Cleveland RTX-3 Wedges Review Thread

what customization?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shafts / grips / custom lofts and lie angles.

What he said! I had called TGW and the sales associate didn't know so I tweeted them and they got right back to me. Hoping it happens sooner than later, I am ready to add these bad boys to the bag!

Once I can order these extended a touch, I'll be hard pressed not to put at least one in the bag. Still on the fence whether I want a CB in 54, but I'm leaning towards yes.

Played well with these in league tonight, had some good shots from inside of 50 yards with the 58*. Course was wet tonight from a light rain all day today, but no problem with turf interaction at all.

Question for those smarter than me. I had my irons and wedges lined up on the wall, and I noticed my RTX-3 48 is about 1/4" longer than my CF16 PW. The 52, 56, and 60 all get progressively shorter, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get the RTX-3s cut down so the lengths drop consistently. Or does it even really matter?

Question for those smarter than me. I had my irons and wedges lined up on the wall, and I noticed my RTX-3 48 is about 1/4" longer than my CF16 PW. The 52, 56, and 60 all get progressively shorter, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get the RTX-3s cut down so the lengths drop consistently. Or does it even really matter?

That's probably up to your personal preference but how do the lie angles compare between them with the length distance?

That's probably up to your personal preference but how do the lie angles compare between them with the length distance?

The lie angles are all standard (64*), but I found the fact the 48 was longer interesting as on the site since it should be 35.5" and the CF16 PW should be 35.75". Not a huge deal, but I'm going to get them out a few more times before I decide what I'm going to do. One thing is for sure...I'm a fan of the RTX-3s!

The lie angles are all standard (64*), but I found the fact the 48 was longer interesting as on the site since it should be 35.5" and the CF16 PW should be 35.75". Not a huge deal, but I'm going to get them out a few more times before I decide what I'm going to do. One thing is for sure...I'm a fan of the RTX-3s!

I would say at a 1/4" its not worth a change. You would have to grip the club in the exact same spot down to the mm to notice at that length difference.

If you plan to bend a wedge to 55* for even gapping, would it be better to order a 54* or 56* to bend?

If you plan to bend a wedge to 55* for even gapping, would it be better to order a 54* or 56* to bend?

Totally depends on the player and the sole. Bounce will change by the amount of degrees it is bent.

I went back and forth on this, and I ended up bending weak to get a bit more bounce when I got the RTX 2.0 (In this case 52->53 and 56->57). I figured I'd be using the clubs out of the bunker a decent amount, so I went the direction of adding bounce.

I'm looking to try out the 50 CB version. This club will replace my "11 iron" as I use my set 50 for full shots, but also want to add versatility around the greens. This is something I'm just not comfortable with my set AW. Since I will be using it for full shots (this is my 100-105 yard club) and that distance does show up a lot on shorter holes or 3rd shots in par 5s, I don't know what shaft I should use.

My 712 AP1s have TT Dynalite SLs which are lightweight shafts:
S300S300106g.600"/.355"41.0"-37.0"Low
Should I stay with the stock set-up? I'm going to have a transition anyways but should I have it between the 50 and 54 where there is less of a tendency to make full swings?

I'm looking to try out the 50 CB version. This club will replace my "11 iron" as I use my set 50 for full shots, but also want to add versatility around the greens. This is something I'm just not comfortable with my set AW. Since I will be using it for full shots (this is my 100-105 yard club) and that distance does show up a lot on shorter holes or 3rd shots in par 5s, I don't know what shaft I should use.

My 712 AP1s have TT Dynalite SLs which are lightweight shafts:
S300S300106g.600"/.355"41.0"-37.0"Low
Should I stay with the stock set-up? I'm going to have a transition anyways but should I have it between the 50 and 54 where there is less of a tendency to make full swings?

I think w/ as short a shaft as a wedge is, you won't notice a ton of difference. When I got the RTX 2.0 for the Morgan Cup, I believe Cleveland set me up with KBS R (110g) in the irons, and 48-52-56 in KBS S (120g). I didn't particularly notice a difference between my PW and the 48/AW in flex or weight. Especially since the overall club is going to feel a bit different anyway.

