What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Just ordered 5 dozen Vice Tour balls from the internets! I've been playing mainly Titleist recently, Velocity's when I buy them and ProV1's when I get them for free. Which isn't that hard to do, free ProV1's can be found at most golf courses just off the fairway and around the edge of the tree line. Funny how for all the commercial hype they don't automatically land in the fairway every time! Recently I've had the opportunity to sample several offerings from the Vice line and found the distance on the Tour model to be very satisfactory, easily on par with the ProV1 or Velocity. At about $87 (with shipping) for 60 of them, it seems like a good deal.

Played the Tour B-RXS over the weekend. Good ball. Great feel off the putter and irons. Good length.

Recently I have been playing Snell MTB Black and like it a lot.

I won a dozen Chromesoft triple track balls and played them, also like them just fine.

I had a dozen Volvik Vivids left over from last year, so I tried those out. Can't say I am a fan anymore. Lost a lot of distance, 10-15 yards per club, and chewed the cover up with my wedges. After 3 holes the balls look like they have been through a war. It has been about a year since I gamed them, and I have gotten better in that time. I used to like them fine, because of their feel, but I think I have progressed past these balls.

One thing I'd forgotten during my 18-month time with AVX...and that's how the Pro V1x reacts on bunker shots.

Now that I've been back using Pro V1x for a few months I keep getting reminded that, if I hit a 15-yard bunker shot and only carry it halfway to the hole, well that means I'm going to have a 20-foot putt. Man do those things check up, especially playing off firm sand with a nearly square-faced 58-degree. Gotta either get that sucker all the way to the hole or make a long putt if you want par.

The last few months i finally decided to try using good balls instead of whatever crappy ball i have no problem losing. Ive tried Tour BX (shot my at the time best 73 with this ball), tour BXS, TP5 and X, Prov1 and X, liked them all, they all preformed well, BX then Prov1x then TP5 for me. I play a lot after work and its really hot sunny and dry in San Antonio right now so balls are hard to see so decided to give the Chrome Soft Truvis (black and yellow) a try to help with visibility. I play 1996 big bertha knock off irons (limited options for lefties when i was growing up but i love these) 7 iron 33 degrees - 195 yard club for me, high SS, driver usually 290 plus. All the balls are great, BX probably the longest and straightest with the lowest flight for me, but a little extra distance isn't too important to me and the Truvis was by far the best for my short game, the amount of check/roll was the best with the shots i personally hit. Love putting with this ball, rolls great and super confident at address with the yellow and black - first 2 rounds with it shot 72 then 70. All these balls were long and straight but found the Truvis offered the best combination for me. Love this ball and ordered a few dozen more.

Oh and the increased visibility and how much easier it is to spot and find these balls is an added bonus.

Titleist AVX - good ball, goes pretty straight not as much curve as I get with the ProV1, enough spin around the green. This could replace the ProV1 in my bag

Pro-V1
Had a little fun yesterday making them stop quick.
Might have to rethink my aversion to paying the price they get for them.

ArmyGolf;n8873926 said:
Played with the ERC Soft while hitting a few shots with CSX TT to compare. Very different balls but I find both offer really solid performance all the way through the bag.
I love the straightness I see out of the ERC, and I love the way the CSX just explodes off the driver.

I am in the same boat. I keep floating between the two balls. They perform differently for me and I cannot decide which I like better. I think the ERC goes straighter for me but I see some occasional iron shots that go abnormally longer than usual? I like the feel of the ERC better than the CSXTT and I love the yellow. But CSXTT I like better off of the tee and to putt with. I like partial wedges and chipping with CSXTT better than ERC. I think when the ERC are gone, I am going to try exclusively CSXTT for awhile and see how they without me alternating them in different rounds. I think I will get used to the feel if I am not switching between it and the softer ERC.

oumagic;n8875111 said:
I am in the same boat. I keep floating between the two balls. They perform differently for me and I cannot decide which I like better. I think the ERC goes straighter for me but I see some occasional iron shots that go abnormally longer than usual? I like the feel of the ERC better than the CSXTT and I love the yellow. But CSXTT I like better off of the tee and to putt with. I like partial wedges and chipping with CSXTT better than ERC. I think when the ERC are gone, I am going to try exclusively CSXTT for awhile and see how they without me alternating them in different rounds. I think I will get used to the feel if I am not switching between it and the softer ERC.

