The PXG's will do nothing for you that a comparable set from another major OEM couldn't do at a lesser price. The only reason I have them is because they cost me so much less with the Hero's program (less than a set of Srixon's would have cost me).

If PXG isn't careful, this program they offer -- when coupled with the luxury/exclusivity message -- could be their undoing. Many brands offer military discounts (rightfully so), but not all brands explicitly want to be more exclusive than inclusive in terms of price. There is a disconnect there somewhere.

... KA BOOM BABY!!! Reminds me of the people riding in carts right next to tee boxes and greens, blaring music, drinking excessively and generally being loud and rude. A shame really as Parsons seems to have a good heart and I absolutely love his Hero's program. What kind of narcissist doesn't hire professionals to appear in their commercials, especially a high end product? I can't imagine a Mercedes commercial Ka Boom Baby NOBODY builds a better car PERIOD! Fwiw, I voiced the original Papa Johns commercials "Better ingredients, better pizza, Papa John's" until the narcissist that ruined their reputation thought he could do a better job insisting on being IN the commercial, and we see where that got them.

PXG definitely falls into the luxury category where the customers are paying for exclusivity, not better performance. They guys I knew at my last club that gamed them also drove Maseratis, S Class Mercedes, a 911 Turbo, and even a Bentley. They all couldn’t necessarily easily afford those cars but their ego’s needed to have them. I have yet to run into a low single digit golfer gaming a set of PXG irons but I’ve seen dozens with Miura’s.

I’ve always preferred gaming a set of irons that is less popular but would never consider PXG because IMO they offer zero performance benefit and project an image that I’m not comfortable with. Three of my last 4 sets of irons have either been Wilson Staffs and my current set from Srixon. One of my old neighbors who gamed the PXG’s I think felt a little sorry for my that I had to settle for Srixon’s.:act-up:

I have seen lots of players with PXGs, and lots of players with Honma. May depend on where you are. Talking to 2 fitters in the bay area both told me they move quite a few PXG units. A guy who I know who is not super well off (he works the trades and does not own his own business) ordered a set of Gen 2 irons recently because the performance was that much better than anything else he tested in his fitting. Said if he went with something else he would have hated himself for it so he bit the bullet and bought the irons he really wanted.

Overall I think Parsons has a different strategy and I am curious if it works out in the long term.

PXG irons aren't for the public golfer. Their was a wise Indian that was selling ceramic bowls. He had one for $5 one for $10 and one for $20. A coustomer said to him. Why the price difference? The bowls are the same. The Indian reply was some people like to pay $5 some like to pay $10 and some like to pay $20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If PXG isn't careful, this program they offer -- when coupled with the luxury/exclusivity message -- could be their undoing. Many brands offer military discounts (rightfully so), but not all brands explicitly want to be more exclusive than inclusive in terms of price. There is a disconnect there somewhere.

You may be right. PXG's Hero's program is a military and first responders so it's a much more inclusive program than what any other OEM offers at the moment. And most brands offer something like 10-15% and this was 50% or more off the previous generation clubs. Now it's a smaller discount on newer clubs since most/all of the prior gen stuff has sold. I'm really surprised they did that rather than pause the program until a new generation was released to unload the old stuff.

Some tried to disparage the fact that it was prior gen clubs, but often times a change in generation doesn't mean it's for the better. My gen 1's perform identically to any other players CB iron I've used with one exception and that was address by putting my gamer shaft in them. My MB's even performed similarly when bent to stronger lofts to match the lofts of the players CB irons I've gamed. So all that was to say, that some people either give too much credit to a club because it's a new release and/or too little credit to a previous gen just because it's not the "latest and greatest".

It will be interesting to see how PXG holds up in the long run.

They are quality clubs. Period. Will they make you play better than other premium offerings? No. Are they worth the extra money? Probably not. But if you enjoy having unique things and can afford it you won't be disappointed in them. I love mine.

I have posted this previously but sounds like most aren’t aware that PXG now offers a 0211 iron set that is about half the cost of the 0311 line. They have the same COR2 filling that Gen2 0311s have, and the same face material, but are cast not forged and also lack the perimeter screws. Supposed to perform pretty close to the 0311s but I don’t know anyone who’s played them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not reading all the responses. I think from the OP, perspective what I’ve seen has been similar to this “decent product, elitist, not better than the competitors “.

I won’t speak to how I view it, this is just what I feel is out there based on the OP only.

I have never even hit a PXG club for a personal perspective. I highly doubt they’d be better than I currently play, but I may be wrong. I’m just speaking to the original question and that is what I’ve seen from the average golfer.

I will say I have yet to see a PXG club in person. It’s just not real common here in goat ranch CC territory. In fact most golfers I know probably haven’t even heard of them since they’re playing a set of Ping Eye2’s and likely their 3w is actually made of wood.

I have a close friend who went for a PXG fitting. Like ANY other premium club, the shaft has a lot do with the fitting. He spent over $5K. Loves the PXG clubs. My friend is 3 HCPer. Is hitting his 7 iron 170 yards, feels the PXG are a little more accurate and LOVES them. Says they are totally worth it!

