TaylorMade P790 and P790 Ti Irons

Molten;n8880902 said:
Don’t worry, it’s properly placed on the back (hidden at address) and on the bottom. They shine in the bag not in use.

well then I'm totally ok with that.

I will have some feedback on the scoring irons coming in the next day or two. Working on putting it together.

JB;n8882143 said:
I will have some feedback on the scoring irons coming in the next day or two. Working on putting it together.

I’m looking forward to this. I’ve got some thoughts based on one quick session but I want to get one more good session in before I commit to my first impressions on the heads. I’m looking at tomorrow morning before work.

I will say, I LOVE the DG105 with VSS stock shaft. I know VSS stuff isn’t cheap but if you like the practice, your joints will thank you. My wrist felt pretty good after my last session off a mat and definitely better than with standard steel.

And stock TV360 grips feel great - always a durability concern.

I got on the Quad and put the P.790s through their paces this morning with over 200 shots (until my neck hurt). I'm still in awe of how long the 790s are (in the same ballpark as the originals but I forgot just how long they both are...) but that isn't new. The clubs gapped very well off the mat. I still need to test how they perform in real world conditions (read, out of the rough) but I remember why I fell in love with the originals.

Here are a few thoughts:

Long irons: These things are great. I was able to flight them down without much issue (for example, launching the 4 iron around 9* with a ton of roll). With a normal swing I saw a lot of height and distance. Toe side misses aren't punished too much on distance but they maintain the feel of a toe miss and give you feedback. Low misses launched low with the 4 and 5 irons but resulted in a little stinger-like rise due to the spin (completely unintended) and some lost carry. The 4 iron may be a candidate for a hybrid replacement in some bags depending on how well you launch it.

Mid irons: Long. I'm still trying to figure out the exact distances. They gap well with one another but they reward a consistent swing. For example, when I was trying to swing in tempo and under control, I was seeing 165-170 out of the seven iron very consistently. But when I got a bit less controlled, that number went up but a bit less consistently (it wasn't in a tight little 5-yard window) and sometimes overlapped with the next club's normal yardage. High launching and mid/low spinning shots. I really need to see how they perform on the course to gauge the stopping power - stay tuned.

Short irons: Big caveat here - remember, I was hitting off a mat with perfect lies. With that out of the way, I'm impressed with the consistency. I committed to 8 shots in a row and I didn't eliminate any shots. As you can see (photo in next post... I messed up), I hit two less than ideal. One was low on the face and launched low while another was a bit of a flip that launched the ball much higher than normal. The low shot still went the average distance and the flip went 6 yards longer. I have total confidence that this is my 135 carry club and even the misses were fine. Best of all - I didn't see a single nuked ball with a scoring iron that sometimes happened with the originals.

Next test - out to the real course. Maybe Friday if the weather cooperates but definitely Sunday.

[No message]

Attachments

• photo36127.jpg
    photo36127.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Molten;n8882732 said:
I got on the Quad and put the P.790s through their paces this morning with over 200 shots (until my neck hurt). I'm still in awe of how long the 790s are (in the same ballpark as the originals but I forgot just how long they both are...) but that isn't new. The clubs gapped very well off the mat. I still need to test how they perform in real world conditions (read, out of the rough) but I remember why I fell in love with the originals.

Here are a few thoughts:

Long irons: These things are great. I was able to flight them down without much issue (for example, launching the 4 iron around 9* with a ton of roll). With a normal swing I saw a lot of height and distance. Toe side misses aren't punished too much on distance but they maintain the feel of a toe miss and give you feedback. Low misses launched low with the 4 and 5 irons but resulted in a little stinger-like rise due to the spin (completely unintended) and some lost carry. The 4 iron may be a candidate for a hybrid replacement in some bags depending on how well you launch it.

Mid irons: Long. I'm still trying to figure out the exact distances. They gap well with one another but they reward a consistent swing. For example, when I was trying to swing in tempo and under control, I was seeing 165-170 out of the seven iron very consistently. But when I got a bit less controlled, that number went up but a bit less consistently (it wasn't in a tight little 5-yard window) and sometimes overlapped with the next club's normal yardage. High launching and mid/low spinning shots. I really need to see how they perform on the course to gauge the stopping power - stay tuned.

Short irons: Big caveat here - remember, I was hitting off a mat with perfect lies. With that out of the way, I'm impressed with the consistency. I committed to 8 shots in a row and I didn't eliminate any shots. As you can see (photo in next post... I messed up), I hit two less than ideal. One was low on the face and launched low while another was a bit of a flip that launched the ball much higher than normal. The low shot still went the average distance and the flip went 6 yards longer. I have total confidence that this is my 135 carry club and even the misses were fine. Best of all - I didn't see a single nuked ball with a scoring iron that sometimes happened with the originals.

