Adjustable Weights in Drivers

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So many drivers on the market feature some form of adjustability. Whether that be face angle, movable weights or even slides. We take a look at all of them together and break down what make's them similar and different.

I really liked this video idea. Its rare to see all these heads out on screen at once to get a good overview at what each company is doing with adjustability.

Interesting to look at everything side by side. I tend to stray away from the driver heads with a lot of adjust-ability, but I definitely see the benefit of having the flexibility.

Really cool to see the various heads and their weight adjustabilities laid out together.

Great breakdown on the various weight systems. I know it will be personal preference to the golfer but is there one weight system that produces better results in your testing?

Great breakdown on the various weight systems. I know it will be personal preference to the golfer but is there one weight system that produces better results in your testing?

Yeah, “best” is hard.

For my personal game, the M5 was pretty killer to tune in.

As far as most effective weight system (meaning able to see definite changes in flight) I actually think the Cortex is the best on the market.

Pretty cool video that shows different options. Surprised no F9 with its simple adjustment, must not have had one laying around THP HQ

Thanks for sharing. Informative.

Great video showing the different types and how each works. Thank you!

As a relative newbie to a lot of the technology that these drivers pack into them. What exactly does a heavier weight do for someone? For instance, I have a Callaway Rogue driver. I do know there is ability to change weight on it, but I have no idea what the extra or lighter weights would do.

Yeah, “best” is hard.

For my personal game, the M5 was pretty killer to tune in.

As far as most effective weight system (meaning able to see definite changes in flight) I actually think the Cortex is the best on the market.

Thanks for the answer on that!

Cool to see all of the heads side by side.

Here’s a pic of my M5 - it looks a little weird but it’s working very well for me.

After watching the swing weight video, makes me wonder where this extra weight puts it on the swing weight scale. The extra weight is 6 grams I believe.
4b7e056ead6b527dfb2b03de8f4e9ca6.jpg

Here’s a pic of my M5 - it looks a little weird but it’s working very well for me.

After watching the swing weight video, makes me wonder where this extra weight puts it on the swing weight scale. The extra weight is 6 grams I believe.

Thanks Bri, when the guys and I were talking in the Club Lab I had the realization there really hasn’t been anything out there that puts the biggest adjustable driver heads together to show how the placements vary.

I know many say it’s all the same when it comes to clubs, but it’s really not.

I'm wondering if the extra weight renders the clubhead non-conforming. I thought I read somewhere that if there are a different number of weights than the club was tested with that it was non-conforming.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I know many say it’s all the same when it comes to clubs, but it’s really not.

Who says that? That's never been further from the truth as it is today.

I'm wondering if the extra weight renders the clubhead non-conforming. I thought I read somewhere that if there are a different number of weights than the club was tested with that it was non-conforming.

No, adding a third same size weight does not make it non-conforming.
Adding more weight can alter CT, with that said, adding a 3rd to the M5 has not proven to do that in any testing we have seen.

No, adding a third same size weight does not make it non-conforming.
Adding more weight can alter CT, with that said, adding a 3rd to the M5 has not proven to do that in any testing we have seen.

Not implying you're wrong, but do you have any idea where that's written? I know I read somewhere that the head must be as described on the conforming head list and if it lists it as having 2 weights, then 3 would render it non-conforming.

EDIT: is there an affordable way to have a head's CT measured?

Not implying you're wrong, but do you have any idea where that's written? I know I read somewhere that the head must be as described on the conforming head list and if it lists it as having 2 weights, then 3 would render it non-conforming.

The rules of golf state that you cannot add anything to the driver that impacts performance however there are exceptions. For instance aiming bars are not allowed. Some weights are not allowed.
In the instance of adding a third weight, we tested this at an OEM to see if it failed a CT test and it did not. Would I do it if I was in a sanctioned event? Sure, as long as I notified them first.

In my opinion the amount of the weight is what is at stake here, pertaining only to adding weight to the head. Lead tape, Hot Melt and external weights should all be examined. For instance, changing the weights out for heavier ones, would still list the club as having two weights (per example used), but would do the same thing as adding an additional weight, hot melt or lead tape.

The rules of golf state that you cannot add anything to the driver that impacts performance however there are exceptions. For instance aiming bars are not allowed. Some weights are not allowed.
In the instance of adding a third weight, we tested this at an OEM to see if it failed a CT test and it did not. Would I do it if I was in a sanctioned event? Sure, as long as I notified them first.

In my opinion the amount of the weight is what is at stake here, pertaining only to adding weight to the head. Lead tape, Hot Melt and external weights should all be examined. For instance, changing the weights out for heavier ones, would still list the club as having two weights (per example used), but would do the same thing as adding an additional weight, hot melt or lead tape.

Thanks for clarifying - I don't think I would be accused by any playing partners (particularly based on performance), but I am going to show it to the pro at the home course.

Thanks for clarifying - I don't think I would be accused by any playing partners (particularly based on performance), but I am going to show it to the pro at the home course.

I sent an email inquiry to the USGA. I'm genuinely curious as adding a weight should be cheaper (and will theoretically provide more adjustability) than buying new heavier weights.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I guess the smaller weights wouldn't provide as much adjustability because you wouldn't be able to move them as far out in the tracks.

Your performance can't be that bad if you're an 8 handicap, can it?

I sent an email inquiry to the USGA. I'm genuinely curious as adding a weight should be cheaper (and will theoretically provide more adjustability) than buying new heavier weights.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I guess the smaller weights wouldn't provide as much adjustability because you wouldn't be able to move them as far out in the tracks.

Your performance can't be that bad if you're an 8 handicap, can it?

Ask JB... I was trash at the TM event, but have been playing pretty well with the new additions in the bag, conforming or otherwise!

Self-righteous bump on this one as well, where else are you going to see all these driver heads in ONE place on ONE screen? Kinda fun to see all the different adjustability side by side!

Jman;n8874751 said:
Self-righteous bump on this one as well, where else are you going to see all these driver heads in ONE place on ONE screen? Kinda fun to see all the different adjustability side by side!

So much is similar between some of these options but it’s always cool to see some different options pop up (Hi, Mizuno).

Molten;n8876306 said:
So much is similar between some of these options but it’s always cool to see some different options pop up (Hi, Mizuno).

Totally agree. So many say "its all the same", but when you SEE the placement of them all, they don't seem so much so, ya know?

Back