Harry Taylor Wedges - THP Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This review is now up on the homepage, it can be found here: www.thehackersparadise.com/harry-taylor-wedges-review/

In for review is one that I have been waiting on, new wedges from a legend of the industry, Harry Taylor. Now, many will ask immediately "Who is Harry Taylor?", and the best answer to that can be found on their website (http://www.harrytaylorgolf.com/pages/harry-taylor-the-story). The short version though is this, Harry Taylor has not only played on the PGA and PGA Champions Tours, but he has designed for Taylormade, Founders Club, and Mizuno...beyond that his designs have been very successful and lead the companies to a large amount of success. He also has a long relationship with Bob Vokey as they were co-designers with TM and Founders Club. After some serious health scares while chasing another playing career, he has returned to what he knows, wedge design. There is a definite aura of "old school" to these from the aesthetic to the shaft/grip selection, and frankly they look fantastic.

THP was sent the 52.09* in the black finish and 56.11* in the satin finish.

Information on the Wedges from Harry Taylor:

I would like to introduce you to my new line of Harry Taylor Series 305 wedges. I have spent most of my life playing competitive golf from college to the PGA Tour and on to the Champions Tour. This has inspired all of my designs for metal woods, irons, wedges and putters that have become the number one clubs on the amateur and professional tours over my career. For the first time in history, I am proud to introduce a new line of wedges bearing my name. The series 305 is my finest designed series of wedges and I am absolutely positive you will enjoy them for years to come. I have produced the heads with the utmost attention to detail including sole design, cambered leading edge and an exact flawless offset for each loft. The shaft and grip choices are the number one most played components on Tour. The club heads are from the finest soft metals, chrome plated with precision milled groves. These hand crafted wedges will perform beautifully for golfers of all abilities, from the amateur to the best of the best on the PGA Tour.

I am confident you will love these wedges and I want to thank you for trusting me with the performance and growth of your game. Have fun and play well.

Wedge Specifications:

Our precision milled wedges produce maximum spin and control. Each wedge has been designed with the proper bounce to help from digging and allows the club to glide through turf or sand. We offer our Harry Taylor Designed wedges in five different lofts each precision milled with the proper bounce to execute great golf shots.

With over 30 years’ experience as a Tour player and a designer I bring you the finest wedges, shaft and grip in golf. I worked tirelessly to develop the milled chrome plated, hand crafted 305 wedge series. My designs have been inspired by my lifetime of working and designing clubs for the best players in the world. My milled face and perfect bounce will give you the confidence to hit any shot you desire from any lie.

Every single Harry Taylor Series 305 wedges come standard with the very best components in golf. The True Temper Dynamic Gold shaft is the perfect compliment to the 303 stainless steel heads. This high-flex, tour-weighted shaft allows for a penetrating trajectory at a moderate swing tempo. With the Dynamic Gold shaft, you can maximize the benefits of the Series 305 Wedge head which is designed to provide the very best accuracy to your short game.

The Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip is by far the most popular grip in the game today. With the non-slip pattern, sweat and moisture won’t reduce comfort or accuracy. Combined with the True Temper Dynamic Gold shaft and the most carefully designed wedge head, you can play confidently and comfortably for the full 18 holes.

I have designed many wedges in my career and I think the Harry Taylor Design series 305 wedges are the most beautiful best performing line of wedges I have ever produced. For the best design of my life, only the very best components will do.

Spec
Tolerance
Scoreline Width (top)
0.76mm
+/- 0.08mm
Scoreline Width (bottom)
0.41mm
+/- 0.08mm
Scoreline Depth
0.46mm
+0.03mm / -0.08mm
Scoreline Pitch
3.56mm
+/- 0.05mm
Draft Angle
16D

Specs.jpg

In-Hand Images:

DSC_1037-XL.jpg

DSC_1036-XL.jpg

DSC_1052-XL.jpg

DSC_1053-XL.jpg

DSC_1083-XL.jpg

DSC_1081-XL.jpg

DSC_1057-XL.jpg

DSC_1044-XL.jpg

DSC_1054-XL.jpg

DSC_1049-XL.jpg

DSC_1055-XL.jpg

DSC_1056-XL.jpg

DSC_1061-XL.jpg

DSC_1058-XL.jpg

DSC_1043-XL.jpg

DSC_1048-XL.jpg

DSC_1051-XL.jpg

DSC_1047-XL.jpg

DSC_1075-XL.jpg

DSC_1045-XL.jpg

DSC_1046-XL.jpg

DSC_1079-XL.jpg

DSC_1078-XL.jpg

DSC_1039-XL.jpg

DSC_1040-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Those look great, James. Intrigued by them, for sure. Cant wait to hear how they work for you.

