Cleveland RTX-3 Wedges Review Thread

Do you get that "head-heavy" feel with these when compared to your Vokeys? It's something that really draws me to CG wedges.

I noticed this more in shots from the rough than anything else. With the wet conditions and an aching right hand I wasnt hitting them as smooth as I should have been from the fairway, but man you could feel these things really "rip" through the rough

Yes. I own the SM6 and these, these feel more "significant" in hand at address if that makes sense.
Thanks Jman; makes perfect sense. I've played previous versions of both and felt that same head-heavy feel. I was curious about these since they are more of a revolution than evolution of prior RTX wedges.

I noticed this more in shots from the rough than anything else. With the wet conditions and an aching right hand I wasnt hitting them as smooth as I should have been from the fairway, but man you could feel these things really "rip" through the rough

V Sole FTMFW.

I am thoroughly impressed by the 26 page product manual. There are charts of test results against competitors including spin and dispersion, and the overall level of detail and extremely crisp presentation leave me with a seriously positive impression of what SRI/Cleveland are bringing us right now.

If one believes that charts, RTX-3 CB's have about half the dispersion of an MD3 S-Grind, with robot misses averaging 6.8 ft. vs. 11.6 ft. That probably more than doubles your odds of making a birdie putt percentage - that is significant.

Big fan of that product manual. The only thing I would have added was a couple pages detailing the custom shaft and grip options.

Hope that hand heals soon. If it's any consolation Inbee just won an Olympic gold recovering from a hand injury.

Man I really love hearing that these have a "head heavy" feel. That's something I really like in a wedge.

Hope that hand heals soon. If it's any consolation Inbee just won an Olympic gold recovering from a hand injury.

Oh yeah I'll be fine flares up here and there especially when hitting in wet conditions.

Granted I havent had them for long but I havent found anything I havent liked yet either. Took a bunch of swings with the 50* CB as well and its NIGHT AND DAY better than the 2.0 version (which I hated with a passion).

Oh yeah I'll be fine flares up here and there especially when hitting in wet conditions.

Granted I havent had them for long but I havent found anything I havent liked yet either. Took a bunch of swings with the 50* CB as well and its NIGHT AND DAY better than the 2.0 version (which I hated with a passion).

I. Told. You.

I. Told. You.

I would have gotten one for sure had it been available in black, stupid matching wedge fetish.
I took maybe half a dozen swings with my MB 50* and it was solid as well, will need to work on distance as I have 0 clue how far (or lack there of) the ball was traveling, but by the naked eye it looked to be what I expected to see based on the lofts.

So I spent a good hour with these this morning on the short game practice area just working on a few things. One of the drills I work on is marking off a 5 foot area around the hole and from different lies trying to keep it inside of that, all of the while playing 3 different shots to do it.
1. Little bump and run that rolls all of the way to the hole
2. Putting it up in the air and letting it stop where it lands (hopefully).
3. Playing a firm chip that checks after bounce #2.

Harder to practice all of it outside #1 since the grass was still wet, but went through the motions to hit all 3 shots and work on the game. The sole does appear to give much cleaner contact than my previous wedges, which will almost always lead to more spin being put on the ball. So far, I really like what they have done with this one and think that I am going to enjoy them for quite some time.

Not to be over dramatic, but short of me dropping dead nothing will stop me from getting these

Loving all the feedback on these, keep it coming. Did a little gift card recon and looks like these will be placed in order ASAP. Can't wait!

I don't hate the RTX 2.0 50* CB, but I will say I certainly wish I would have gone with MB like I did with 54 and 58. I had to get it delofted to 48* just to fill the proper gap between my 45* PW and 54*. At stock loft, I was literally getting about 2 or 3 yards more on a full swing with the 50 compared to the 54. So a RTX 50* MB is definitely on the ponder list.

BTW, excellent rewiews, as always, James and Dan!

