TaylorMade P790 and P790 Ti Irons

BigDill;n8885493 said:
I think the 2019 version have a cleaner look in general. I think that people will upgrade because the changes they made to the 2019 version may be small on paper, but address real world feedback from those who played the original set. I also think first time buyers will be attacked to the slick, no nonsense design. Many club manufacturers are adding so much color and carbon fiber and other details to the club, making it look busy at times.

I agree with this completely.

Any rumors of trade-in bonus related to this release?

Molten;n8883306 said:
I didn't have any strong feelings on the sound of the originals but I'll hit them side-by-side to see if one is better than the other to my ear.

Molten;n8883308 said:
I'd expect to be hanging right around 30 yards.

Sorry I missed circling back to see these Gary.

I'm eager to read the continued updates for sure.

Based on that 30y number, did you feel these were initially coming off a little lower than expected?

Hitting the P790 7 iron, I can say that if you enjoyed the sound the first go round, you will with these again. If they didn't hit your ear right, they might bother you again.

JB;n8887156 said:
Hitting the P790 7 iron, I can say that if you enjoyed the sound the first go round, you will with these again. If they didn't hit your ear right, they might bother you again.

Kinda exactly what I was expecting to hear....pun intended.

KIND OF a bummer, but they weren't horrible the first go round. LOW spin moved me from them way more than feel did.

Jman;n8887229 said:
Kinda exactly what I was expecting to hear....pun intended.

KIND OF a bummer, but they weren't horrible the first go round. LOW spin moved me from them way more than feel did.

To my ear they sound similar to that of the new Titleist T200. If someone likes that, they are going to really like this. If that bothers them a bit, it might still bother them.
I hope this makes sense. I don't necessarily dislike the sound, its just different than what I am used to.

JB;n8887239 said:
To my ear they sound similar to that of the new Titleist T200. If someone likes that, they are going to really like this. If that bothers them a bit, it might still bother them.
I hope this makes sense. I don't necessarily dislike the sound, its just different than what I am used to.

Does make sense, and honestly for me makes me have less trepidation (SAT word of the day) towards trying the T200 now.

Jman;n8887129 said:
Sorry I missed circling back to see these Gary.

I'm eager to read the continued updates for sure.

Based on that 30y number, did you feel these were initially coming off a little lower than expected?

If they are, it isn’t by much. I’ve been working on my swing recently and it has resulted in slightly lower launch and peak. I hit the previous version and the F9 to be sure and the difference wasn’t significant between them (all different shafts but mostly within 6 feet).

The real test is on course - can you make the rain go away so I can sneak to the course?!

Molten;n8887249 said:
If they are, it isn’t by much. I’ve been working on my swing recently and it has resulted in slightly lower launch and peak. I hit the previous version and the F9 to be sure and the difference wasn’t significant between them (all different shafts but mostly within 6 feet).

The real test is on course - can you make the rain go away so I can sneak to the course?!

haha, might as well send it here, we just got 4 more inches ourselves

JB;n8887239 said:

Interesting... I loved my P790s. I think I would still be playing them, but for the Morgan Cup. The sound was not an issue. However, as I mentioned in the applicable thread, the T200s did not have a pleasing sound. Perhaps it was because I was in a very closed bay, indoors, when hitting the T200s.

Oh baby these are going to sell. I grabbed all the pitching wedges I had in the garage. They resemble the 919 Tour more than they do the other irons in their category. The F9 and z585 look huge compared.

Attachments

• photo36351.jpg
    photo36351.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 13
  • photo36352.jpg
    photo36352.jpg
    762.3 KB · Views: 12
Molten;n8888682 said:
Oh baby these are going to sell. I grabbed all the pitching wedges I had in the garage. They resemble the 919 Tour more than they do the other irons in their category. The F9 and z585 look huge compared.

That is interesting. Do you think smaller means more sales? Asking genuinely?

Molten;n8888682 said:

They look so good; I probably pull up the website every day. I have the OG 790s and 585s, and their soles look drastically different. Yet the OGs are still really forgiving in the short irons.

JB;n8888686 said:
That is interesting. Do you think smaller means more sales? Asking genuinely?

I think it certainly points that way when the technology works. I’m extrapolating based on my buying habits and those I see from those around me. Typically, we gravitate to what (1) performs and (2) looks good and small. When (1) is the same, I want the most compact and clean iron.

Obviously the number of repeat buys is something I can’t call but the 790s look really, really good.

JMB3;n8888687 said:
They look so good; I probably pull up the website every day. I have the OG 790s and 585s, and their soles look drastically different. Yet the OGs are still really forgiving in the short irons.

It’s only a matter of time until you place that order. And I’m going to love seeing you post it

Molten;n8888762 said:
I think it certainly points that way when the technology works. I’m extrapolating based on my buying habits and those I see from those around me. Typically, we gravitate to what (1) performs and (2) looks good and small. When (1) is the same, I want the most compact and clean iron.

Obviously the number of repeat buys is something I can’t call but the 790s look really, really good.

