Anyone use hotel/airline rewards for new clubs?

Clivis

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,
Apologize if this isn’t in the right forum. Here is some quick background, I started playing golf a few years ago with a second hand set of clubs. Got to the point where I was consistently breaking into the mid 90s. Had a couple major life events happen, divorce/car accident, that kept me away from the game but I’ve recently taken it back up. Decided to start with lessons that I’m taking a couple times a week.

Today I was looking at my Marriott account and I noticed the gift card options. Callaway golf, Amazon, and proamgolfusa are all available as redemption items. I have more points than I could ever spend.

My thought process was pay golfstix or golf galaxy for a fitting then go buy the new clubs using gift cards I buy with points. Has anyone done this? Any gotchas to watch out for? Any advice on if I should wait to do this until a specific season or skill level? I’m improving with the lessons, will my swing change dramatically enough to make holding off with it. Been going for about a month now. From the recent posts it seems like new equipment is coming out now, I tend to like brands ping and Titleist but don’t really care if I play better.

Last edited:
My brother in law bought a set with his miles. You may have to pay for a fitting at those places because they give you a “fitting “ based on the probable sale. They might not give you your specs either.

I haven't, but I have a friend who has. He did get fit before and ordered to his specs. He was happy with the decision.

You get more value using the points for travel, but, it's a way to get new stuff without spending money.

I bought some stuff using United Milage Plus Golf. I didn't spend miles, but earned them rather for buying golf related stuff at regular price. Worked out to be a pretty good deal.

Thanks guys. Found out too golf has a Callaway fitting. Station that will take them.

IHG (Holiday Inn) usually has some decent club options. I haven't bought any with points yet but probably will some day. I have a ton of points and not sure if we can use them all on stays in our lifetime as we don't like to travel a ton

Back