Most vulnerable club in your bag

bigskyirish;n8876542 said:
I would say 3 wood. I've never just loved the one I have, and I suspect the Epic Flash version would be an upgrade.

That's a safe bet. I loved my Rogue before this one. I'm now gaming the EF SZ and love it.

campilobaxter;n8876642 said:
Gap wedge. No matter what set of irons I play, the gap wedge always flips me the bird. I'm used to playing a set GW, might be time to go for a stand alone club.

I have played a set GW in the past almost exclusively. The current setup includes a Vokey SM6 GW to match the SW and LW.

It's gotta be my 4h. Everything else in my bag has been replaced in the past year. It's not that I don't like this 4h, but I think I'm missing out on newer tech by playing a 15ish year old club.

That would be my putter. It wouldn't have to be a Scotty either. If I knew that I was fitted for it, it wouldn't matter the OEM. As long as I knew the putter was right for my stroke, I know that it's my fault & not the putter when I miss. I could be such a better player if I could putt.

Weirdly my 7 iron. Has a bit of a rattle to it I can't get rid of (despite multiple attempts), and it is strangely the iron I dislike hitting the most.

4/5/6 no problems. 8/9/PW. No problem there. That 7 iron yardage is one that I try and avoid like the plague right now.

Top of the bag. Currently I have a 3 ironwood as my longest fairway club. I would live to have a 180-190 yard club above that, but I have yet to find a hybrid I can hit.

Tough one. I am actually pretty happy with all my clubs. Maybe my 5wood, but only if I could replace it with a better performing option, but it is working fine for me now.

Only other options would be replace my RTX3 with SM7, but not because the RTX3 has any shortcomings, but the SM7 perform better in my hands. Not better enough to bench the RTX, but when it wears out, SM7 will replace it.

I will respond with all of them. Mostly because mine are older and no longer "fit" me. All but my putter and driver are almost 18 years old. Also, if money was no object then my wife can't say that clubs are too expensive, be happy with what you got. Haha

Either hybrid is gone if I find a better option. Same goes for the putter...

I would have to say my 56° MD4 wedge. To carry the 3w I drop the 52° leaving me with too big of a gap after my AW. If I replaced the 56° with a 54° I'd have 6° gaps going AW to 54° to 60°.

campilobaxter;n8876642 said:
Gap wedge. No matter what set of irons I play, the gap wedge always flips me the bird. I'm used to playing a set GW, might be time to go for a stand alone club.

I prefer to play a set gap. It's a mental and approach thing for me. I don't want to be tempted to get creative with that club I think. That said, I'm picky about them and you will hear 'not for me' (meaning the set) come out of my mouth pretty darn quick if I don't like it. It's ridiculous, and probably something I'll need to get over at some point, but It's too important of a club to lack confidence in. Swapping it out for a stand alone might be one of those things you end up kicking yourself for not doing sooner. And if you've had consistent trouble with them, the new look and fresh history of it alone could do wonders.

Putter and my wedges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always the 3w. Just am not seeing a need for it. 2H is much better club for me.

Apparently like a few others, the set GW has had little love in my bag. Have tried to make it a happy member of the family, but for some reason it decides to be the rebellious child. So had no recourse but to relegate it to the backup set. And replace with an new Ion Blue S-58 50*. First round three full shots within 15’. Why did I wait two freakin’ years. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McLovin;n8876546 said:
probably 5i. it's a club i need often enough to not get rid of it entirely, but it's a club i constantly struggle with. i feel like i could do a full fitting just to figure out that club. i want it to go high and land softly to attack a par 5 after a good drive. but i also want to hit it low if i'm in the trees. oh, and i want it to be like a driving iron on some short tight par 4s.

Don’t want this to come off wrong, but have you tried a 5 -6H? I have an older Cobra 5h that is just money. Easy as heck to hit from any lie and just flat out performs.

You may may need the possible slot in the bag, but I doubt you need “it”.

Id have never thought I’d ever use a hybrid. But fast forward a ton of craptastic golf and my Cobra 4h is my most reliable club in the bag. Even mishit I can count on it going 200. 245 or so if struck clean. It’s fantastic. Easy club to do whatever. When my swing totally went south in the THP Bridgestone Championship, it’s what I found fairways with for my Pardner when playing Alt Shot.

Irons are at the whims of the golf lords. Hybrids are the workhorses of normal golfers.

Driver. I'm not in the Army anymore. I don't need it to go left then right then left every time I hit it. #anywherebutstraight

6i even on a good day I’m sacred to hit it. I can hit a pull hook out of the planet with that club.

MonroeBob1955;n8876905 said:
Apparently like a few others, the set GW has had little love in my bag. Have tried to make it a happy member of the family, but for some reason it decides to be the rebellious child. So had no recourse but to relegate it to the backup set. And replace with an new Ion Blue S-58 50*. First round three full shots within 15’. Why did I wait two freakin’ years. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont be afraid to execute it on sight when needed, lol.

I cant even count the number of rounds I’ve “found it” with a club only to have “lost it” next time out.

I hope thats not the case for you, but in my bag a clubs place is never safe. I want them scared, lol!

My 3Wood; if I could find the mythical unicorn that works on the tee and fairway and (sadly) rough....

Driver or Hybrid.

I'd swap out my ST180 for an F9
And I'd ditch the Hybrid for a Gapr Low or Callaway Utility iron

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The responsible decision withdraw be wedge to fix a gapping issue I have.

However my real answer is the same as it usually is, the putter.

Driver right now would go for something more current.

3 wood.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Since about 1988, always the putter. :act-up:

Irons, and it really shouldn't be irons. I like my irons.

But because I've struggled with my irons swing, I fell victim to an impulse purchase.

Of course, with the new to me set on the way, I seemed to have righted my season long slump and have been striping irons through 2.5 rounds. Who wouldn't have guessed?

So... we'll have to see.

Back