TaylorMade P790 and P790 Ti Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good write up Gary. I have a feeling these aren't going to be nearly as popular as the originals for $ome rea$on????

People have been drooling over the originals for the last couple years, and nice to see the new line doesn't look drastically different from the originals either but some new tech

These will probably be extremely popular again

DataDude;n8874220 said:
Good write up Gary. I have a feeling these aren't going to be nearly as popular as the originals for $ome rea$on????
Well that's just the titanium version, the standard version is your (unfortunately) typical $1400 for a set

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I can’t wait to get my hands on a couple demo heads to really understand the experience.

Shape and sound are the two main things i hope were addressed.

Wow $3k for the Ti model. Seems like a cool design in theory.

Great write-up Gary. I honestly tuned out on the Ti portion after reading that jaw dropping $2800 price tag.

Good for TM for jumping in on the high end portion of the market.

Yet another company taking a bite out of PXG’s realm.

$3K is a bit excessive, don't ya think? Titanium is expensive I know but who is that really catering to? Not the every average day hack, that's for sure.

is titanium really that expensive of a raw material? that is quite the price tag for the ti model.

it’s good to see them stick with what worked. i wish they had changed the name a little, because i feel like there will be confusion in the marketplace having different gens with the same name.

i’ve seen a ton of these out in the wild in a broad range of golfers’ bags. it’s cool to see tm regaining a foothold in the iron space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8874250 said:
is titanium really that expensive of a raw material? that is quite the price tag for the ti model.

it’s good to see them stick with what worked. i wish they had changed the name a little, because i feel like there will be confusion in the marketplace having different gens with the same name.

i’ve seen a ton of these out in the wild in a broad range of golfers’ bags. it’s cool to see tm regaining a foothold in the iron space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is an interesting note, and one I said the same thing about when they re-released M1 and M2 with the exact same moniker. Its fine right at launch, but what happens 6 months from now? Two back to back P790 iron sets, that I would have liked to see maybe P790-20 moniker for the 2020 year or 19, depending on how you look at it.

I think it's great that TaylorMade is jumping in to the high end iron category and using an already popular iron to do so. I'm curious what it sounds like with the titanium being used though.

Nice write up Gary. I think this is a solid update to an already fantastic set of irons. I purchased a set of the original p790s just this past February and I don't feel like I missed out or was cheated out of a huge upgrade. At the same time, if I were in the market for new irons, these have enough aesthetic/performance/feel tweaks over the original to warrant moving into the newer set. Reminds me of the new Epic Forged irons and how they addressed everyone's feel/sound issues while keeping all the parts that made the original so good.

1-3.jpg

I like this pic a lot. I think the price is obnoxious though.

Great write up, Gary. The P790s were my irons until the Morgan Cup. They did EVERYTHING that I needed and wanted in an iron for my game. I am not in the market, but surely would love to hit these to see if the added tech equals added performance.

Thanks for the information Gary. I have been looking forward to reading more about the new p790s. Your article answered those questions.

Having played the original 790s on and off (mostly on) over the last year, I think there is a lot of value in them at the $1,400 price point. The progressive inverted cone technology and the progressive offsets in the longer irons should be minor changes on paper, but noticeable differences on the course and in real world application.

I would describe the 790 line as being similar to the Porsche 911. Solid classic design with performance in mind, most of it under the hood and in design advantages. But if you and your wallet are willing to push the envelope, then you can have the GT3 equivalent and get the 790Ti version.

What is the inverted cone technology? The article mentioned it but I’m not sure it described it.

tequila4kapp;n8874341 said:
What is the inverted cone technology? The article mentioned it but I’m not sure it described it.

ancient TM face tech.

irons_tech_main_rocketballz_6.png

Canadan;n8874344 said:
ancient TM face tech.

seriously ancient! i wonder when they first came out with it. i feel like it was in the late 90s or early 00s?

These ultra premium golf irons are practically a case study in economics. First off, Titanium is expensive. So is tungsten. Its not just the material cost either in that it is a lot more expensive to work titanium than it is steel. That said, the extra cost for titanium and tungsten isn't nearly $1400-1500. The vast majority of the increase in cost is gross margin.

PXG must have taught these golf companies that lower volume times much greater margin is a profitable way to do business. But this is free market economics 101. PXG had a near monopoly on the ultra expensive iron a few years ago. Within the next year or so, I suspect that every company is going to have a set in that range and when they do, I wonder if the lower volume goes to super low volume and companies start trying to undercut each other to get market share. If not enough people buy this iron at nearly $3000, I bet you see it at $2500 and then $2000. I strongly suspect you still have a reasonable gross margin at those prices and the market will have corrected itself.

And us golfers will start to be able to buy these clubs at more reasonable (albeit still heavily inflated) prices.

Nice write-up. Thanks.

HackerFish;n8874384 said:
These ultra premium golf irons are practically a case study in economics. First off, Titanium is expensive. So is tungsten. Its not just the material cost either in that it is a lot more expensive to work titanium than it is steel. That said, the extra cost for titanium and tungsten isn't nearly $1400-1500. The vast majority of the increase in cost is gross margin.

PXG must have taught these golf companies that lower volume times much greater margin is a profitable way to do business. But this is free market economics 101. PXG had a near monopoly on the ultra expensive iron a few years ago. Within the next year or so, I suspect that every company is going to have a set in that range and when they do, I wonder if the lower volume goes to super low volume and companies start trying to undercut each other to get market share. If not enough people buy this iron at nearly $3000, I bet you see it at $2500 and then $2000. I strongly suspect you still have a reasonable gross margin at those prices and the market will have corrected itself.

And us golfers will start to be able to buy these clubs at more reasonable (albeit still heavily inflated) prices.

PXG came after XXIO and a few others, but they did a lot of marketing and sponsored a number of tour players. Although market share is similar to that of a few other premium brands.
Most companies still have sets in line that are sub 1k in cost, which is a good thing to hit all segments.

PXG is already seeing the market "correction" as buyers revert back to the mean. As TaylorMade (and other) companies test the ultra-premium market, PXG is moving in the opposite direction by offering lower-cost options.

Somewhere in the middle is where most consumers end up.

I like that TM is throwing their hat in that thigh end market, even though I will never shop in that space at all. But the more competition that is there should help out in other areas in terms of price.

Very interesting, I've always been intrigued by that 790 line and this looks like a great evolution of it.

Canadan;n8874329 said:
I like this pic a lot. I think the price is obnoxious though.

That picture just makes me want them.

Apex 19's gonna have to hold off an incoming TM and Mizzy battle I think.

Back