Checking Your Lofts and Lie Angles

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We get a lot of questions about lofts and lie angles with irons. We wanted to walk you through the checking of those using the Mitchell Signature Machine and why it is important to have them checked each season.

I'm pretty sure I did this all weekend with just about every club I could find. JB and James were a pretty big help in that department to make sure I wasn't screwing things up.

ddec;n8874849 said:
I'm pretty sure I did this all weekend with just about every club I could find. JB and James were a pretty big help in that department to make sure I wasn't screwing things up.

You figured it out quick!

Its a lot of fun, and USEFUL to know how the whole thing (checking L&L) functions.

Jman;n8874851 said:
You figured it out quick!

Its a lot of fun, and USEFUL to know how the whole thing (checking L&L) functions.

absolutely. It was crazy fun checking all that stuff. I won't lie, the few times that I've played since returning, I've hit my irons so much better.

This is one major reason I am so glad I have a Mitchell. Al my iron lies were off from a half a degree to 2 degrees after being readjusted last year. 100+ rounds does that.

my 58 was off 3 deg.

I would also add that you should double check your reference and your work. For example, the Apex CF19 6 iron in the video should have 26.5* of loft, not 29*. The Pro version should have 29*.

Definitely do not try and go off of some "standard" chart/reference as the "standard" for all clubs. Their are design differences between the clubs that could cause them not to perform as well if say they were bent too strong, but didn't have the right CG to help with launch.

ddec;n8874849 said:

haha checking them... then bending them... then checking them again!

Canadan;n8874898 said:
haha checking them... then bending them... then checking them again!

and bending back because I went the wrong way....ooops

Really cool contraption there!

When irons begin to go away from their specs over time, is there a general direction their lofts and lies go? I would guess they get more upright over time from getting pounded into the ground, or even the lofts get lower from the leading edge getting pressed into the ground briefly. Way too many variables could contribute to it, but with my limited golf technology knowledge, that would be my guess.

I should've had mine checked last week when I had foam inserts placed in the shafts.

Another really cool video from the amazing THP Club Lab!

Jman , from your experience, do irons especially forged) tend to get flatter with heavy use?

Another great short video!!!! I have mine checked once a year at the end of season.

Long story short....I need to get one of these machines. And do it without the wife finding out.....

Great video! I still need to make it a priority to get this done with my newest set and then make sure I do it each year.

How often would u recommend getting them checked? Every year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MH;n8875115 said:
How often would u recommend getting them checked? Every year?

That’s a decent rule of thumb. I always check when I get them and then once a season. It will really depend on how often you play and also the irons in question.

i don’t say this as a fear type of thing. I say it as THPer type of thing. We think about every aspect of equipment, this is an easy one to have done.

Being honest, I’ve never had my forged irons checked and they’re 2.5 years old.

I have my suspicions based on my own weird gaping issues but I feel like things could be really off...

Thanks to Jman for bending my Mizuno JPX-919 Forged irons 1 degree strong across the board in the THP Lab. They will be put into play this week.

JB;n8875851 said:
Thanks to Jman for bending my Mizuno JPX-919 Forged irons 1 degree strong across the board in the THP Lab. They will be put into play this week.

Strong like bull.

Hahahaha

At least I didn’t break those....

Yes, I definitely need to pull the trigger on a L/L Machine of some kind. Like it was said, "covert purchase"

donny475;n8875910 said:
Yes, I definitely need to pull the trigger on a L/L Machine of some kind. Like it was said, "covert purchase"

The Mitchell devices are the best we have used and will last a lifetime. If you tell them you are a THPer, they might even drop some personalization on there for you.

JB;n8875923 said:
The Mitchell devices are the best we have used and will last a lifetime. If you tell them you are a THPer, they might even drop some personalization on there for you.

What kind of scratch are we talking about here for an "acceptable" setup?

BlueHen2006;n8874916 said:
Really cool contraption there!

When irons begin to go away from their specs over time, is there a general direction their lofts and lies go? I would guess they get more upright over time from getting pounded into the ground, or even the lofts get lower from the leading edge getting pressed into the ground briefly. Way too many variables could contribute to it, but with my limited golf technology knowledge, that would be my guess.

Strong and flat is how they will drift over time.

H8tobogie;n8875948 said:
What kind of scratch are we talking about here for an "acceptable" setup?

For a new Mitchell, they are over $1000. For the Signature Machine in the video, over 2. If you contact them, they do have Refurbs from time to time that are fantastic also.

There are other options, but to me, if you are checking loft and lie and using devices completely different from what OEMs and Fitters use, are you really checking loft and lie? Haha.

Back