Importance of getting fit properly

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
Around these parts there are "no golfers over 5'10" tall" because 90% of places don't have the longer shafts and club heads with a variety of lies. You try out the standard lie, then they take a tape measure and fill out paperwork. Getting properly fit can be ... interesting. It's trial and error.

I've had this tendency to hook for the past 8 years. I've been fitted with +1" length and 2 degree upright lie. The hook is most evident on my long irons through 7 iron. It's a draw on my 8, 9 iron. And not evident at all on my PW & GW probably due to the backspin overriding the sidespin.

I've spent a ton of money on lessons and nothing has changed this. No swing changes, grip changes, nothing has affected this tendency. I can compensate for it by cupping my wrist at the top of my backswing and hope I get the timing right through impact. The problem is that this forms a habit and carries over to the driver where I need to keep my wrist flatter otherwise I slice my tee shots.

Would a flatter lie open the club face more?

I've called Cobra and they'll bend my clubs for no charge and with no affect on the warranty. I'm thinking going to 0 degree lie for 5-7; 1 degree upright for 8-9; and leave everything else alone.

Thoughts?

I am 6' and play. 50" over, standard lie. Tried 1-2* up and as you have seen the hook monster gets worst.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

i'm going to ask not to be mean but to try and understand the whole situation - do you swing hard? If you dont than I would recommend going forward with the bending since it can hurt anymore than what you're doing now. If you do swing hard, have you tried slowing down a bit to see if maybe it helps with your timing issue in the longer irons?

i'm going to ask not to be mean but to try and understand the whole situation - do you swing hard? If you dont than I would recommend going forward with the bending since it can hurt anymore than what you're doing now. If you do swing hard, have you tried slowing down a bit to see if maybe it helps with your timing issue in the longer irons?

Good answer !

I have the F9 One Lengths. But to answer your question, I get after it in my downswing. I always have. I have what has been described as very good swing tempo, and a smooth transition. Driver SS is about 94.

If it were me I would have one club bent a degree or two flat and see if that doesn’t tame the hook a bit.

We confirmed the fitting on a lie board with a ball and marker.... I need to go to "standard" lie, meaning the clubs need to be bent 2 degrees flatter than they are.

Cheek out the video on TXG's YouTube channel about lie angles. Ian Fraser (owner of TXG) found that his lie angles needed to be set completely different to the standard approach.

You may be the sane as him?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheek out the video on TXG's YouTube channel about lie angles. Ian Fraser (owner of TXG) found that his lie angles needed to be set completely different to the standard approach.

You may be the sane as him?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

that was an interesting video. basically said using a lie board and tape is not the best way to do it, you need to fit based on ball flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

that was an interesting video. basically said using a lie board and tape is not the best way to do it, you need to fit based on ball flight.

Bingo. You gonna go with what you physically see or what a sharpie line is gonna tell you?

Around these parts there are "no golfers over 5'10" tall" because 90% of places don't have the longer shafts and club heads with a variety of lies. You try out the standard lie, then they take a tape measure and fill out paperwork. Getting properly fit can be ... interesting. It's trial and error.

I've had this tendency to hook for the past 8 years. I've been fitted with +1" length and 2 degree upright lie. The hook is most evident on my long irons through 7 iron. It's a draw on my 8, 9 iron. And not evident at all on my PW & GW probably due to the backspin overriding the sidespin.

I've spent a ton of money on lessons and nothing has changed this. No swing changes, grip changes, nothing has affected this tendency. I can compensate for it by cupping my wrist at the top of my backswing and hope I get the timing right through impact. The problem is that this forms a habit and carries over to the driver where I need to keep my wrist flatter otherwise I slice my tee shots.

Would a flatter lie open the club face more?

I've called Cobra and they'll bend my clubs for no charge and with no affect on the warranty. I'm thinking going to 0 degree lie for 5-7; 1 degree upright for 8-9; and leave everything else alone.

Thoughts?

I think this is a fantastic idea.

I think you're on the right track and given all the work you've put in it makes a lot of sense to see if flatter makes the difference for you.

I know everyone, and every fit is different but I'm currently experimenting with flatter lie settings and finding a significant reduction in the numbers of hooks/draws and also their severity. My 2H (not adjustable) is my newest club. It hits the gap I bought it for pretty well but I need to replace it because I'm now terrified to hit it when it matters because it's so prone to big score killing hooks. One of the club lines I'm testing to replace it is the PING G410 (testing the 3H, 7W, & 5W in that lineage). G410 offers the ability to set it flatter and also to open the face a little by lowering loft.

I see a major difference when I analyze my G410 shots at a neutral lie setting versus flat:
Neut: Hook 13.4% / Draw 59.7% / Straight 20.7% / Fade 6.1% / no slices ..... Miss Left 37.8% / On Target Line 61.0% / Miss Right 1.2 % / Likely Result in Penalties 9.8%
Flat: Hook 7.4% / Draw 28.0% / Straight 33.3% / Fade 31.4% / no slices ..... Miss Left 20.4% / On Target Line 70.4% / Miss Right 9.3 % / Likely Result in Penalties 3.7%

Last edited:

They didn't say it was useless either. It's all we have around here unless you want to spend 5 - 6 hours in the car and pay a lot of money. It's not 5 or 6 hours in distance. It's 5 or 6 hours in traffic.

However, I know my ball flight tendency and I don't need to see it on a screen. I've seen it at the driving range and on the golf course for 8 years. So in reality I am going with what I physically see and not a sharpie line. The sharpie line just confirmed how much.

I'm also at the point of "what do I have to lose?"

Back