Adjustable Weights in Drivers

Jman;n8876856 said:
Totally agree. So many say "its all the same", but when you SEE the placement of them all, they don't seem so much so, ya know?

I was really wondering how much the Mizuno slides can alter things. The placement makes my brain wander.

Just a correction on the video regarding the ST190G head: it was stated that the weights are 11g each. From the factory, they are actually 7g, although it is entirely plausible that Mizuno has heavier versions available or there will be aftermarket ones out at some point. Weighed mine on a yet un-used spare head that I'm thinking of trying.

Also pics of the weights right from Mizuno: https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/golf-c...st190-drivers/

BriMac;n8628365 said:
Cool to see all of the heads side by side.

Here’s a pic of my M5 - it looks a little weird but it’s working very well for me.

After watching the swing weight video, makes me wonder where this extra weight puts it on the swing weight scale. The extra weight is 6 grams I believe.

Simple swing weighting stuff that can be found easily on the web: adding to the head in 1g increments boosts the SW by about .5. So adding 6g could take you from a D4 to D7, for example. Lead tape or hot melt as previously mentioned will do the same.

Hammer22;n8877274 said:
Just a correction on the video regarding the ST190G head: it was stated that the weights are 11g each. From the factory, they are actually 7g, although it is entirely plausible that Mizuno has heavier versions available or there will be aftermarket ones out at some point. Weighed mine on a yet un-used spare head that I'm thinking of trying.

Also pics of the weights right from Mizuno: https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/golf-c...st190-drivers/

Simple swing weighting stuff that can be found easily on the web: adding to the head in 1g increments boosts the SW by about .5. So adding 6g could take you from a D4 to D7, for example. Lead tape or hot melt as previously mentioned will do the same.

Before I did the video I removed and checked all of the weights via what’s stated on them, as well as on the scale in the THP Club Lab.

That mizuno head is/was a stock head as well, fwiw.

Nappy;n8624835 said:
Interesting to look at everything side by side. I tend to stray away from the driver heads with a lot of adjust-ability, but I definitely see the benefit of having the flexibility.

I think really if you're getting professionally fit they should set it and you should forget it LOL!! Too many of us like messing with it all the time (DataDude looks in the mirror shamefully).

The only difference I’ve ever noticed on weights is on the sub zero drivers. Moving the heavy weight forward reduces spin but reduces forgiveness. Other than that, I’ve never owned a driver where I’ve noticed any difference in performance when changing weight positions. I stay away from heads with all the adjustability for that reason. It becomes a mind f**k for me and in reality it’s my swing, not the weight position, that needs adjusting.

Jman;n8877284 said:
Before I did the video I removed and checked all of the weights via what’s stated on them, as well as on the scale in the THP Club Lab.

That mizuno head is/was a stock head as well, fwiw.

Weird. While there are two grooves on each weight that looks like "11", they are just "II" carved in for whatever reason. Mine has them as well, but the weights are just 7g each as Mizuno claims is stock:

Mizuno-ST190g-Driver-Master-01.jpg

The "grooves" can be seen a little easier in the upper right of this composite as well - they look like a number, but aren't:

MizunoST190G-1300-Wall.jpg

Hammer22;n8877349 said:
Weird. While there are two grooves on each weight that looks like "11", they are just "II" carved in for whatever reason. Mine has them as well, but the weights are just 7g each as Mizuno claims is stock:

The "grooves" can be seen a little easier in the upper right of this composite as well - they look like a number, but aren't:

I know dude, that’s why I also weighed them (and al the weights on all the driver heads we had there).

In the end, either way it’s not that big of a deal and the point of the whole thing was giving people a visual side by side of the different moveable weight tech that is out there.

Jman;n8877409 said:
I know dude, that’s why I also weighed them (and al the weights on all the driver heads we had there).

In the end, either way it’s not that big of a deal and the point of the whole thing was giving people a visual side by side of the different moveable weight tech that is out there.

I can confirm that all weights were weighed prior to filming.

Jman;n8877409 said:

A stickler for detail, that's all. Just wanting to be 100% sure you were 100% sure, which means there may be other options on the weights that could be scored through Mizuno.

------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just got a note from someone at Mizuno. The weights are only available in 7g as they state. Your scale is off.

Last edited:
Back