Cleveland RTX-3 Wedges Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We have review threads for both the CB and MB versions, but since many are mixing, we think it would be helpful to have them all together in one thread for reviews.

THP Staff Writers Jman and Canadan both wrote incredible reviews on the line and they can be found here.

Cleveland RTX-3 MB Wedge Review

Cleveland RTX-3 CB Wedge Review

Feel Balance Technology - THP TV

Sole Design - THP TV
[video=youtube;-Oa3NdsykM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oa3NdsykM0[/video]

Recently some THPers got to experience the Cleveland Short Game Shoot Out THP Event and with that came a full set of wedges of their choice (among many other things) and meeting and learning about wedge technology in general directly from Cleveland Golf.

This thread will serve as host for all of the reviews for these wedges from THPers.

Jman and Canadan KILLED these reviews! I've hit the CB and MB demos in 52 and 60 at my local Golf Mart and not only do the feel good, they look fantastic. I'm still trying to decide if I want to get CB for all four wedges or if I'm going to mix up CB and MB. One thing that stood out to me was how solid they felt in my hands. They feel much more solid than the RTX-2.0 CBs, and that's certainly not taking anything away from that line as I know they're very popular. Either way, after following the Cleveland Short Game Shootout I'm even more excited about getting these in my bag!

Last edited:
I hit a 56 CB today at PGA Superstore...just off a mat with the launch monitor, hitting 50-yard shots...I'M IN!!!! While it's not a good indication of green side spin, I was getting nearly 1000 RPM more spin versus my Mac Daddy...The 56 CB demo that I hit was new, I pulled the shrink wrap off the head, so the grooves were super fresh...I really like this wedge!!! It's really super head heavy, which I like...

Good to hear that the demo clubs are hitting the shops so every can experience these clubs and help build the hype for the official launch.

So after following this weekends event, I started following Eli Miller and Twitter and decided to hit him up with a couple questions about which wedges to get. Here's what he had to say!

I think your Blade/Cavity Back combo set is a great idea and personally I have been exploring the same thing. Full shots could use a little bit more forgiveness potential and highest lofts have a more compact shape for better versatility and playability on touch and scoring shots. One potential downside is difference in feel between blade and cavity back since the material is different (8620 carbon steel in blade vs. 431 stainless steel in CB), but I have hit both and while I can notice a slightly softer feel in the blade, full and pitch shots with the cavity back still feel great and the slightly firmer feel is offset by the fact that I just really like the way the lower-loft CBs look at address!

C'mon 9/16!!!

While I would probably go MB for Sand/Lob, I'd be tempted to go with CB for Gap wedge. Question, is there any distance difference between the CB/MB version of the gap wedge?

• Admin
While I would probably go MB for Sand/Lob, I'd be tempted to go with CB for Gap wedge. Question, is there any distance difference between the CB/MB version of the gap wedge?

That would really depend on a couple of things, but mostly where impact is made. The CB's will carry further when you miss the sweet spot due to their perimeter weighting.

I'm upgrading wedges next year. I got a chance to see e1iterate's RTX-3 wedges that he got in the event. Love at first sight...

My all Callaway Bag will have some Cleveland in it soon... Will be getting the 54 & 58 (The Apex CF16 AW is too good to change out with another 50 degree wedge).

Question? Which dot configuration would be closest to the Tour grind on the MD2 wedges?

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're going to want the MBs, right? Not the cavity backs.

The hardest thing for me to decide is if I should replace my set AW with the MB 50*.

The hardest thing for me to decide is if I should replace my set AW with the MB 50*.

I've always preferred using the sets AW because I treat it more of a distance club vs. a wedge. There really is no right or wrong answer to this question. Do a search because there are plenty of threads discussing this very topic.

These are firmly cemented in my bag right now.

Both Canadan and Jman did an outstanding job with their reviews. Hopefully, the Cleveland event participants (and anyone else that has the 3.0's) post in here soon.

