Apex CF19 and specialty wedge selection

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm playing the Apex CF19 irons and really, really enjoying them. They seem to be just the irons I've been looking for and the more rounds I play with them, the better it seems to get.

I only got the PW with the set which is 43*. I have a 48* and 54* MD4 as my AW and SW. However, I'm thinking of replacing them with Ping 3.0 wedges in the 46*, 50*, and 54* lofts. The 46 and 50 would be in the SS grind and the 54 in the Eye2 grind. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? Since I am not a long hitter and a senior golfer to boot, I'm finding that I need something between the 48 and 54. I could just drop in the 50* wedge for those in between shots, but my MD4's have gotten a lot of wear and will probably need to be replaced before next spring.

What are your thoughts?

I'm playing the Apex CF19 irons and really, really enjoying them. They seem to be just the irons I've been looking for and the more rounds I play with them, the better it seems to get.

I only got the PW with the set which is 43*. I have a 48* and 54* MD4 as my AW and SW. However, I'm thinking of replacing them with Ping 3.0 wedges in the 46*, 50*, and 54* lofts. The 46 and 50 would be in the SS grind and the 54 in the Eye2 grind. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? Since I am not a long hitter and a senior golfer to boot, I'm finding that I need something between the 48 and 54. I could just drop in the 50* wedge for those in between shots, but my MD4's have gotten a lot of wear and will probably need to be replaced before next spring.

What are your thoughts?

I play 48 (bent 47), 54 (bent 53) and 60 in my wedges from my CF19 Pro PW and it hits my distance gaps.

I say it on here all the time and will again, focus on distance gaps and not loft gaps, I've played setups where the loft difference of a PW to W was only 2*, but the distance gaps was a full club. I really believe we worry too much about making those numbers on the bottoms of wedges gap evenly and not much thought is given to how far they actually go based on how the individual plays his/her wedges.

What are your thoughts?

If you're due for a wedge refresh then certainly take the opportunity to reconfigure your bottom end, but like Jman said focus on gaps rather than lofts. That being said, if you're getting a 3 wedge set, it's probably safe to figure out the loft that gaps best with your set PW, then go with consistent loft gaps from there.

What are your thoughts?

I think you have at least one wedge that works well for you in all of the short game situations where you need a specialty wedge, i.e., sand, flop shots, short pitches, etc. For me, the Cobra King Black 58 Wide Low serves this purpose extremely well. Then, you look to gap distances back to your pw. I have found that not every wedge of the same loft gives me the same ball flight/distance. Don’t worry about the loft. If I were playing your set, I would likely play either the set gap wedge or a 48 MD4, and then a 52 with a versatile grind to go with my 58 degree wedge. I might bend the 52 to 53.

Yes good advice to pick lofts/wedges based on filling in the distance gaps. That's exactly what I think I need to do. I can tell that there's a gap in between my 48 and 54 so I need to fill that in or figure out a new set arrangement.

I ordered the Apex Pro 19s 4-9 iron and got a 45, 50, 55, 60 wedge set in the Vokey SM7s

I ordered the Apex Pro 19s 4-9 iron and got a 45, 50, 55, 60 wedge set in the Vokey SM7s

I tried a Vokey wedge and they just didn't work for me. Thus far, the MD4's are my wedge of choice. I just received a set of Ping 3.0 wedges but have not had a chance to test them out yet.

Distance gaps are more important that loft gaps. Try the A wedge that matches your set... if you haven't tried it you may be surprised

Back