Thats interesting, and certainly TaylorMade is banking on that with this lineup. Looking at most brands, its the opposite. For instance Hot Metal is the #1 selling Mizuno iron currently. AP3 outsold AP2. King F9 outsold Forged Tec. I’m not at my computer, so I don’t know the current month, but I know that P.790 was one of their best sellers, although I do think M6 overtook it this past month, which makes sense being the newer iron and the price point.

And I agree, they do look good.

JB;n8888773 said:
Thats interesting, and certainly TaylorMade is banking on that with this lineup. Looking at most brands, its the opposite. For instance Hot Metal is the #1 selling Mizuno iron currently. AP3 outsold AP2. King F9 outsold Forged Tec. I’m not at my computer, so I don’t know the current month, but I know that P.790 was one of their best sellers, although I do think M6 overtook it this past month, which makes sense being the newer iron and the price point.

We might be talking past each other here a bit. I was talking within the category, such as AP3, F9, HM, z585, etc.

If I’m going to get a GI set and i like a few, I’m going to gravitate to the best looking and smallest.

THPers - am I the only one?!

Molten;n8888779 said:
We might be talking past each other here a bit. I was talking within the category, such as AP3, F9, HM, z585, etc.

If I’m going to get a GI set and i like a few, I’m going to gravitate to the best looking and smallest.

I don’t think you are the only one, but I do think it’s an online thing more than a “masses” thing if that makes sense.

Best looking (subjective)? Sure. Smallest package? I think that is a bit more for the discerning golfer. Mass can equal forgiveness in spots, such as sole size, etc.

Like you I think these are quite attractive and that they will do well. I’m not as certain about the Ti line, but Taylormade inventory control has been rock solid as of late.

JB;n8888791 said:
I don’t think you are the only one, but I do think it’s an online thing more than a “masses” thing if that makes sense.

Best looking (subjective)? Sure. Smallest package? I think that is a bit more for the discerning golfer. Mass can equal forgiveness in spots, such as sole size, etc.

Like you I think these are quite attractive and that they will do well. I’m not as certain about the Ti line, but Taylormade inventory control has been rock solid as of late.

Makes total sense. And to be completely candid, I’ve had my best rounds with the larger soles and selective weighting. I still can’t help myself sometime though (I own 919 tours that I have no business playing).

I think these will sell really well. And the Ti might surprise me. Heck, the premium market is one I have NEVER been able to understand.

Reactions: JB
Molten;n8888779 said:

I love as small of a package as I can play in each club. But the 585s are definitely better suited for my swing. Doesn't mean I won't own/try the 790s, Apex 19s, etc. A guy can dream of a more consistent swing, right?

Molten;n8888779 said:

I agree with your sentiment, but to me, the AP3 ad P790 are in the category of players distance.” The F9 and HM irons are game improvement. I am not sure where the z585 sit. They are kind of in between the two categories. Thus, if I am comparing apples to apples, at least the way I define “apple,” I would expect the F9 and HM to be bigger. I would compare the size of the P790 to the AP3, i500, Apex ‘19, etc.

Last edited:
Tenputt;n8888981 said:
I agree with your sentiment, but to me, the AP3 ad P790 are in the category of players distance.” The F9 and HM irons are game improvement. I am not sure where the z585 sit. They are kind of in between the two categories. Thus, if I am comparing apples to apples, at least the way I define “apple,” I would expect the F9 and HM to be bigger. I would compare the size of the P790 to the AP2, i500, Apex ‘19, etc.

I agree with you. I was being a hair sloppy there. Players distance is such a strange category to me but you are probably right here.

261C8D91-33E2-4526-B493-89E5E3B05445.jpeg
FH72;n8884443 said:
Any concern with the lack of stopping power with the pitching wedge? I don’t know if I could get comfortable with that rollout.....a lot of 11’s, a 12, and even a 15.

As expected, there should be no real concern about stopping the ball on the green with these irons. I saw some 9 irons and pitching wedges spin back a bit today and the mid irons stopped on a dime.

Molten;n8889302 said:
I agree with you. I was being a hair sloppy there. Players distance is such a strange category to me but you are probably right here.

Regardless, I can’t wait to read your thoughts after getting these irons on the course. To me, there was PXG, who brought the hollow, foam (or some substance) filled iron to golf, but then TaylorMade made it available to the masses. I hit the PXG 311 and I thought the P790s were better. I truly loved the P790 iron and if the new iteration is better in performance and a discernible way, ohh man, that would be a great iron!

JB;n8882741 said:
Molten,
What were your thoughts on the sound? I only got to test a couple of the irons and have some thoughts, but am curious yours here.
Jman - the sound on these is completely fine. It isn’t the same solid “crack” that the F9 irons or some other really great sounding irons have but it’s still not bad.

Flush shots sound like flushed shots and crack-adjacent. Toe misses sound just ok (I had plenty of those today). Candidly, I thought they sounded a lot like many other filled hollow body clubs (although not Ping).

Molten;n8889308 said:

As expected, there should be no real concern about stopping the ball on the green with these irons. I saw some 9 irons and pitching wedges spin back a bit today and the mid irons stopped on a dime.

As part of your evaluation, I would really love to see some comparison to the F9s in terms of real, on course performance. I know you are familiar intimately with the F9s, as am I. I would think the F9s would be a little more forgiving and maybe a tad longer, but less flightable than the P790s.

Back