If your swing speed is 90 - 92 what ball has been the longest for you off the tee?

jhd12

Reaction score
Handicap
First, I am not looking for a new ball. I am a big, big fan of Srixon Q-Star tour and use it exclusively - it really fits my game perfectly.

But I am in a tournament in 3 weeks and part of the tournament is the "longest drive" contest. But this tournament does it differently - it is done by age. The 3 age groups are under 40, 40 - 65, and over 65. I am over 65 so I don't have to compete with a 25 year old who will hit it 320. I am taking this seriously because first prize in each age group is $250, and every year there are only about a dozen to 15 of us in the over 65 so in my mind I have a chance - actually a better than 1 in 15 chance because some of the older guys just don't hit it very far any more.

So as I asked in the title, are there any balls that stand out for distance for someone with a driver swing speed 90 or so?

Thank you for your help!!!

Last edited:
imho the most important aspect of ball performance is what you need from 100 yards and in. after that, your delivery characteristics are much more important than swing speed. high spin may benefit from softer balls, lower spin from firmer balls. i might be wrong, but that’s my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I might hit 90mph once a round or so on my good days. Probably more an 88-89mph driver swing on average.

The only ball I've tried that I'm sure was longer than a ProV1/Chrome Soft/TP5/Snell/B330/etc. type Tour ball was the AVX. It had a pretty low and boring trajectory and landed hot with 5-10 extra yards of runout compared to other balls I've used. Assuming of course that the fairways were firm, in the winter when everything plugs the extra rollout can't really show up.

After 18 months I decided to give up that "one club less on approach" advantage from the little bit of extra distance. I just didn't like the slightly less stopping power on iron shots or the fact AVX will scoot forward a bit more on bunker shots, etc. around the green.

P.S. When I say it's the only ball I'm sure is longer, for all I know a Pro V1x might be a couple yards longer than a Chrome Soft or vice versa. For my game, the difference has to be pretty large to distinguish a real advantage from just swing-to-swing and day-to-day variation.

Yes. Play the Bridgestone Tour B RX. It's a great ball, flies far and straight and has a urethane cover.

Bridgestone makes some great balls. The Tour B RX(s) is a great line but maybe try out the E12 series to see if you can pick up some extra distance. Have you tried their online fitting tool?

I am right around that 90 mph mark. Not sure that switching up a ball is going to get you any gains when trying one over the next. I have tried just about every ball out there in the past year or two (Chrome Soft, TP5x, ProV, ProV1x, Volvik Vivid, Supersoft, Superhot Bold, Srixon Soft Feel, Bridgestone e6, e12, Maxfli Tour Soft, Wilson Duo Pro, Srixon Z Star XV, Q Star Tour just to name a few) and all went my expected distance off the driver, irons and wedges.

What should get you an 10-15 extra yards on a drive is perfect contact over a mishit. I would try the longest shaft you can swing and still hit the sweet spot to maximize distance.

Also pickup some Superspeed Golf speed sticks. In 3 weeks of the program you should see real gains.

jhd12;n8875413 said:
First, I am not looking for a new ball. I am a big, big fan of Srixon Q-Star tour and use it exclusively - it really fits my game perfectly.

But I am in a tournament in 3 weeks and part of the tournament is the "longest drive" contest. But this tournament does it differently - it is done by age. The 3 age groups are under 40, 40 - 65, and over 65. I am over 65 so I don't have to compete with a 25 year old who will hit it 320. I am taking this seriously because first prize in each age group is $250, and every year there are only about a dozen to 15 of us in the over 65 so in my mind I have a chance - actually a better than 1 in 15 chance because some of the older guys just don't hit it very far any more.

So as I asked in the title, are there any balls that stand out for distance for someone with a driver swing speed 90 - 92?

Thank you for your help!!!

Try the ERC, I think it will fit what you are looking for.

Get the hardest urethane ball you can find. Pro v1x, zstar xv, etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Try the Titleist AVX. I play the Bridgestone for slower swing speed tour type balls....Tried the AVX as a bud gave me a sleeve. They went farther. On all clubs...Didn't stop too quick either on approaches. So for a one off long drive...It should work a little better.

I suggest the Callaway Supersoft as it doesn’t spin and a few years ago it was long for me.

The Bridgestone B RX is indeed a very good ball. I played it for almost a year. I think some comparable balls to it are the Snell MTB Black, the Vice Pro, and the Oncore Elixir. During my experimentation, I found that I could interchange these balls and not see any appreciable difference from tee to green.

I then decided to try the Snell MTB-X and at first thought it was just too firm. Went back to the Tour B RX for a while, but decided to give the MTB-X another try. It was eye-opening and I can't seem to quit playing it. I even tried the Bridgestone Tour B XS which is supposed to be almost as firm as the Snell X but it just didn't perform as well off the driver.

I recently returned from Hawaii and took a couple of sleeves of the MTB-X with me. I had a number of different playing partners - most of whom were much better than me. Most of them were playing a Titleist ProV1, ProV1x, or Callaway Chromesoft. I gave them each an MTB-X to compare to their current ball and every one of them asked me how to buy them because they had not heard of it. They were getting more distance and loved the way it launched off the driver, but delivered the spin they were looking for on approach shots. I came away feeling pretty good about my ball selection. If you haven't tried it, you might give it a shot and see how it works for you. No, I don't have any affiliation to Snell, but more than impressed with their products.

I can crush Callaway SuperSofts, but they do not meet my needs around the green. Of the balls I like around the green Bridgestone B330RX seem to really fly for me off of all clubs.

Callaway ERC if you need to play the entire hole with one ball otherwise Callaway SuperHot is the longest ball I've played.

My 75 year old driver swing speed now is 83-85 mph. The longest ball I've found is the Callaway Supersoft.

TP5 with a mid flight will run forever. My longest drives in the last couple of years have been with them. Great overall ball, but I still like Chromesofts too.

Wiskey;n8876225 said:
I really like this article. They did ball testing with a swing robot at different swing speeds:
https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

Whiskey

Yes, go here. This is the most comprehensive and controlled golf ball testing I have seen. Based on this article, the Snell MTB-X and the Titleist ProV1x would be your best bet at 90 MPH swing speed.

If the QST fits you game perfectly, roll with that in the contest. For a one shot competition, I think the more important thing is putting a good, confident swing on the ball than finding a different ball that may squeeze out 1.2 yards more if you absolutely nut it.

kevin81002;n8875905 said:
Get the hardest urethane ball you can find. Pro v1x, zstar xv, etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

+1
The QST and BRXS have been my choice for the last two years.
Last two rounds with ZStar, driving distance difference even caught the attention of my wife.
At a minimum, something with a higher compression or harder cover such as BRX.

I find they all pretty much go the same distance. Maybe the Prov1x goes a tad further.

Back