TaylorMade P790 UDI

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good write up Gary. I have a feeling these aren't going to be nearly as popular as the originals for $ome rea$on????

I played around with one of these previously, looks like a great driving iron replacement for the better golfer, would love to see a UDI version with a bit more forgiveness built in. But that may be a crossover into the GAPR line.

IceyShanks;n8874434 said:
I played around with one of these previously, looks like a great driving iron replacement for the better golfer, would love to see a UDI version with a bit more forgiveness built in. But that may be a crossover into the GAPR line.

the original was definitely the least forgiving of every utility iron I tried (UDI, gapr lo, g410, u 85)...but when struck well there's nothing better distance and acurray wise. This was the best club at truly launching low to hit low bullets out of the wind.

Gapr Lo was my least favorite. it had such terrible sound and feel

IceyShanks;n8874434 said:

God yes. I have the original UDI in the garage still and I use it when the swing is working for incredible bullets but the forgiveness just wasn't where I needed it. Based on the information that TMag has provided so far, they aimed to fix that issue in the current line.

DataDude;n8874219 said:
Good write up Gary. I have a feeling these aren't going to be nearly as popular as the originals for $ome rea$on????

I think the Smoke Black shaft pairing will be better than the original pairing and the forgiveness will be head and shoulders about the original. The price isn't all that different, is it?!

Nice write-up! The use of Ti intrigues me, but the price is a little steep... although really not that far off of other similar sets... CBX ironwoods debuted at $249 per club if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The previous version was a rocket. The only club I saw with similar ballspeeds at a similar loft and length was the f9 4 iron.

I think the stock shaft should be an improvement for the style of player that uses this club. 105g graphite seems like a better blend than 85g. I'm sure ei will show it isnt that big of a change but something about the weight really matters.

The price does bum me out a little considering the number of good options that are around at either standard iron price or a little above, but it seems like prices are still going up. Despite all of that I'll probably still pick one up. Just probably cut down a bit to fit my short self.

I absolutely love the previous version. Maybe my favorite and most creative club in my bag. Hits bullets off of tee, also easy to launch off the turf, great for punch outs and I’’ve even used it to chip here and there.

CanÂ’t wait to give the new version a try. If more forgiving then the new one will truly be a game changer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
M2Giles;n8875113 said:
The previous version was a rocket. The only club I saw with similar ballspeeds at a similar loft and length was the f9 4 iron.

I think the stock shaft should be an improvement for the style of player that uses this club. 105g graphite seems like a better blend than 85g. I'm sure ei will show it isnt that big of a change but something about the weight really matters.

The price does bum me out a little considering the number of good options that are around at either standard iron price or a little above, but it seems like prices are still going up. Despite all of that I'll probably still pick one up. Just probably cut down a bit to fit my short self.

I’m thinking of picking one up too to test out. I love the Smoke Black pairing over the OG Black because I think it launches a bit easier and is great for easier distance with my swing.

I think the 2019 version will be an upgrade but certainly at a cost.

Back