Titleist T100, T200 and T300 Irons

Tenputt;n8874926 said:
It very well could be the shafts, which I acknowledged in my post. However, to me, other irons within that category (player’s distance) have a softer feel and a more muted sound (these had a somewhat harsh, “crack” when struck, at least to my ear). The feel of the T200 was a little on the brittle side of the spectrum to me. I picked up a competitor’s iron within that same class (player’s distance) and it definitely felt softer and more satisfying. It was definitely noticeable to me, although sound/feel are so subjective.

They definitely do not have a muted sound, I totally agree with you there.

I prefer the "crack" sound of a distance iron honestly. It just gives that thought in your mind of a well struck shot. But we all have our preferences. Who knows, when I hit these next Thursday, I may say something different then.

golfinnut;n8875324 said:
I prefer the "crack" sound of a distance iron honestly. It just gives that thought in your mind of a well struck shot. But we all have our preferences. Who knows, when I hit these next Thursday, I may say something different then.

I will be very interested in your thoughts. I think its going to be a pretty polarizing sound. Some are going to love it, some are not.

JB;n8875325 said:
I will be very interested in your thoughts. I think its going to be a pretty polarizing sound. Some are going to love it, some are not.

I think you're right about that. I'm curious for people like myself, who played the AP3, which one they prefer. Is the sound that much better, same, worse?

Tenputt;n8874926 said:
It very well could be the shafts, which I acknowledged in my post. However, to me, other irons within that category (player’s distance) have a softer feel and a more muted sound (these had a somewhat harsh, “crack” when struck, at least to my ear). The feel of the T200 was a little on the brittle side of the spectrum to me. I picked up a competitor’s iron within that same class (player’s distance) and it definitely felt softer and more satisfying. It was definitely noticeable to me, although sound/feel are so subjective.

Brittle is a REALLY interesting way to describe them. Great feedback my friend.

Canadan;n8875367 said:
Brittle is a REALLY interesting way to describe them. Great feedback my friend.

I'm trying to figure out how "brittle" feels in terms of a golf club?

golfinnut;n8875375 said:
I'm trying to figure out how "brittle" feels in terms of a golf club?

I'd think it's in the same kind of 'crack' sound that many Titleist lovers have come to enjoy. Between Mizuno, Ping, and Titleist, there is a clearly unique profile each of those companies are trying to achieve.

Excited for my fitting on Thursday :banana:

Canadan;n8881967 said:
Any predictions going in?
  1. I won't see much of difference in terms of distance with the T200's vs my current AP3
  2. At address no discernable difference either
  3. Launch will be more of a lower more boring trajectory (I hope) but still coming in at a trajectory high enough to hold greens. AP3's I felt went a bit too high for me
  4. Sound will be noticeably better
  5. I will absolutely love the feel of the T100
  6. AND ... I will put my order in for a combo set that day! 4 - 7 iron T200 & 8 - W T100

Canadan;n8875377 said:
I'd think it's in the same kind of 'crack' sound that many Titleist lovers have come to enjoy. Between Mizuno, Ping, and Titleist, there is a clearly unique profile each of those companies are trying to achieve.

Ugh. I know its a "Titleist Sound/Feel", but that click has historically been a bit much for me.

Home course is having a Titleist fitting this weekend at the home course. May have to stop in and try these irons out!

Just finished a fitting session today. Was fit for the T100 in a PXI shaft. I doubt I'll do it. I loved the looks but I've hit the 718 AP2s in the same shaft and that felt better. Glad I tried them though.

manhattan01;n8886514 said:
Just finished a fitting session today. Was fit for the T100 in a PXI shaft. I doubt I'll do it. I loved the looks but I've hit the 718 AP2s in the same shaft and that felt better. Glad I tried them though.

We’re the numbers pretty much the same?