I'll be the first to admit that I know NOTHING about these until now. I know this though, they are striking to look at and the soles are sweet! Looking forward to more.

JM

I look forward to hearing more Jman and the black look soooooo good

Fantastic looking wedges Jman. Had never heard the name before, so thanks for the knowledge. Very interesting.

Holy cow those look amazing!

Looking forward to you thoughts. The name just makes me think of Harry Arnett and TaylorMade however.

Really nice looking wedges. Looking forward to your thoughts James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up James. Man these Equipment manufacturers need to employ you for their media. Man these look amazing. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Man James great pics and great initial write up. Just so so well done

Great looking wedges. Can't wait to see how they perform for you.

I'm ready. Those look fantastic I love that dark finish. Great pic's. What is the price on these.

They really do look amazing. The pics are awesome as always James! Can't wait to hear our thoughts on these.

Fantastic photos (especially of sole and grooves). Clean looking wedges, looking forward to hear how they compare to the other offerings available today and if they stand out in any regard.

Great write up James, these wedges look great. Looking forward to your thoughts on them

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Hello Gorgeous! Tell me more!

Outstanding looking wedges! Can't wait to hear more!!

Those looks fantastic! Nice write-up JMan! Definitely would like the black.

If you bend the 52 to 50 that reduces the bounde to 7 correct?

Man, those look really good on the last few shots you took with the club sole on the ground. Very good.

OK! So, I've had 3 rounds with these in the bag as well as a couple range and short game sessions now, so, time for some thoughts.

They have a really pronounced "head feel" to them in hand where weight goes, they come in at D4 SW (and they checked out to that on my scale) but you can easily track where the head is through all shots. Not what I would call all the way onto the "head heavy" side of the spectrum, but they lean that way. Not overly cumbersome in any way.

Really nice sound/feel to them. A dense nature to impact, no high pitch click, just a lower tone almost thump. Remind me a lot of Vokeys there to be totally honest.

Versatility surprised me, particularly in the 56, as the sole lets you do more than you would think with the heel and toe relief it has, I opened it up a good bit where I could and thanks to the 11* bounce it was even effective on tight lies. The 52 I haven't gotten super creative with, but its been a lot of fun on pitches and greenside chips.

They're very predictable in distances once I got some time in with them, no strange reactions or "jumps", basically as consistent as they are clean.

The satin if my favorite look personally, and its wearing well. The black is showing a bit more wear, but its not any more than I would expect, I'll get some pics up here after a couple more sessions.

Where spin goes, I'm seeing what I normally do right now when considering they are new sharp grooves. I'm going to put them on my LM against some MD3's, PM, Hopkins, and Vokeys later this week with a urethane ball and see what we get up to for finite numbers. Its key to remember though, all wedges spin, technique matters most there.

There is a definite aura of "old school" to them and IMO it works because wedges are the one spot in the bag where that is often a sought after thing. In all, all positive thoughts so far on these.

Oh! Forgot to add, the shape is really just as classic as the pics lead one to believe, nice topline, clean look down on the face at address, and a leading edge that isn't too rounded or too flat.

Good stuff James!

Really nice looking wedge - the satin is awesome. At 149.00 ( satin ) and 169.00 (black ) though, may be a tad bit high. Still - I'm intrigued to say the least!

Thanks James.

With all of the testing that you do, I presume that you adapt quickly to whatever club you are evaluating. With that said, was there anything "unique" that made you take a few swings to become comfortable or were they like your favorite pair of kicks straight from the box? I'm asking since these are such traditional (old school?) looking wedges that they just seem like they should be old friends.

Looking forward to your Flightscope data.

Thanks James.

With all of the testing that you do, I presume that you adapt quickly to whatever club you are evaluating. With that said, was there anything "unique" that made you take a few swings to become comfortable or were they like your favorite pair of kicks straight from the box? I'm asking since these are such traditional (old school?) looking wedges that they just seem like they should be old friends.

Looking forward to your Flightscope data.

Wedges for me are the easiest to adjust to, its just a visual thing for me with them at address compared to so many other things with irons/drivers. Couple swings and I was in, actually got to know them over about 50 pitches and chips each just to feel them out a bit. I know I risk playing out the word, but classic is what keeps coming to mind. Just a super clean shape and a really nice feel. The price does cause some concern yes, but they are adamant those who hit them will be taken aback by them and from a feel perspective they definitely don't leave the user wanting.

I'm not a flightscope guy (I wish!) but I do use a full launch monitor and will have some detailed data next week on the spin #'s for everyone for sure!

Good looking wedge, pretty much looks like several wedges out on the market the past couple years to me.

Back