Agree 100%
The ERC has a really nice "go straight" factor for me, while the CSX has extremely good distance control from shot to shot. CSX TT will be my gamer ball for the foreseeable future, but I'd be lying if I said I won't pull out the ERC on those super tight fairways lol.

W/S Duo-Professional for the past handful of rounds.

It's performed for me. Love it off the tee with driver, just seems to curve less than other balls off less than stellar swings.

It does spin a bit less on approaches, pitches and chips but more than the Duo-U and well within my personal acceptance level.

I've scored better with it, all that matters to me.

UncleDanger;n8875060 said:
Pro-V1
Had a little fun yesterday making them stop quick.
Might have to rethink my aversion to paying the price they get for them.

Nice avatar!

Played the Srixon Z-Star XV on Saturday and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. The ball was very receptive on the greens and had a lot of checking power. There were a quite a few shots where I expected to be pin high, only to have the ball spin back a few feet. Nice sounding ball of the driver. High quality and practically looked brand new after 18 holes of golf.

Chrome Soft X. Hard for me to find a better ball for my game. Long off the tee (won a long drive contest with it), spinny when I need it around the greens and firm with the putter. I dont see myself switching from this ball any time soon

mmaynard11;n8875329 said:
Played the Srixon Z-Star XV on Saturday and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. The ball was very receptive on the greens and had a lot of checking power. There were a quite a few shots where I expected to be pin high, only to have the ball spin back a few feet. Nice sounding ball of the driver. High quality and practically looked brand new after 18 holes of golf.

I haven't played this ball in a while. I think its time to put them back in play

Scarnici;n8875338 said:
I haven't played this ball in a while. I think its time to put them back in play

I think you do. As most know I am a religious Bridgestone Tour Rx supporter and was definitely surprised with the results from the Z Star XV.

I jumped back and forth between the ProV1 Optic Yellow and the Chrome Soft Truvis Red/White/Blue. I like the idea of Truvis, but can't seem to get used to it around the greens, it's still a little too soft for me. A buddy gave me a sleeve of Chrome Soft X's and I'm excited to see if those feel better.

Z-Star XVs. So far so good. Not sure if they're better for me than the regular Z-Starts, but I don't seem to be losing them too fast so that can't be bad...

Snell MTB black. I loved it. I don't recall liking that ball as much previously. Played an older Srixon Z-Star XV last Sunday. It was OK, which is odd since that has been one of my favorites.

Been playing the Srixon Q-Star tour for the past 10 rounds. Loving the feel around the greens, but it is such a straight ball with little spin for me off the tee. I loaded up when a local Golf Town had a buy one, get one free promotion. I should be good until next year at the earliest and continue to see great scores because of it.

I've been playing Callaway Supersofts a lot recently, but pulled some WS Duos out of the box for yesterday. It was my best round in a while -- scoring, driving distance, and iron play. I'm not convinced it was all because of a ball change, though.

Srixon Soft Feel and Q-Star Tour are (still) waiting in the wings.

Q-Star Tours have become my ball of choice. Long, straight and, hold the greens well for me. And to think, last year I was a newbie and playing, dare I say it, Nitros and quite happy with them.
I did just order some Cut Blue DCs to try, I have ordered the Cut Grey before and really liked them if only they came in yellow.

I've been playing Bridgestone TourB X the last three rounds up against the Z Star XV I've been playing most this season. Yesterday was one of those perfect combinations of greens running fast and soil moisture/receptiveness, that I was seeing some fantastic action on the greens with short irons. It surprised me to be honest. I like the short game and putting feel. I will be continuing to alternate with TourB and Z-Stars for a bit, as they are both enjoyable to play.

Z Star
After two rounds I saw some impressive driver ZStar distance vs the QST and BRXS I have used for two years.
Honeymoon?
If I see the same results today and tomorrow + more spin around the greens I'm a buyer..
Iron shots so far have been equal to or maybe a couple of yards shorter than the lower compression contenders.

Pro V1X. Apart from around the greens, do not notice to much difference between this and the Q Star Tour I had before but the Pro V1X seems to stop a bit better on the greens if I manage to hit it right.

Back