Next test - out to the real course. Maybe Friday if the weather cooperates but definitely Sunday.

Molten,
What were your thoughts on the sound? I only got to test a couple of the irons and have some thoughts, but am curious yours here.

Sorry if I missed it. What iron was the short iron in the photo with the numbers?

JB;n8882741 said:
Molten,
What were your thoughts on the sound? I only got to test a couple of the irons and have some thoughts, but am curious yours here.

Haha you would ask that. I’ve been purposely silent on so far because I’ve only tested them indoors where there is the “crack” and an immediate “thump” of the impact screen. So far I haven’t had any that I didn’t like the sound of. Nothing hollow or metallic about them at all.

Best I can say right now - passing grade on sound from me, with final grade to be determined when I get outdoors.

Tenputt;n8882756 said:
Sorry if I missed it. What iron was the short iron in the photo with the numbers?

It was the PW.

Molten;n8882768 said:
Haha you would ask that. I’ve been purposely silent on so far because I’ve only tested them indoors where there is the “crack” and an immediate “thump” of the impact screen. So far I haven’t had any that I didn’t like the sound of. Nothing hollow or metallic about them at all.

Best I can say right now - passing grade on sound from me, with final grade to be determined when I get outdoors.

I look forward to the outdoor thoughts, because IMO sound/feel is one place where the OG 790's struggled a bit. I really hope they addressed that a bit.

Molten;n8882770 said:
It was the PW.

That is what I figured. Thanks

What's your normal realm for peak height with a PW, Gary?

Molten;n8882732 said:

Here are a few thoughts:

Great initial thoughts Molten. Enjoyed that write up - looking forward to on course testing. Might be a skim, but comparison to OG 790s? I really want these 60% is due to the shaft in there, I also liked the OGs.

@JB will these be at Ultimate Weekend?

Jman;n8882778 said:
I look forward to the outdoor thoughts, because IMO sound/feel is one place where the OG 790's struggled a bit. I really hope they addressed that a bit.

I didn't have any strong feelings on the sound of the originals but I'll hit them side-by-side to see if one is better than the other to my ear.

Jman;n8882783 said:
What's your normal realm for peak height with a PW, Gary?

I'd expect to be hanging right around 30 yards.

Gary - With the irons tested so far, how would you compare the numbers to the F9 irons?

Tenputt;n8883562 said:
Gary - With the irons tested so far, how would you compare the numbers to the F9 irons?

And to dovetail on a great question, I am also interested on your thoughts regarding the turf interaction between the F9s and the new P790s with the altered sole radius to avoid digging.

Tenputt;n8883562 said:

A hair longer but really a rounding error. Pretty similar spin numbers.

Aesthetically, you can’t beat the P790s. I find the F9 a bit more forgiving.

BigDill;n8883590 said:
And to dovetail on a great question, I am also interested on your thoughts regarding the turf interaction between the F9s and the new P790s with the altered sole radius to avoid digging.

I’ll find out soon and report back!

Any concern with the lack of stopping power with the pitching wedge? I don’t know if I could get comfortable with that rollout.....a lot of 11’s, a 12, and even a 15.

Last edited:
FH72;n8884443 said:
Any concern with the lack of stopping power with the pitching wedge? I don’t know if I could get comfortable with that rollout.....a lot of 11’s, a 12, and even a 15.

I guess I should’ve covered that. This was on a digital driving range with the fairways set to the standard hardness. So that roll out isn’t what you would see on the course. It’s more like PGA Tour hardness for fairways - the only important number is carry there.

I bet the ball stops within a yard of my pitch mark on the course. I’ll confirm Sunday.

I’ve got to say, the 2019 model sure looks better than the originals.

The questions for THPers: if the performance is pretty similar but the looks are better (including at address), how many would be repeat buyers? Or do you think this would attract first time buyers of the 790s?

Attachments

• photo36194.jpg
    photo36194.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Molten;n8884841 said:
I’ve got to say, the 2019 model sure looks better than the originals.

The questions for THPers: if the performance is pretty similar but the looks are better (including at address), how many would be repeat buyers? Or do you think this would attract first time buyers of the 790s?

I thought the OG were lookers, but you are right. The 2019 look incredible. I think many would be repeat buyers, even if objectively, the performance improvement is so small incrementally, that it does not justify it. I also think many will not and that this second iteration will not be nearly the seller that the first one was.

Last edited:
The 2019s are attracting me so I think they'll get people upgrading and people swapping

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think the 2019 version have a cleaner look in general. I think that people will upgrade because the changes they made to the 2019 version may be small on paper, but address real world feedback from those who played the original set. I also think first time buyers will be attacked to the slick, no nonsense design. Many club manufacturers are adding so much color and carbon fiber and other details to the club, making it look busy at times.

Back