So this was a picture of my tour raw's from this past weekend after about an hour in the rain/humidity.

ab50e39373a8afaa1bd85422b5567a92.jpg

I will say though, that this was all just surface rust, and just from normal play almost all came off. Pretty cool to see it happen though as you play. I've never had wedges that rust before, but I wouldn't change my pick. I feel like it gives them some serious character while playing them.

Do you get that "head-heavy" feel with these when compared to your Vokeys? It's something that really draws me to CG wedges.

Yes and in a very good way IMO. The weighting is fantastic in these.

Update on my RTX-3 black wedges. 2 rounds of golf and about 10 range sessions and the sole still looks darn good.
Never seen anything like it on a black wedge before.

Update on my RTX-3 black wedges. 2 rounds of golf and about 10 range sessions and the sole still looks darn good.
Never seen anything like it on a black wedge before.

It's pretty incredible. Every couple of holes I kept checking out the soles on MD's wedges and they always looked brand new. Best durability I've seen to date. Plus it's a killer looking finish in hand.

So this was a picture of my tour raw's from this past weekend after about an hour in the rain/humidity.

ab50e39373a8afaa1bd85422b5567a92.jpg

I will say though, that this was all just surface rust, and just from normal play almost all came off. Pretty cool to see it happen though as you play. I've never had wedges that rust before, but I wouldn't change my pick. I feel like it gives them some serious character while playing them.
I love that! I really wish you could get that in the CB version.

I like the "head heavy" feel and everything so far is confirming my choice of a 50° CB.

Question:
What thoughts did Eli have regarding shafts in wedges?

It appeared that almost everyone had a different shaft in the wedges they received. Can the participants share why they chose the shafts that they did?

Not to be over dramatic, but short of me dropping dead nothing will stop me from getting these
No doubt you will purchase a set. The actual question is how many versions of shafts, finishes, and lofts you will go through before you are satisfied. :act-up:

I like the "head heavy" feel and everything so far is confirming my choice of a 50° CB.

Question:

It appeared that almost everyone had a different shaft in the wedges they received. Can the participants share why they chose the shafts that they did?

No doubt you will purchase a set. The actual question is how many versions of shafts, finishes, and lofts you will go through before you are satisfied. :act-up:
I asked eli about shafts and these wedges. He stated for most its a preference/comfort thing when it comes to their choice which is why they try to have a decent amount of offerings available.

Question:

I went with the KBS Hi Rev hoping to get a little more loft and spin on my wedge shots. I've always struggled getting the ball up in the air for whatever reason on wedge shots. I know this is more of a swing fault than anything else, but I had read some good things about the Hi Rev in the past and wanted to try it out.

Eli said they did a lot of testing with different shafts, but kept coming back to the Dynamic Gold as being the best offering for the RTX-3. He seemed really excited about the stock offering and I go back and forth on whether or not I should have ordered my wedges that way. In the end though I think you just go with what you're comfortable with.

Tour satin CB 48, 52 and MB 56, 60 (2-dot, V-MG) with Modus3 Wedge 115 and midsize GP Tour Velvets preordered :D

Last edited:
Question:

Basically said it all just comes down to preference. Super specific answer haha, but the stock shaft should work for a very wide array of people.

I picked the white KBS custom shafts because I think they look awesome. really nothing else went into that decision haha

I got mine in the Rotex graphite. 50 in CB, 54 and 58 in MB. Before this I had 2 Mizunos and 1 MD2 in the bag, the Clevelands are by far way better feeling!!! I was playing a new soft feel and had no problem getting hop and stop on my shots into the green, (excluding the one I bladed really bad :banghead:)

Happened to get mine in Nippon Modus 3 125 Wedge. Seems to be an awesome shaft pairing with this head. I had great dispersion at the range the past two nights. I can conclude that these are sweet wedges, just have to figure out my distances, I am running the vLG in the 60* and I have been laying it up well, far better than my previous Mizuno 60.

Will be updating my thoughts as I go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Back