Cleveland RTX-3 Wedges Review Thread

Read through some of the reviews on here. Looking at replacing wedges and Budget golf has them on sale and 20% off for the next 48 hours. Wanted MD4 wedges but like the CBX 50 I got to test out thanks to THP. My 56/60 current wedges are not even from this decade...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't go wrong with the RTX3, and with that price the value is super good.

Read through some of the reviews on here. Looking at replacing wedges and Budget golf has them on sale and 20% off for the next 48 hours. Wanted MD4 wedges but like the CBX 50 I got to test out thanks to THP. My 56/60 current wedges are not even from this decade...

I love, love, love my MD4s. But I also really enjoyed the RTX-3's, and at that price, they are a tremendous value. Pull the trigger!

I pulled it! Replacing a Cleveland CG14 56 and a 60 lob that belonged to my grandfather that’s probably as old as I am.

I figure brand new wedges at $63 bucks a pop is a pretty solid deal.

I pulled it! Replacing a Cleveland CG14 56 and a 60 lob that belonged to my grandfather that’s probably as old as I am.

I think you will love them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I picked up a new RTX-3 CB 50* and a like new RTX-3 MB 54*, both V-MG, and was able to hit some shots in the back yard the other night. I really liked the MB feel compared to the CB, but both were really good compared to what I was coming from, a no name wedge I've had for 15 years.

I hit some shots with the 54* MB, and with the first 5 shots I put 2 in the mulch around the "flag", aka the tree, in my backyard. Shots were roughly 80 yds out. I've never put one that close before, so to be that consistent and put 2 in the mulch, amazing. My others weren't bad either, so the dispersion is good. This was also hitting out of the rough that is my Ohio backyard after a long winter. Not the best to hit out of.

The CB didn't feel as good, but it was still consistent. It does have the Rotex graphite shaft, compared to the steel shaft in the MB, so maybe that was the issue. I kept pulling the shots to the left, so it will be something I will have to keep working on. I'm hoping these will fill the gap I used to have. I had 2 wedges before, a 56* and a 58*, and nothing between those and my PW. Dumb I know, but I'm learning haha. I just used my PW for anything 75-120 yds, so this will definitely help my short game, and my scoring.

I didn't get a 58* RTX-3, because I have a newer Taylormade 58* that I get along with, not great, but it's manageable. After hitting, and looking at the Cleveland wedges, I might have to look for the RTX-3 in a 58* now. Overall pleased, and I can't wait to get these out on the range and course.

Over the winter I picked up two RTX-3 Wedges to do a bit of an experiment. Purchased were a 54* (8 deg bounce) and a 58* (6 deg bounce), both V-LG. All in, bought off E-Bay, $130 cdn to my door. They showed up still with stickers on the shafts, looking like they had sat in a demo bag somewhere at a course, and never been hit.

Traditionally, I have used wedges with more bounce, and often I have wondered if it was hurting me. I used to be half decent around the greens, a bit creative at times, but it was a strong point of my game. The past 4-5 years? It has been a downfall for me. Proximity to the hole from within 75 yards has been bad. Scoring has inflated in part because of it.

To put it in context, conditions suck here. Usually sopping wet in the spring, acceptable in the mid summer, and rock hard in late summer and fall. Rough, for the most part is pretty thin, but usually kept longer than you would want. Overall, not giving me a lot of opportunity to use bounce around the courses.

Setup wise, I went from PW/AW/56*, to PW/AW/54*/58*. The hope is that this will allow a couple options around the greens, and within 75 yards. The idea is, these wedges will be an inside 75 only option, partial swing only.

Fast forward a couple months, and I put the first round in the books with the wedges. First impressions? This will be a fun year. I had touch that I haven't seen in years. A couple little tricky finesse shots were pulled off without issue. The downside, a couple thinned shots skipped over the green, mainly from a lapse in concentration. Overall though, proximity to the hole was really good. Wedge play and putting really helped to keep the scoring low. Struggled to a +9 front, but played +3 on the back. 83 for a +12. Best score I have ever shot on this course..... my first of the year.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out this season!

I agree with what you say, this should be a fun year. The touch I have seen in practice and one round has been very good. I hit some thin shots, but that was more me being rusty. A great value right now on these at a lot of places.