So ... Titleist fitting day was yesterday. Came away with a few things.
  • The sound between the T200 vs AP3 is not that noticeable to me. I guess because I've played the AP3 for so long. Especially on off center hits (which I had a lot of for some reason)
  • Flushed irons were definitely pure & soft. Forged face on the T200 is nice.
  • This club goes HIGH! But I'm used to hitting the ball high as it is. So there wasn't much difference between my Pxi shafts vs Tensie Red (19* vs 18*)
  • Yes you read that correctly .... I was fit into Tensei Red graphite shafts. I just mentioned graphite to my fitter & he says "lets hit a few." First I tried Recoil's & they didn't fair too well. Just felt way too light. Maybe in a higher weight class, like what Danny could fit me into, would work. But these clearly didn't. I'll get into the numbers in second.
  • Miss hits were not penalized very much. My standard miss is to the right but I could definitely live with the dispersion that these had. Not very far offline.
  • Like I said, my miss is right with my current shafts. Once the Tensei Red was put in, I was hitting straight or high draw shots. My miss now became Left. Not one went to the right unless I really came out of it. I guess with the softer tip of the graphite, a strong grip, I was able to square or rotate the clubface over a bit easier.
  • Tensei took some getting used to (especially off of mats). It was brutally hot & humid yesterday afternoon, so they had the fittings indoors hitting to the outside. Once I started to let the club do the work & stop going after it, the ball just really flew.
  • ProV1 vs Range ball .... No comparison. I mean c'mon, after seeing numbers, how can anyone go to a range & do anything but just beat balls. You can't rely on distances with range balls, you just can't. Because I hit a bunch with range balls to warm up with my clubs, then did comparison with "practice" ProV1's to get the real numbers. To say there was a difference is an understatement.
Now on to the numbers & dispersion

T200#3.jpgT200#6_Tensei_Red.jpgU510.jpg
  • You ask why I have a picture of the U510 #2 iron? Well, let's just say I was more impressed with this series of driving irons. These are freaking launchers! What doesn't show on my dispersion picture are the shots I took with the U500 & U510. (Roger sent me the email already & then the results get deleted. He's just being lazy but hey.) The U510 teed up on a small tee (as if you were using it on say a short par 4 & need accuracy) just seems to go & go. I averaged 215 - 220 yards of Carry with it & the longest was 245 yards total with a ProV1. Just about my 5-wood distance (both are 19*) but the sound off the face is a nice audible "click" & it goes on forever, high into the stratosphere. I even teed up a #1 iron and disproved Lee Trevino's notion that "not even GOD can hit a #1 iron." These really are amazing clubs. And one will definitely be in the top part of my bag. It will replace my 5 wood that I don't hit that often, then I can carry an additional wedge at the bottom end. Do yourself a favor & hit these ... you won't regret it.
Departing Thoughts

In the little bit of time I hit these irons, they really impressed me. That is one thing I don't like about the Titleist Thursday's by the way ... there really is limited time to "really" be fit. This is why I went 3 times 2 years ago when I was fitted for the AP3's. But initial thoughts were that this club does what is advertised. The mishits were less penal & very forgiving off the face, regardless of where contact was made. None of my mishits were so bad that they wouldn't have been playable. My solid hits went higher, carried further & descended at a higher degree .... high, long & soft shots into the green are what these are about. I would have to get more time with them outdoors to really tell if the sound is less audible or not. The fact that I was in an enclosed space I think had an effect on the sound. Not to mention that I can't hear anymore ... just ask Mrs Nut.
So my set will eventually be 4 - PW of T200's with a U510 2-iron at the top to fill the gaps. My original thought of gapping the lower end with T100's just wasn't possible because bending them too much would affect the leading edge & bounce. There were just too many variables to overcome to do it. So this way I get the driving iron I can use off the tee, plus an added 60* at the bottom end if I so choose at some point.

So here's to getting into the upcoming Titleist event (even if that is what it entails) cause these bad boys are expensive when all said and done. Especially when you throw in a $249 U510.

