TaylorMade P790 and P790 Ti Irons

Too rich for me but some nice looking irons.

I see quite a few of the previous iteration in golfers bags nowadays.

Is it me, or is every OEM going to have a very high priced line this year? These are $350/iron & now I hear that PXG is coming out with a blade that is $550/iron? Seriously? Who in their right mind would spend over $5K on a set of Irons??

Not many, but they are probably only trying to sell 200 sets a year.and they will do that easily. Wall street guys and CEO types who make serious money will do it.

golfinnut;n8874819 said:
Is it me, or is every OEM going to have a very high priced line this year? These are $350/iron & now I hear that PXG is coming out with a blade that is $550/iron? Seriously? Who in their right mind would spend over $5K on a set of Irons??

There are people with that level of disposable income that will spare no expense to get something they THINK will help them, and show their status.

Its a segment I'm shocked more companies beyond XXIO and the likes haven't gone after sooner.

Canadan;n8874868 said:
Give me sleek and sound and they are back on the radar. Mostly sound.

Definitely mostly sound, especially in the long irons.

Yeah, the whole ultra-premium iron set thing is getting a bit silly with PXG at 500+ and Taylormade at 350+ ....

I absolutely love my P790s - these definitely look sleeker... I like how they are not toting "15 yards further) - I guess TM has maxed out from a tech perspective on distance...

Either way, while the P790 Tis look cool, that price is aggressive.... Happy to hear that they are going to go after PXG though :)

I think the prices of some of these are getting out of control but if there's a market for them then good for those going after it. I was at a golf galaxy and decided to take some swings with the demo clubs and absolutely smashed the P790 but it just felt and sounded off to me. As a driving iron I might consider it but I think the feeling would bother me in the rest of the set.

Happy for UST Mamiya to get the stock P790 graphite offering.

JB;n8874766 said:
How would you combo it?

4-7 P790ti, scoring irons 8-PW P790. The longer and taller ti irons would fit the distance iron profile, the shorter length and thinner top line would fit the scoring iron profile.

wedgeman;n8875072 said:
4-7 P790ti, scoring irons 8-PW P790. The longer and taller ti irons would fit the distance iron profile, the shorter length and thinner top line would fit the scoring iron profile.

I’m sure it could be done.

shanewu;n8875018 said:
Happy for UST Mamiya to get the stock P790 graphite offering.

I think they had it last year too

93civiccpe;n8874974 said:
I think the prices of some of these are getting out of control but if there's a market for them then good for those going after it. I was at a golf galaxy and decided to take some swings with the demo clubs and absolutely smashed the P790 but it just felt and sounded off to me. As a driving iron I might consider it but I think the feeling would bother me in the rest of the set.

You aren’t alone and I really wonder how big the market really is. I rarely see these ultra premium in the wild and I’ve been know to go to places where I would expect to see them every once in a while.

BigDill;n8874331 said:
I would describe the 790 line as being similar to the Porsche 911. Solid classic design with performance in mind, most of it under the hood and in design advantages. But if you and your wallet are willing to push the envelope, then you can have the GT3 equivalent and get the 790Ti version.

i’m not sure why more people don’t view a release like this as you have described. tm is coming in with an entry level set at $350/iron. it’s their highest performing, supercharged, ultra premium offering. there are other more modestly priced and excellent irons in their lineup. why do people get pissed at one option when there are so many other options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know several guys who own PXG irons and there is no way any of them would consider paying $2800 for Taylormade irons. I don’t see them selling a lot of these but maybe there are enough TM fanboys to prove me wrong. My guess is they’d have more success with a $800 putter.

tahoebum;n8875343 said:
I know several guys who own PXG irons and there is no way any of them would consider paying $2800 for Taylormade irons. I don’t see them selling a lot of these but maybe there are enough TM fanboys to prove me wrong. My guess is they’d have more success with a $800 putter.

That's really funny.

I'm also genuinely entertained by the idea of these 'competing' with the 'ultra premium' iron market.... Even though the 'ultra premium' is purely just an overpriced concept we all laughed at a couple years ago.

Alright, JB heard my opinions on TM products during the sweep, but I'll give them this, that new 790 looks goooooood

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Price aside, these look fantastic.

I have limited experience with titanium but doesn't it scratch very easily? My titanium wedding band looked terrible after just a few days use. I wonder how this club finish will hold up over time.

TYork;n8875540 said:
I have limited experience with titanium but doesn't it scratch very easily? My titanium wedding band looked terrible after just a few days use. I wonder how this club finish will hold up over time.

It certainly can but there are different alloys. I thought about this when I was wrapping my head around the irons but I'm reserving judgement until I see it wear.

These are going to have to be pretty special to outperform the original p790’s as far as I’m concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShanksaloT;n8874972 said:
I absolutely love my P790s - these definitely look sleeker... I like how they are not toting "15 yards further) - I guess TM has maxed out from a tech perspective on distance...

Either way, while the P790 Tis look cool, that price is aggressive.... Happy to hear that they are going to go after PXG though :)

I’m actually hoping they dial the scoring irons back a bit for consistency. The originals were already rocket launchers so I’m not sure they need much more distance (but I’d take it).

I know the True Temper fans will be happy to hear that VSS is in the stock steel shafts for the P790s. I know my wrist is excited

Molten;n8877178 said:
I’m actually hoping they dial the scoring irons back a bit for consistency. The originals were already rocket launchers so I’m not sure they need much more distance (but I’d take it).

I happened to watch Rick Shiels video review and I thought he brought up some interesting points between the previous version and the new version. I believe he only called out the only real differences as the lower CG and the stock steel length is 1/4” longer. All for a more expensive price. There must be a bigger price increase for the UK with the way he talked about it but it seems like the sneakily longer stock length and lower CG are just tryouts not to squeeze out a couple of extra yards. Otherwise it’s basically the same club.

Back