BTW he makes $125K, average lifestyle 50 years old. If you like golf, are a committed player, get fitted for whatever clubs you buy.

I have a close friend who went for a PXG fitting. Like ANY other premium club, the shaft has a lot do with the fitting. He spent over $5K. Loves the PXG clubs. My friend is 3 HCPer. Is hitting his 7 iron 170 yards, feels the PXG are a little more accurate and LOVES them. Says they are totally worth it!

BTW he makes $125K, average lifestyle 50 years old. If you like golf, are a committed player, get fitted for whatever clubs you buy.

I agree with this completely, and also agree that their products (at least the ones I've tried) are competitive. Some of their longer irons are fantastic.

When it comes down to it, usually the biggest beef with PXG is between the stigma, the arrogance of Parsons, or the cost. I think all are valid reasons to dislike the brand, but also perfectly good reasons to love it as well.

I agree with this completely, and also agree that their products (at least the ones I've tried) are competitive. Some of their longer irons are fantastic.

When it comes down to it, usually the biggest beef with PXG is between the stigma, the arrogance of Parsons, or the cost. I think all are valid reasons to dislike the brand, but also perfectly good reasons to love it as well.

The one think I would love to know is whether PXG turns a profit.

I never realized there was any hatred directed at PXG (of course, I've been out of the country a while). Bob Parsons is definitely a guy that can ruffle feathers though if that has anything to do with it.

I think (at least at my course), people see it as a waste of money that the product isn't worth the price. I've never hit them so I don't have an opinion one way or another about it; and frankly, if you have the spare cash and can afford them and want to have some nice sticks, who cares?

Entirely your business and not anyone else's.

As far as exclusivity, price vs performance and maybe a few other comparisons, I don't know how PXG clubs are all that much different than Scotty Cameron putters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

As far as exclusivity, price vs performance and maybe a few other comparisons, I don't know how PXG clubs are all that much different than Scotty Cameron putters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Their are lots of putters that are $350+ but not many irons that sell for $400 each. Scotty also has a huge edge because of their tour victories including dozens of majors. BTW, I'm not a Scotty fan, I own 35 putters and none are Camerons.

Last edited:
My dislike of PXG has nothing to do with Parsons, the elitist angle, or the price. I just think they're straight up uckin fugly clubs. But, variety is a good thing, IMO. Choices are always a good thing.

I am indifferent to the brand in general. I will never purchase them and could care less if someone else has them in his/her bag. I really have a distaste for Parsons in general. Not my kind of guy and I am not interested In supporting his interests. I am sure he won’t notice.

From the very first commercial, I knew I would never play these clubs. Golfers typically aren't arrogant, loudmouth a**holes. I ask myself, would Ben Hogan listen to the PXG BS? Not a chance in hell. Period.

From the very first commercial, I knew I would never play these clubs. Golfers typically aren't arrogant, loudmouth a**holes. I ask myself, would Ben Hogan listen to the PXG BS? Not a chance in hell. Period.
Ben Hogan died 24 years ago. He has other things to worry about than PXG.

Very observant of you. Hogan is dead indeed. Apparently, you're a stickler for grammar AND you have a problem understanding the point. Properly, I should have written, "would have." As for the latter, even Hogan couldn't fix stupid.

Back on point, hopefully.

I was early, Spring 2016, to get fitted by a private club fitter for irons and the hybrid. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? At the time, Callaway had the Apex irons and they were great irons - probably better than PXG. But PXG had the buzz.o_O

I think the dislike early in their setup only grew with the intro of the $750 milled wedge. I hit it. Also hit the less expensive - which were garbage to me. The milled was nothing special that Vokey, Cleveland, Callaway or anyone else could not outperform for $150.

I thought the hybrids, coupled with a fitted shaft, was the best club they made. I could still bag them but after 5 yrs, but went to the latest and greatest. And the PXG were darn great out of the rough with the right shaft. Pick up a Gen 1 sometime if interested. They should be at a good price now.

The irons? I think they were more advantageous for higher speed players. Just my opinion.

As to hate, no ... we have so many options and they are all competitive. Buy what fits your game.

Parsons? I laugh a bit at the commercials.:censored::LOL:

I don’t like the commercials, but that didn’t stop me from hitting the wedges during my fitting.

I think an argument could be made that most golfers are arrogant, actually. The elitist mindset is a large part of the reason PXG was so successful early on. Now, they've done a 180 and the prices are amongst the lowest available. They definitely have a very odd strategy.

I think an argument could be made that most golfers are arrogant, actually. The elitist mindset is a large part of the reason PXG was so successful early on. Now, they've done a 180 and the prices are amongst the lowest available. They definitely have a very odd strategy.

When PXG made its debut, I remember being in San Antonio for a legal conference at a resort and some guys pulling up the Cadillac SUV with a full bag of PXG, drawing on a cigar. Looked like oil men. I laughed. The driver and woods were sh$t at the time in comparison to others. They've made strides, from reviews, since that time.

Back