Fire away at questions, thoughts or remarks

Attachments

• T200#2.jpg
    T200#2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • T200#4.jpg
    T200#4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • Dispersion_Legend.jpg
    Dispersion_Legend.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 8
golfinnut;n8886969 said:
So ... Titleist fitting day was yesterday. Came away with a few things.
  • The sound between the T200 vs AP3 is not that noticeable to me. I guess because I've played the AP3 for so long. Especially on off center hits (which I had a lot of for some reason)
  • Flushed irons were definitely pure & soft. Forged face on the T200 is nice.
  • This club goes HIGH! But I'm used to hitting the ball high as it is. So there wasn't much difference between my Pxi shafts vs Tensie Red (19* vs 18*)
  • Yes you read that correctly .... I was fit into Tensei Red graphite shafts. I just mentioned graphite to my fitter & he says "lets hit a few." First I tried Recoil's & they didn't fair too well. Just felt way too light. Maybe in a higher weight class, like what Danny could fit me into, would work. But these clearly didn't. I'll get into the numbers in second.
  • Miss hits were not penalized very much. My standard miss is to the right but I could definitely live with the dispersion that these had. Not very far offline.
  • Like I said, my miss is right with my current shafts. Once the Tensei Red was put in, I was hitting straight or high draw shots. My miss now became Left. Not one went to the right unless I really came out of it. I guess with the softer tip of the graphite, a strong grip, I was able to square or rotate the clubface over a bit easier.
  • Tensei took some getting used to (especially off of mats). It was brutally hot & humid yesterday afternoon, so they had the fittings indoors hitting to the outside. Once I started to let the club do the work & stop going after it, the ball just really flew.
  • ProV1 vs Range ball .... No comparison. I mean c'mon, after seeing numbers, how can anyone go to a range & do anything but just beat balls. You can't rely on distances with range balls, you just can't. Because I hit a bunch with range balls to warm up with my clubs, then did comparison with "practice" ProV1's to get the real numbers. To say there was a difference is an understatement.
Now on to the numbers & dispersion

• First thing, there was a lot of dispersion going on. Like I said, something I hate about hitting off of mats.
  • The purple circle were my Tensei shots. The red circle were my Pxi shots
  • One thing that immediately stands out is that the 3 longest shots were with the Tensei shaft. 173 yard 7-iron ... I never hit the 7-iron that far! Not since high school.
  • If you throw away the 3 worst shots in each, the averages show roughly a 5 - 6 yard difference. (Pxi will be first)
  • Club Speed = 80.1 mph vs 80.9 mph
  • Carry Distance = 152.1 vs 157.7
  • Total Distance = 164.4 vs 171.2 .... I can live with a 170 yard 7-iron all day & twice on Sunday!
  • Land Angle = 40.8* vs 42*
  • Launch Angle = 19* vs 19*
  • Spin Rate = 6812 vs 5890
  • What stands out to me is that they launch the same as my AP3 but carry further & land at a higher angle, plus all at a lower spin rate. So ... further distance & stopping power. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

• You ask why I have a picture of the U510 #2 iron? Well, let's just say I was more impressed with this series of driving irons. These are freaking launchers! What doesn't show on my dispersion picture are the shots I took with the U500 & U510. (Roger sent me the email already & then the results get deleted. He's just being lazy but hey.) The U510 teed up on a small tee (as if you were using it on say a short par 4 & need accuracy) just seems to go & go. I averaged 215 - 220 yards of Carry with it & the longest was 245 yards total with a ProV1. Just about my 5-wood distance (both are 19*) but the sound off the face is a nice audible "click" & it goes on forever, high into the stratosphere. I even teed up a #1 iron and disproved Lee Trevino's notion that "not even GOD can hit a #1 iron." These really are amazing clubs. And one will definitely be in the top part of my bag. It will replace my 5 wood that I don't hit that often, then I can carry an additional wedge at the bottom end. Do yourself a favor & hit these ... you won't regret it.
Departing Thoughts

