What 3 wood to buy?

PowerThrust

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for recommendations.

Just won a $400 gift certificate in the pro shop at my club and since I'm happy with all my clubs, new DBM PTX Pros, equalizer wedges, Srixon driver, Hogan 5 wood, 21* VKTR, and Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 putter, I need to update my '02 era GBB 3+ wood.

Think the Pro had accounts with most of the bigger name brands, minus Taylor Made (said he had too many issues in the past with their QC).

PING, Titleist, Callaway?

Gaholfer;n8874518 said:
Looking for recommendations.

Just won a $400 gift certificate in the pro shop at my club and since I'm happy with all my clubs, new DBM PTX Pros, equalizer wedges, Srixon driver, Hogan 5 wood, 21* VKTR, and Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 putter, I need to update my '02 era GBB 3+ wood.

Think the Pro had accounts with most of the bigger name brands, minus Taylor Made (said he had too many issues in the past with their QC).

PING, Titleist, Callaway?

If you like your Srixon driver and, or, Hogan 5-wood then I suggest matching your 3-wood to one of those, including shaft model.

See if you can hit a few demos. I’ve heard good things about the ones that you have listed and I would throw the Cobra & Srixon in as well. Just depends on what you are looking for.

I would go Srixon. If you haven't tried them you should, great fairway woods.

I'm a big fan of the Epic Flash. It's so easy to hit well.

Titleist, Titleist, Titleist!! TS2! or TS3! but I'm fond of the TS2 myself.

since TM is out, id say go with the new srixon f85! Very easy to hit and absolute bomber off the tee and fairway

The Hogan GS53 3 wood is the best I have ever hit. Not sure if that will work with the pro shop credit though. Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 is another really good option.

golfinnut;n8874573 said:
Titleist, Titleist, Titleist!! TS2! or TS3! but I'm fond of the TS2 myself.

I agree 100% on this. Please give them a try because thanks to my TS3 i now have a solid 240 club and I haven't been able to say that for a long time.

I went to a Callaway demo day on Saturday and hit the EPIC Flash (both 3 and 5 wood) with the hope of filling the revolving fairway wood hole. I think I found it with the EPIC FLash 5 wood lofted down to 17*. Wow, it really was great and cant wait to get the one I ordered. May be worth a shot for you if you can try out the Epic Flash 3&5.

I'd scoop up an Epic Flash if I were in your shoes.

I don’t really think you can go wrong, biggest advice would be to try as many as you can and get the one you like best. I still use a Alpha 816 3+ as I haven’t had anything that I’ve hit better.

Low launch is important for me and it’s been the lowest launch one that I’ve hit. Lots of people have trouble elevating FW’s so it would be wildly inappropriate for them, at least how I have it configured. But for me it’s perfect. It took hitting a bunch of them to find the right one for me.

I’ll also add to not rule out Bridgestone if that’s an option. They make quality everything and their FW’s are no exception.

Fairway woods might be the deepest segment this year as far as performance.

If you are a big off the deck guy, not sure much can beat Cobra and the baffler rails.

Flash was OK for me, but the M5/M6 are pure rocket launchers (M5 will suit a more open face player and the M6 is def more closed/draw). Then there is the OG One if you want another tee club.

Speaking of tee though, Tour Edge Exotics (TEE) is STILL the most under the radar IMO.

Jman;n8874707 said:
Fairway woods might be the deepest segment this year as far as performance.

If you are a big off the deck guy, not sure much can beat Cobra and the baffler rails.

Flash was OK for me, but the M5/M6 are pure rocket launchers (M5 will suit a more open face player and the M6 is def more closed/draw). Then there is the OG One if you want another tee club.

Speaking of tee though, Tour Edge Exotics (TEE) is STILL the most under the radar IMO.
He said TM is not available, but tell me more. I love my EF SZ 3wd. Are you telling me the M5 is better?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OGputtnfool;n8874748 said:
He said TM is not available, but tell me more. I love my EF SZ 3wd. Are you telling me the M5 is better?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I still wanted to comment on my experiences with TM.

Better will be in the eye of the beholder. For me, it wasn't close.

I never thought i'd find a 3 wood to knock the TEE EX10 Beta out of the bag, but the Srixon did that for me. I also picked up a ST180 Mizuno from last year and that thing absolutely launches them as well. Happy hunting!

Jman;n8874759 said:
I still wanted to comment on my experiences with TM.

Better will be in the eye of the beholder. For me, it wasn't close.

Longer (as long as it's relatively as accurate) would better in the eye of this beholder. Does the TM give better ball speed? How does the spin compare to the SZ?

Absolutely love my Titleist. It's a 917F2, but I'm sure the new TItleist's are just as good!

Ping G400
my 3 wood is killer

Another vote for the Epic flash. But really, try them all and see what works for you.

I'll chime in for the Epic Flash too. I have one in 7 wood and like it. I adjusted it to 20 degrees from 21.

Hey, thanks for all the input so far! Keep it coming.

I'll find out exactly what all the pro can/is willing to get in so I can demo as much as possible.

I've been playing this 3 wood for so long and am so used to it, that the bar is high to replace it... But with technology these days, I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I settle on... In 30 years I've probably have maybe 5 different sets of clubs, so all these changes lately are exciting, but I realize once I settle in something, I'll probably have it for a while, lol.

Attachments

• photo35722.png
    photo35722.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 2
There are a ton of good options out there so try to hit as many as you can and find the best results for you.

Outside of that I've been playing the Epic Flash and have really enjoyed it, especially the 5 wood.

I really wanted to try a Srixon, but couldn’t find any up here to swing/test so I ended up going with Cobra. Tried both the F7 and F8. Both feel awesome, but the sound of the F7 did it for me. I know they’re not current models, so just my 2c.

Get a fitting! You want distance and accuracy with this club...with your swing. You've got plenty of scratch. Get a fitting.

Back