have had no issues.

Interesting subject with many opposing views. Some say it strengthens the epoxy bond, some say it weakens it. Some say it can help fill slightly misfitted shafts, some say it won't. One common comment is using too much is definitely not good. I've done clubs with them and without them and didn't notice any difference. I'm really interested in comments here.

Back