In the little bit of time I hit these irons, they really impressed me. That is one thing I don't like about the Titleist Thursday's by the way ... there really is limited time to "really" be fit. This is why I went 3 times 2 years ago when I was fitted for the AP3's. But initial thoughts were that this club does what is advertised. The mishits were less penal & very forgiving off the face, regardless of where contact was made. None of my mishits were so bad that they wouldn't have been playable. My solid hits went higher, carried further & descended at a higher degree .... high, long & soft shots into the green are what these are about. I would have to get more time with them outdoors to really tell if the sound is less audible or not. The fact that I was in an enclosed space I think had an effect on the sound. Not to mention that I can't hear anymore ... just ask Mrs Nut.
So my set will eventually be 4 - PW of T200's with a U510 2-iron at the top to fill the gaps. My original thought of gapping the lower end with T100's just wasn't possible because bending them too much would affect the leading edge & bounce. There were just too many variables to overcome to do it. So this way I get the driving iron I can use off the tee, plus an added 60* at the bottom end if I so choose at some point.

So here's to getting into the upcoming Titleist event (even if that is what it entails) cause these bad boys are expensive when all said and done. Especially when you throw in a $249 U510.

Fire away at questions, thoughts or remarks

Really nice write up.

The T200 still intrigue me.

Good feedback there, I enjoyed reading that golfinnut

I rock a combo set

3 T-MB
4-5 AP1s
7-PW AP2s

(all 716s)

I'm looking forward to possibly building a combo bag of the T100s, U510 and some of the 620 CBs at the low end. Gotta hit a fitter and see where it all shakes out.

Cam007;n8886629 said:
We�re the numbers pretty much the same?
Almost. Dispersion was tighter on the AP2s but I also found them to be more forgiving. Spin was more or less the same...maybe a couple hundred less than the T100. Carry on the AP2s were a couple yards longer if I recall correctly and peak height higher. I think all signs point to me just hitting it better or just hitting better that day.

I really do like the looks of the T100. Thought about it more overnight. The thinner topline and less offset. Problem is...my swing probably needs a fat topline and a bit of offset.

manhattan01;n8887597 said:
Almost. Dispersion was tighter on the AP2s but I also found them to be more forgiving. Spin was more or less the same...maybe a couple hundred less than the T100. Carry on the AP2s were a couple yards longer if I recall correctly and peak height higher. I think all signs point to me just hitting it better or just hitting better that day.

I really do like the looks of the T100. Thought about it more overnight. The thinner topline and less offset. Problem is...my swing probably needs a fat topline and a bit of offset.
Utter nonsense.
You need to play what you're comfortable with, but your silky smooth swing can game whatever it wants. You cover the ball so well!

Can't believe I got in the Titleist club testing event. Now to try to decide between T100 and T200...
Guess I need to find another Titleist Thursday soon.

wluker17;n8903677 said:
Can't believe I got in the Titleist club testing event. Now to try to decide between T100 and T200...
Guess I need to find another Titleist Thursday soon.

I wonder if we can do combo? I could do T100 P-7, T200 6 & 7, and T300 4 & 5. I have also never been custom fit so this is going to be pretty awesome for me.

DataDude;n8903689 said:
I wonder if we can do combo? I could do T100 P-7, T200 6 & 7, and T300 4 & 5. I have also never been custom fit so this is going to be pretty awesome for me.

Your fitting will tell you what you need. I would get that done asap.
I can't imagine too many fitters going the route of 3 sets with these particular models though.

DataDude;n8903689 said:

The lofts between the T100 and the other two don't seem to match up well for combo sets. The T200 and T300 should though, I would think. I'd try to find a Titleist Thursday. Those guys should know

I hit the T300 irons with the MITSUBISHI TENSEI AV RED AM2 Regular Shaft in it and it was sweet!
First Titleist Iron I can think of that I could actually game.

Back