New irons to replace Diablo Forged

dixonterp10

Reaction score
Handicap
After 9 years with the Diablo Forged irons, I am considering replacing them. Looking to get a bit more distance, but more consistent distances off the face, especially higher irons.

Problem is, there are not a ton of quality golf shops in the area that offer a variety of options, outside the major OEMs.

Any suggestions on brands and models I should try? Does not have to be forged but I still want something that has a nice feel on impact. There seems to be so many great options, but limited in this area.

Thanks in advance.

After 9 years with the Diablo Forged irons, I am considering replacing them. Looking to get a bit more distance, but more consistent distances off the face, especially higher irons.

Problem is, there are not a ton of quality golf shops in the area that offer a variety of options, outside the major OEMs.

Any suggestions on brands and models I should try? Does not have to be forged but I still want something that has a nice feel on impact. There seems to be so many great options, but limited in this area.

Thanks in advance.

I would love to see you demo some Callaway CF19s or even CF16s if price is a factor, to see if you notice any improvements from your current irons. Well done sticking to the same set for 9 years though, very impressive.

I'm playing the Srixon 785's and love them. Probably the best feeling irons I've hit in a while. Very straight and consistent distances are hallmarks with my set. Also have the 585's if your looking for something more forgiving.

Lots of great options out there. I am partial to the Srixon line. The 585’s seem like they would be good for you to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to see you demo some Callaway CF19s or even CF16s if price is a factor, to see if you notice any improvements from your current irons. Well done sticking to the same set for 9 years though, very impressive.

my exact suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Srixon Z 585s, as others have suggested. Incredibly easy to hit and feel fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'll add mizuno jpx hot metal 919... they feel supersoft for the amount of distance you get in a sexy package... distance wise they are similar to my cf16s with a softer feel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Srixon’s getting lots a love, definitely will have to try those. Anyone have experience with the Tommy Armour Option?

I played diablo edge for 6 years and had a hard time feeling good with another iron. I tried apex cf16 and cobra one lengths. I always reverted back to the diablo. This year i went and was fit into Titleist ap1's. Have not looked back. Clubs feel very good and consistent. No regrets.

Hogan PTx Pro. Great feel, very consistent and good distance, factory direct pricing.

Has anyone gamed the DFs and tried the CBX irons or M4s? Interested in these two as well.

If you liked the Callaways, and I'm guessing you did since you had them in play for 9 years, I'd look to the CF19. They're a premium iron, as the Diablo Forged were, and in the same vein. CF16 on Callaway Pre Owned is another fantastic option. Also wouldn't be surprised if we see a replacement for the Rogue Pro soon, which would be a similar profile at a lower cost than the Apex.

If you want more forgiveness , the new big berthas are also nice. I’d wait if you can till Jan/feb, trade in bonus and the 19 models will go down on price

Another vote for the Srixon line here, and don't be afraid to try all 3 clubs in the latest line - I went from the Z545 to a combo set of Z785 and Z-Forged as they are so easy to hit

dixonterp10;n8628292 said:
Srixon’s getting lots a love, definitely will have to try those. Anyone have experience with the Tommy Armour Option?

It’s the Dick’s house brand. Nothing wrong with them but you get nothing but a standard config. I would look for a used set of JPX 900 hot metals or Apex CF16s before buying a new set of TAs

Another vote for the Srixon Z585 iron......slotted pocket cavity, forged ,great through the turf, easy to launch .....better than the pxg's I had!

Can't go wrong with Mizuno.....

Apex CF 19s are my suggestion

Thanks for the feedback all. I am looking forward to trying the Mizuno’s, new Cally offerings, Srixon 585 and potentially the new T series.

I am really looking to get more consistent distance, especially from the 9-GW.

Back