I'm going to order a couple of these but I need to wait until my Z765's so I know what lofts. I'd also like to see the finishes in person before I order.

Its funny, when I got to review the CB my initial thought was that even if they're good I wouldn't play them long term because I'm a 50/54 guy, not 52/56.

Well, that thought ended very quickly. The 52/56 CB and 60 MB setup are solidified in the bag. I've actually found going with the 56 has me using it more than the 60 as 2 degrees mentally makes me more confident in touch shots with it, which makes zero sense since we are talking 2 degrees, but it is what it is. Additionally, I don't try to overswing for distance on the 52/56, its made me take a PW and take some off, or take the 52 and take some off, and that's brought consistency.

The biggest reason they're in the bag though is the sole freaking works and the feel is stellar. I can't imagine ever needing anything other than 2 dot in the three I have as I've not found a shot or lie yet I don't have covered. Plus, combined with a tour level urethane ball they spin lime monsters for me because of the clean contact.

I talked about the design of the sole a lot in my CB review linked in the OP (appreciate a ton all those that have commented) but the V sole high bounce low bounce combo is brilliant for creating consistent turf interaction.

Such good wedges.

I heart everything about this post. I found the exact same thing with the degree gaps. Now I just want to do it with these wedges haha

I'm going to order a couple of these but I need to wait until my Z765's so I know what lofts. I'd also like to see the finishes in person before I order.

Going to be very jealous of that combo!

As for finishes - all 3 are fantastic. I was kind of surprised how much I liked the satin. I'm usually anti satin in wedges for some reason haha. I don't think there is a bad option, but waiting to see in hand is a great idea.

I went back and forth on this, and I ended up bending weak to get a bit more bounce when I got the RTX 2.0 (In this case 52->53 and 56->57). I figured I'd be using the clubs out of the bunker a decent amount, so I went the direction of adding bounce.

I'm with you on this. Adding loft also adds some addition bounce and bounce is your friend.

Saw an email this morning they are taking pre orders now. I'm in love with mine from the event. Get your orders in now!

Saw an email this morning they are taking pre orders now. I'm in love with mine from the event. Get your orders in now!

Thanks for the heads up. I see a 54˚, 58˚ and possibly a 62˚ in my bag in the very near future. :banana::banana::banana:

Has anyone chosen the low bounce option for these wedges versus the middle option? Seems like most are going for the middle even with the lob wedge.

Has anyone chosen the low bounce option for these wedges versus the middle option? Seems like most are going for the middle even with the lob wedge.

I have both here Rob. And tried both. I went 2 dot, because of the way the sole works for me. It can play like a low bounce option on tough hard lies, but still give the versatility that most amateur golfers need with more size.

I have the low bounce in my lob wedge and I love it. The sole on the low bounce options are cut differently, and I love the way I can pick short chips with it. I don't think I would really lose any versatility with the 2 dot, but the low bounce is what I have grown comfortable with over the last couple of years.

I have the low bounce in my lob wedge and I love it. The sole on the low bounce options are cut differently, and I love the way I can pick short chips with it. I don't think I would really lose any versatility with the 2 dot, but the low bounce is what I have grown comfortable with over the last couple of years.

Thanks for feedback. Any noticeable difference with opening up the face?

For someone who hits wedges fat constantly should I look into the 3 dot?

The wider sole could help, but if its an issue like deceleration, not much will fix that. The larger sole CAN provide some assistance there however.

Thanks for feedback. Any noticeable difference with opening up the face?

The low bounce is really easy to open the face with the way the sole is, but I didn't have problems opening the face of my 54* 2 dot MG either. Here are pictures of the two.

Mid grind (2-dot)
2098f18cd87d4f6e3e00086fd8f97b5a.jpg

Low grind (1 dot)
7c480f1ed867f9a9b458ee28f3dd1db3.jpg

The sole design does a very good job giving max versatility to both grinds.

Back