Solved my issue getting out of fairway bunkers with...

TDG2019

Reaction score
Handicap
...my chipper.

After years of frustration I stumbled onto the fact that I can hit chipper out of fairway bunkers, and advance ball 100+ yards with full swing every time.

This game can be stupid at times.

I expected a new wedge under review hahaha but if it works play it... lower scores are all that matters

I had a horrible time with fairway bunkers until I started following a tip from an old playing partner. He suggested that I focus on and pretend that I’m trying to hit the front of the ball! This minimized the fat shots and greatly improved my FW bunker play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take one more club, and swing at 80% power to avoid sliding in the sand. I also never hit an iron more than 7 out of sand. The lower ones aren't controllable enough for my skill level in the sand. I will use a hybrid or 5 wood choked down though if the bunker lip is very low, they don't dig as bad as a 5 iron might.

Whiskey

ES grind wedge is my savior. I've been known to putt out of them if the lip of the bunker allows it

Just hit the ball first and it won’t matter what club you use.

Just hit the ball first and it won’t matter what club you use.

Yea, no need to over complicate it. Ball contact is obviously crucial. But unless there is a lip it’s basically a normal shot.

Back