TaylorMade P790 and P790 Ti Irons

gmiller598;n8879030 said:
I happened to watch Rick Shiels video review and I thought he brought up some interesting points between the previous version and the new version. I believe he only called out the only real differences as the lower CG and the stock steel length is 1/4” longer. All for a more expensive price. There must be a bigger price increase for the UK with the way he talked about it but it seems like the sneakily longer stock length and lower CG are just tryouts not to squeeze out a couple of extra yards. Otherwise it’s basically the same club.

TM flat out says it about these though, “You don’t mess with what works”, so minimal changes aren’t a surprise.

As to the length, Ole Rick also SHOULD have mentioned a big reason for that is they’ve gone to their steel and graphite lengths being the same now, which coincidentally are the same length as the graphite option, 1/4” longer than steel, as last time.

Last edited:
gmiller598;n8879030 said:
I happened to watch Rick Shiels video review and I thought he brought up some interesting points between the previous version and the new version. I believe he only called out the only real differences as the lower CG and the stock steel length is 1/4” longer. All for a more expensive price. There must be a bigger price increase for the UK with the way he talked about it but it seems like the sneakily longer stock length and lower CG are just tryouts not to squeeze out a couple of extra yards. Otherwise it’s basically the same club.

I wouldn’t call it the same club but a very similar club. Refining the look at address and dialing in the scoring clubs could make what was already a really good club into a great club.

Obviously i haven't seen it but subtle changes sound like the right move here. It isn’t far from what others have done with great clubs (see, eg, z565 to z585).

The subtle changes/similar aesthetics made me think of the Srixon 5 series line too, which is part of why I like what TM did with the 790s: why mess with a great looking and performing club? I also appreciate that TM basically kept the price the same, despite some performance tweaks--the new set is only $100 more than the set released two years ago.

Last edited:
JMB3;n8879131 said:
The subtle changes/similar aesthetics made me think of the Srixon 5 series line too, which is part of why I like with TM did with the 790s: why mess with a great looking and performing club? I also appreciate that TM basically kept the price the same, despite some performance tweaks--the new set is only $100 more than the set released two years ago.

Agreed. I am not sure that someone with the original that loves it will need to jump on these but people that want to jump into the P790 game can benefit from these. Still one of the best looking players distance clubs out there and one of the best performers.

Going to put some swings on the 7 and 8 iron tomorrow.

JB;n8879279 said:
Going to put some swings on the 7 and 8 iron tomorrow.

The 790 or the Ti?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an ugly, unholy rumor that some P790 irons have been delivered at my house for review. I hope to do some unboxing photos tomorrow. And hit them. My god do I want to hit them.

And you better believe I’m going to do a head to head comparison with the originals.

Im very curious what people want to know about these irons as far as the review goes. I’ve got some ideas but if there are things you want to see, drop it in the thread!

I’d like to hear your thoughts on initial launch. One of the things the P790s did so well was start about flat for me and rise, rather than going straight up.

Molten;n8879441 said:
There is an ugly, unholy rumor that some P790 irons have been delivered at my house for review. I hope to do some unboxing photos tomorrow. And hit them. My god do I want to hit them.

And you better believe I’m going to do a head to head comparison with the originals.

Im very curious what people want to know about these irons as far as the review goes. I’ve got some ideas but if there are things you want to see, drop it in the thread!

Bet that's going to be a fun review for you Molten. Looks like these are a bit faster than the originals- wondering how launch parameters change for you from model to model.

JB;n8879443 said:
I’d like to hear your thoughts on initial launch. One of the things the P790s did so well was start about flat for me and rise, rather than going straight up.

Beat me to it. Again.

obedt;n8879447 said:
Beat me to it. Again.

We must both just like the finer things : )

Molten;n8879441 said:

I would like to know how noticeable and effective the progressive offset is with the longer irons compared to the original model. I think this is gong to me an under the radar but important tweak.

Keep the ideas coming folks. The journey starts tomorrow.

Haven’t been home for more than an hour but these couldn’t wait.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566162592.7126.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566162592.7126.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 12
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566162592.9742.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566162592.9742.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 13
Molten;n8879981 said:
Haven’t been home for more than an hour but these couldn’t wait.

So clean, so beautiful.

Molten;n8879441 said:

If the P790s are not my favorite irons ever, they are very close. My set shafted with Steelfiber i110s was pretty much the perfect set of irons. I a very jealous of you right now. Ha ha.

But thrilled for you.

Here is what I would love to know:

1. I believe TaylorMade is claiming that the face is even thinner and that the tungsten weighting is improved. I would like to know if there is a little better ball speed than the OGs (not that it is really needed, just curious).

2. I am sure it is my own swing flaw, but with many of the players distance profile, I find that after either the 8 iron or the 9 iron, there is a larger gap than what I would want. I believe it is because the longer irons have less spin and then all of a sudden I see spin equivalent to a non-players distance iron and it creates an unwanted gap. I could be wrong, but that is what I believe. I would like to know if you see consistent gapping all the way through the scoring irons.

I need to get to the golf studio to do a side by side comparison but the scoring irons looks smaller from memory. Super clean and with just a bit of contrast.

Tenputt;n8880032 said:
If the P790s are not my favorite irons ever, they are very close. My set shafted with Steelfiber i110s was pretty much the perfect set of irons. I a very jealous of you right now. Ha ha.

But thrilled for you.

Here is what I would love to know:

1. I believe TaylorMade is claiming that the face is even thinner and that the tungsten weighting is improved. I would like to know if there is a little better ball speed than the OGs (not that it is really needed, just curious).

2. I am sure it is my own swing flaw, but with many of the players distance profile, I find that after either the 8 iron or the 9 iron, there is a larger gap than what I would want. I believe it is because the longer irons have less spin and then all of a sudden I see spin equivalent to a non-players distance iron and it creates an unwanted gap. I could be wrong, but that is what I believe. I would like to know if you see consistent gapping all the way through the scoring irons.

I’ll definitely look into these and #2 was a problem they aimed to fix. I’m excited to see if they got it right.

What is the price difference between these and the originals? How big of an increase?

Molten;n8880448 said:
$100 increase.
thanks, i had seen where Rick Shiels had said there was a 24% increase or something similar to that. that would be insane for moderate if any real differences in specs.

I know it may not affect play but the 2019 versions are way more shiny. I like shiny. The little aesthetic changes are pretty noticeable in the short irons.

Molten;n8880733 said:
I know it may not affect play but the 2019 versions are way more shiny. I like shiny. The little aesthetic changes are pretty noticeable in the short irons.

shorter blade I like....extra shine I don't

ddec;n8880791 said:
shorter blade I like....extra shine I don't

Don’t worry, it’s properly placed on the back (hidden at address) and on the bottom. They shine in the bag not in use.

These are tempting especially since they have some nice no upcharge shafts and with military discount I can get 4-GW with DG 105 black shafts for......$1,261.39.

Back