TaylorMade MG2 Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh man.. A 58 in the black finish might be kind of lovely. Great little writeup, looking forward to seeing in hand pics roll out in time

I love the looks of these wedges. I look forward to seeing them in person

There's some pretty cool tech here, but price creep is real. $170/stick is fairly hefty.

Interesting concept having a complete raw face for every wedge. Does that mean they will wear down quicker/slower than a traditional wedge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a fan at all of having the grooved area become rusted while the rest of the face stays standard. That’s a deal breaker for me.

Oh man....I love the looks of these so much. Might have to upgrade to a black 58.....

tequila4kapp;n8874351 said:
I am not a fan at all of having the grooved area become rusted while the rest of the face stays standard. That’s a deal breaker for me.

After watching a video that showed a new wedge face vs a face that had rusted for 6 months, I'm completely out as well. Either go all raw or nothing.

Nice write up James. Some of the shifting of weight and thinning/thickening of areas is not exactly what I expected from TM. One thing I didn't really like all that much of the MG was the feel, so I'll be curious as to how much that TPU insert will change that up for me. I do really wish they went with an all raw body instead of just the face, I just have flashbacks to an older Trusty Rusty I had that was built like that.

arydolphin;n8874395 said:
After watching a video that showed a new wedge face vs a face that had rusted for 6 months, I'm completely out as well. Either go all raw or nothing.

you and i probably watched the same video, and i had to back it up because i wasn't paying full attention. when they showed it i thought, "what the hell is that???" it's going to make for a very strange look in the satin. if i were to game these, it would have to be the black version.

incidentally i tried the mg1 earlier this year and didn't get along with it at all. but the tech story here is really interesting, and honestly i think that's quite the achievement in wedges where for me the story usually falls pretty flat.

That sole finish/treatment looks awesome, and that dark finish looks amazing!

These look good. The black looks darker (better) than most other brands version. Though, I wonder if it’s just the images making it appear that way.

I’m also not a fan of their MG logo. It just seems to out of place on a wedge that otherwise looks clean.

Cant wait to see these in person!!! wanted them since the first press release of pics

Really like the idea of the raw faces. I embrace wedge rust. The price point is a little high for me though.

Canadan;n8874312 said:
I kind of dig the idea of a raw face only.

Do not dig 170 dollars.

Not more than Vokey's MSRP when announced though, no?

Just like those I'd expect us to see them in stores in the 159 range.

Sox_Fan;n8874454 said:
Really like the idea of the raw faces. I embrace wedge rust. The price point is a little high for me though.

Mentioned it above, but its the MSRP, we often see clubs come in lower than that in stores. Wedges especially have that track record.

arydolphin;n8874395 said:

im with you on this as well. plus the cost is a turnoff as well. I know all companies are raising the price on wedges but sheesh

ddec;n8874407 said:
Nice write up James. Some of the shifting of weight and thinning/thickening of areas is not exactly what I expected from TM. One thing I didn't really like all that much of the MG was the feel, so I'll be curious as to how much that TPU insert will change that up for me. I do really wish they went with an all raw body instead of just the face, I just have flashbacks to an older Trusty Rusty I had that was built like that.

Same, I'm eager to find out how the feel changes, because odds are these will end up in my bag this year unless I go all in on the CBX2/RTX combo.

PhillyV;n8874480 said:
im with you on this as well. plus the cost is a turnoff as well. I know all companies are raising the price on wedges but sheesh

I think wedge prices have gone crazy over the years.

I like the tech story quite a bit here. The raw face/not body combo is less than ideal though. Full raw would command more attention imo.

ddec;n8874504 said:
I think wedge prices have gone crazy over the years.

They have. If you compare it to irons theyre on the higher end of things. An 8 iron set at $170/ea is $1360

Little noon-time (CST) bump!

No more conversation/intrigue in these? That honestly surprises me!

Those are some sweet looking wedges!

Back