Recommend a driver that is more "shallow" than "tall" for me?

jhd12

Reaction score
Handicap
My eye prefers a driver that is more "shallow" - I don't like tall drivers at all.

Anyone have a recommendation for a forgiving, "shallow" driver?

Thank you very much!

My eye prefers a driver that is more "shallow" - I don't like tall drivers at all.

Thank you very much!

Check out the Cobra F9 driver. Seems to be pretty shallow compared to other drivers I have used in the past, and is quite forgiving (especially when you have the heavier movable weight in the back position).

Cobra doesn't know what a deep face is

I think the Cleveland Launcher HB is the most stretched crown I've looked at so far this year.

Looks like I was overruled don’t check out the F9 haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogue wasn’t very deep was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Check out the Cobra F9 driver. Seems to be pretty shallow compared to other drivers I have used in the past, and is quite forgiving (especially when you have the heavier movable weight in the back position).

this guy gets it

Rogue was the first that came to mind. XR16 before that if you’re looking for an older model. Maybe some of the PING G series? Though I don’t think the newer ones are all that shallow.

Ping G400

The Big Bertha Fusion had the most stretched crown I can remember recently.

Regular Epic comes to mind.... the only reason I say this is because I went from that to the Epic Flazh SZ and it is definitely a "taller" clubhead...

The TM Original One Mini is worth a shot. I have one in my bag and have been using it on any par 4 under 400 yards and many tighter par 5's. I only hit two drivers yesterday and missed only one fairway with the Mini.

Thank you very much!

Mizuno JPX EZ 2016 model driver

reviewcompareeztoe.jpg

Don't feel bad. I was thinking Cobra, too. My boy plays the F8 and I play Taylormade. I just recently switched to the M5 from the M1 440. The 440 was definitely not shallow so maybe that's what makes me look at Cobra as a shallow head. I dunno...

While the F9 isn't shallow, you're not wrong in thinking Cobra. Historically they've made some pretty stretched out 460 heads. The Amp Cell looked like a dinner plate at address.

I was at a golf shop a few days ago and noticed that some of the new Titleist TS series don't seem to have a deep face.

While the F9 isn't shallow, you're not wrong in thinking Cobra. Historically they've made some pretty stretched out 460 heads. The Amp Cell looked like a dinner plate at address.

Compared to some of the the past few years Callaway/Ping/Taylormade releases that I have hit the F9 appeared to have a shorter face, which is what I was basing my opinion on. But maybe they are all just deep faces and other recent drivers would be more appropriate (like the amp cell you reference).

..I don’t think the newer ones are all that shallow.

True. The trend in the last few years is away from the shallow wider faced drivers of the past. Suits me, but for you, older drivers are your best bet. The only one I can think of though is the standard AeroBurner.

But the shallowest faced driver of 2019 by far: The Taylormade Original One Mini Driver.

Last edited:
This not something I've noticed with 460 cc driver heads across the same years releases. I would think you'd have to compare from different years to see a big difference, like the Mizuno image above.

430/440 cc heads always seem to be deeper though.

This not something I've noticed with 460 cc driver heads across the same years releases. I would think you'd have to compare from different years to see a big difference, like the Mizuno image above.

430/440 cc heads always seem to be deeper though.

For the 2016 JPX EZ driver Mizuno chose to make the club wider from front-to-back, which allowed the company to produce a relatively shallow face, yet still 460CC size driver.

The Big Bertha Fusion had the most stretched crown I can remember recently.

The Fusion is stretched, shallow, and super forgiving, as long as you don't mind playing a triangle.

Back