I'm interested in the face balanced tech and I have only gamed MB wedges for awhile. I'm a sweeper and our drought doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon. Therefore, I think that I will go with a 50* one dot CB for the added forgiveness.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Both Canadan and Jman did an outstanding job with their reviews. Hopefully, the Cleveland event participants (and anyone else that has the 3.0's) post in here soon.

I'm interested in the face balanced tech and I have only gamed MB wedges for awhile. I'm a sweeper and our drought doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon. Therefore, I think that I will go with a 50* one dot CB for the added forgiveness.

Silly TapaTalk double post.

You're going to want the MBs, right? Not the cavity backs.

I was thinking that I would go MB on both, however a CB in the 54 is an interesting ponder.

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would definitely go for CB in the 50 and 54 since those are the clubs I would most likely take full swings with. Never take full swing for the 58 so could go MB there, but just to match the set i would probably go 58 CB as well. Satin all the way as the raw isn't available in the CB's

I'm so happy that I went with all CB's for the wedges I received. I went 48, 54, and 60. The only thing I'm second guessing is if I should have went 50 instead of 48 degree. I need the extra forgiveness that the CB provides and I love the way these look in the Satin Finish.

From the swings I put on them Saturday I could tell that the V Sole really helps with any type of lie you're hitting from. Most of the bunkers at Prairie View were like concrete that day, but I still managed to get out of a lot them with no issues. I was also making really decent contact despite the wet conditions. These wedges to feel right for some reason. I was really questioning whether or not the 60 degree would knock my SM6 out of the bag, but I really think it might. That's a strong statement for me because I love that SM6.

Aside from that one contest hole where we all missed the green, I felt really comfortable with all of these wedges.

I hope to get out to the range tonight and I definitely be using them at league Wednesday so I can add some more thoughts.

I'm so happy that I went with all CB's for the wedges I received. I went 48, 54, and 60. The only thing I'm second guessing is if I should have went 50 instead of 48 degree. I need the extra forgiveness that the CB provides and I love the way these look in the Satin Finish.

From the swings I put on them Saturday I could tell that the V Sole really helps with any type of lie you're hitting from. Most of the bunkers at Prairie View were like concrete that day, but I still managed to get out of a lot them with no issues. I was also making really decent contact despite the wet conditions. These wedges to feel right for some reason. I was really questioning whether or not the 60 degree would knock my SM6 out of the bag, but I really think it might. That's a strong statement for me because I love that SM6.

Aside from that one contest hole where we all missed the green, I felt really comfortable with all of these wedges.

I hope to get out to the range tonight and I definitely be using them at league Wednesday so I can add some more thoughts.
Do you get that "head-heavy" feel with these when compared to your Vokeys? It's something that really draws me to CG wedges.

Good question and yeah I do. I can definitely feel the head more, especially through impact. It was really helping out in the soggy conditions, felt like I was making more crisp contact than I would have with the SM6. I also had a chip out of some really tall grass/rough and I felt like the club did more of the work than I did to get it out of there.

Thanks for the feedback. With the hosel change and redistributed weight distribution it was worth an ask.

This may have been posted before on the other threads but I did not see it. TONS of good info, including spin testing results.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aay...fault/dw865abd2a/pdf/16_CG_Product_Manual.pdf

I am thoroughly impressed by the 26 page product manual. There are charts of test results against competitors including spin and dispersion, and the overall level of detail and extremely crisp presentation leave me with a seriously positive impression of what SRI/Cleveland are bringing us right now.

If one believes that charts, RTX-3 CB's have about half the dispersion of an MD3 S-Grind, with robot misses averaging 6.8 ft. vs. 11.6 ft. That probably more than doubles your odds of making a birdie putt percentage - that is significant.

Do you get that "head-heavy" feel with these when compared to your Vokeys? It's something that really draws me to CG wedges.

Yes. I own the SM6 and these, these feel more "significant" in hand at address if that makes sense.

Back