The soles on these have to be more forgiving than my Bridgestones. Also, these things feel hard off the face!

Just such a ridiculous bargain for the quality of wedge.

It was fun to be back on the course and chipping/pitching close again...... even more fun that the playing partners took notice too!

Bumping this one again,

Still playing RTX 3 wedges in 54 and 58 low bounce.

Picked up a 56 mid bounce a couple weeks ago.

Trying to figure out if I am playing too little bounce for the conditions. And if it is affecting my ability to play some shots.

First off, are low bounce wedges inhibiting my ability to get out of the sand? So far, I am not aure, but still working on it.

Initially I went Low bounce for the firmer conditions we get most of the year. Very wet early season, and then very hard/dry the majority of the season. This year? Still wet. So hoping to tinker a bit to try and get a bit better idea of what I need from my wedges.

Bumping this one again,

Still playing RTX 3 wedges in 54 and 58 low bounce.

Picked up a 56 mid bounce a couple weeks ago.

Trying to figure out if I am playing too little bounce for the conditions. And if it is affecting my ability to play some shots.

First off, are low bounce wedges inhibiting my ability to get out of the sand? So far, I am not aure, but still working on it.

Initially I went Low bounce for the firmer conditions we get most of the year. Very wet early season, and then very hard/dry the majority of the season. This year? Still wet. So hoping to tinker a bit to try and get a bit better idea of what I need from my wedges.
I am trying to decide if I want to throw the RTX wedges in the bag for my rounds Sunday & Monday or not. When they are good, they are soooo good, but lately my wedges are in strugglesville so I am thinking a bit more forgiveness for now is in order.

I am trying to decide if I want to throw the RTX wedges in the bag for my rounds Sunday & Monday or not. When they are good, they are soooo good, but lately my wedges are in strugglesville so I am thinking a bit more forgiveness for now is in order.
Forgiveness is an interesting conundrum too. Wish I could get my hands on a set of the CB version to compare.

Forgiveness is an interesting conundrum too. Wish I could get my hands on a set of the CB version to compare.
Dude, those Cally CB wedges are sooo attractive. Ive been gaming a set 50* wedge for years now, and absolutely love it for accurate full swings and green side shots. Would be fun to throw a 54* and 58* CB wedge in the bag and see how it goes.

Mid/End Year assessment of my RTX3 wedges:

Overall I would say that my wedge play with the RTX3 low bounce wedges is more consistent, as opposed to the one high bounce 52 (10 deg bounce) that I picked up earlier in the season. I just have a difficult time playing any shot that requires the use of the bounce.

With the low bounce, I think a lot of the time I am playing for very little actual turf interaction. Playing to pick it cleaner has almost aleays been the safer shot for me.

Early on in the year I had my doubts. Softer conditions were making it really tough to play wedge shots like I wanted to, but once things started to dry out and get a bit firmer out here, it became a lot easier to execute the shots more regularly.

After passing on an RTX3 wedge to another golfer in town, I was pretty surprised how much the dark wedge showed chatter compared to the silver version.

Keep in mind. I dont actually know how much this wedge was abused before it got to me.
20230819_155713.jpg20230819_092824.jpg20230819_155729.jpg

My silver wedges show seriously nothing. I dig the darker finish, but it definitely shows the dings off more.

Woah. Blast from the past. I had some of these. The shape was kinda strange.

Woah. Blast from the past. I had some of these. The shape was kinda strange.

I still have mine. Oddly enough, had the 58 out in the back yard over the weekend.

Practice green again yesterday, and my go to warm up right now is setup about 10 yards off the green hit shots with the PW, 54*, and 58* all to the same pin. PW is usually a pain on the distance control, often having to hit it to the fringe, and hope for the right bounce/roll.

54 and 58 are just so comfortable for me in the RTX3, and it will be sad to eventually move on from them. 54 is usually my go to, able to keep it lower, or op it up high. Lately though, and especially yesterday, the 58 was like tossing darts out there. Absolutely easy to get higher up, and stop shorter.

Serious blast. I think I actually have a couple nearly unhit rtx3 heads out there.. lemme check.

20231001_214621.jpg

Yep. Barely touched. Have a couple of the CBs too. Feel like I should do something with them now.

Back