What Iron Tech Works For You?

How so? I've been contemplating Srixons for my next irons. Should I look toward Hogan instead?

I had trouble on firm turf with thin shots with the Srixon’s and they still dug on soft turf. It wasn’t near as bad as a conventional sole and I didn’t really notice until I got the Hogan’s. The Hogan’s seem to have a little narrower sole which helped tremendously. The front edge bevel doesn’t seem to be as wide either. It could all be in my head but I seem to make cleaner contact with the Hogan’s.

I say all of this with the caveat that I get extremely steep. So if you have a shallower AoA you probably won’t notice a difference. And if you’re a picker the V sole may not even work for you

There's other stuff that can help too but those two right there get you to the point where, if you can't play with that club, you just can't play.

It sounds dumb, but my best rounds recently have been warming up with some 919 Tours and then taking the F9 irons on the course. If I can get comfortable with the Tours, the F9 will make me look good. I'm a fan of taking technology and help onto the course

Things like Cup Face are great but not quite as pleasing or as confidence inspiring pr as fun of a store as something like the V Sole or Tungsten weighting since you can't see it. I felt confident with my Cobra Forged Tours because I could see those tungsten weights on the heel and toe and felt like it would help me more.

I don’t know that it makes much difference. On July 24th, I played a set of Cobra cb/mbs. A week later, I played a set of Cobra F9s. I shot the same score (76) both days. With the players’ profile, I hit fewer greens, but had more real birdie opportunities. With the game improvement irons, my average distance to the pin was greater on my GIRs. To me, the correct shaft and L/L/L are the most important factors in making the clubs work for me.

I've tested many newer irons but not had them on the course, so it's hard to answer. I don't think there is anything recent that I would call a game changer though. I'll give a nod to tungsten weighting in players irons. I think it helps make long irons easier to hit high.

I don't really need the extra power of a players distance iron, but I am still drawn to these for 2 reasons: 1) I could still use a little forgiveness and these tend to offer that without drifting far from a players look and profile, and 2) I can stop my irons at a 5 and get either one more wedge or an extra distance club in the bag.

jail break for me. I think i would have similar scores with blades or SGI irons but If I went back to traditional woods/hybrids I would miss lots more than their jailbreak equivalents.

A year ago I would have been praising the SGI tech of my Mizuno 850s. While I could still feel off-center strikes, the distance from those shots was very close to shots struck closer to the center of the face. Exactly as advertised and what high cappers really need.

This year, I don't know what to think. Half of the irons from that SGI set are presently without shafts (it's a long story). I tried and failed to play a set of older cavity backs for most of this year (Snake Eyes 675 XCs). This past week I gave that set away. I'm now left with an old set of Hogan Radials from the 80's as my only playable irons.... and I seem to hit those better than anything else. (That will of course change.)

The only thing I know for sure is that my swing mechanics and impact position are very poor. They haven't yet come up with technology that can fix that.

Srixon’s V sole was a game changer for me, Hogan took it to the next level.

V-sole is awesome, and it's great to see other companies put more stock into how their irons approach and interact with the turf. The Titleist T100 is another great example, albeit significantly less prominent.

V-sole is awesome, and it's great to see other companies put more stock into how their irons approach and interact with the turf. The Titleist T100 is another great example, albeit significantly less prominent.

Turf interaction has always been the biggest thing in irons and wedges for me. Before the V sole the best thing I had found were Ping I series irons, specifically i5’s. V soles blow those away

Back