Ball selection for single digit handicap - 63 yrs old

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

I took a hiatus from golf for awhile. Getting back into it. Fortunately, my swing is holding up but a bit slower at 63 yrs old. 85 to 88 mph driver clubhead speed. I bought a sleeve of ProV1, TPx, Callaway Soft and a couple dozen Kirkland Signature 3 ply urethane balls. I appreciate the feel and spin of the urethane balls on full swing approaches. Need to practice more with them around the green and ignore the range balls at my practice range short game area as they are typical surlyn pinnacle range balls that tend to run on chips and pitches. Haven't been able to hit two different balls from the same spot to see how they behave differently. But, the spin on all appears good. None are backing up. But, they are stopping pretty quickly on full approach shots. All 4 seem to handle the wind pretty well. Hope to get out and do head to head comparisons soon.
May need to add the ProV1x and TP5 to the mix. Probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Ball selection for single digit handicap - 63 yrs old

I agree with Dan. The RX/RXS should get a hard look, and honestly, I think it would really surprise you.

Have you considered Bridgestone Tour B in the RX or RXS offering?

I will check them out. Haven't ever played a Bridgestone ball.

What is the difference between the RX and the RXS? The Bridgestone website was not very helpful.

What is the difference between the RX and the RXS? The Bridgestone website was not very helpful.

RXS will promote additional spin, especially greenside.

It's a very versatile ball, and their cover durability is outstanding. Give it a long look.

I will check them out. Haven't ever played a Bridgestone ball.

They’re fantastic balls. If you aren’t getting the short game spin that you want the RX/RXS don’t be afraid to try the XS. I honestly think ball flight is the number one reason why I’d choose one over the other. My 14 year old son uses the XS and it’s by far the best ball for his game he’s tried. He hits a lower draw. He gained significant distance off the tee when he switched to it, was holding more greens from further out, and the short game control is insane.

I use the RX because I fight bad driver spin and hit moonballs with irons so no trouble holding greens. It cuts the wind awesome. In fact the first round or two, I went past the green on every well struck iron into the wind until I adjusted. It turned what would be a 3club wind for me into a 1 club wind.

And a quick teaser, I have it on very good authority (as in the guys in charge of marketing them) that Bridgestones balls will be SIGNIFICANTLY better next year than this year. And this years are great!

I would look at the Srixon line as well. Maybe the Z star or the QST line.

I would have to agree with Canadan and Jman.....Bridgestone RXS....and I will be 62 next month.

Q Star Tour is an excellent suggestion at a great price.

I was just dropping in here to say that. I've converted a couple late 50's early 60's aged colleagues to Q-Star tour's and they are raving happy. Full Srixon converts. RX and RXS are also great suggestions, though more $$.

Another vote for the Bridgestone Tour B RX is a solid ball or RXS is you are looking for green side spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the others. Srixon Q-Star or Bridgestone B RX or RXS are fantastic options. And, I am closer to your vintage than these other guys, so my opinion counts double. ha ha.

At 60 I have been playing a x ball for a while pv1x, tp5x, etc. But I would go all in on the Q star tour for everything but the short game feel.

Recently bought a dozen of the new Chrome soft and really like them, seems to do it all. I hated the previous version.

Going to keep using the CS until I have a core issue...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Another Bridgestone Tour B RX or RXS vote. The Snell MTB Black may be worth a try as well.

Similar age, same SS. In recent years spent most of my time in the Bridgestone and Srixon camps ball wise. Moreso now in the Srixon camp as BOGO made the season selection much easier. QST and Z-Star.
Having tried most urethane balls on the market, driver and iron distances varied by a very small margin, 5% maybe. And my swing is not consistent enough to realize that difference over the long haul. Each had their own nuances chipping and putting. Logically, we adapt to those individual nuances around the green.
Therefore it doesn’t matter which one you select. Other than as some have echoed on other threads, pick one and stick with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a sleeve of ProV1, TPx, Callaway Soft and a couple dozen Kirkland Signature 3 ply urethane balls. I appreciate the feel and spin of the urethane balls on full swing approaches. All 4 seem to handle the wind pretty well. Hope to get out and do head to head comparisons soon.
May need to add the ProV1x and TP5 to the mix. Probably can't go wrong with any of them.

"Probably can't go wrong with any of them" is correct. I play lots of found balls mostly Pro V1s and I have boxes of my favorites, but as long as they're urethane, I'm happy (well, the new Kirklands are meh, but not bad). If I have to break down and buy some boxes, I like the Project(a)s and the Q Star Tours.

Don't know where you found that green font, but it's hideous.:cool:

QST would be my shout, but don't overlook the Wilson Staff Duo Pro. Played with someone last week who used one and raves about it.

Callaway CSX

Callaway ERC Soft

Bridgestone Tour BX or RX

RX/RXS and Q-Star Tour would be my starting points

I'd definitely give my favorite ball a try: Srixon Z-Star XV.

Picked up a sleeve of Srixon QST, Bridgestone Tour B RX and RXS. Will see how I like them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back