Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
Interesting article.

Fun read. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Good read!

Good read! Thanks

Wow, stuff from Asian contract manufacturers is really cheap. Wait til all those $49 Android phones show up. Apple will be GIVING AWAY iPhones.

Wait, has that happened yet?

Oh well. At least Titleist had to knock down the price of ProV1 to 30 bucks to compete with Snell and Vice.

Wait, what???

I'm not going to lie, and maybe it's because I've been pretty informed on this issue already, but that came off as nothing more than a puff piece to me. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, puff pieces have their place in pretty much every medium. And just in case someone thinks I am hating on the DTC balls, just know that I have played the Elixr for a majority of the season.

ddec;n8877557 said:
I'm not going to lie, and maybe it's because I've been pretty informed on this issue already, but that came off as nothing more than a puff piece to me. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, puff pieces have their place in pretty much every medium. And just in case someone thinks I am hating on the DTC balls, just know that I have played the Elixr for a majority of the season.

It says nothing about a) market share of the "disruptors" or b) their effect on the established companies.

I mean if I go out and sell 10 dozen golf ball for $2 a dozen, does that make me a "disruptor"? Who or what did I "disrupt".

Based on that article (I agree with your puff piece characterisation) anyone who offers to sell something cheaply is a "disruptor". Without making some sort of inroad into the "$5 billion market for golf balls" they've done nothing but some some balls cheaply. Plenty eBay listings for cheap golf balls on any given day, those aren't "disrupting" anything.

ddec;n8877557 said:

It’s Bloomberg so it’s not written for Golf Geeks like us. However, I’m sure that the average Bloomberg reader doesn’t know much if anything about the DTC market. It’s a great introductory article how a new golf ball business model is available to the consumers.

wubears71;n8877583 said:
It’s Bloomberg so it’s not written for Golf Geeks like us. However, I’m sure that the average Bloomberg reader doesn’t know much if anything about the DTC market. It’s a great introductory article how a new golf ball business model is available to the consumers.

That is the very definition of “puff piece”.

Et Tu Brute?;n8877596 said:
That is the very definition of “puff piece”.

If you don’t like it then move on.

wubears71;n8877583 said:

No, I get that. That is partially why I labeled it the way I did. And like I said, nothing wrong with puff pieces, they have their place. It's just to me, that is exactly how I would classify this one. So for me, I don't think it's worth the 5 minute read if one has already heard about Snell, Vice, Cut, or Oncore because I don't think there is much informational value.

ddec;n8877620 said:
No, I get that. That is partially why I labeled it the way I did. And like I said, nothing wrong with puff pieces, they have their place. It's just to me, that is exactly how I would classify this one. So for me, I don't think it's worth the 5 minute read if one has already heard about Snell, Vice, Cut, or Oncore because I don't think there is much informational value.

Then I am sorry for posting it and wasting your time.

Nah you sir are fine. I like the banter.

ddec;n8877626 said:
Nah you sir are fine. I like the banter.
Damnt Dean, stop bantering and get me a Coke.

Wake;n8877724 said:
Damnt Dean, stop bantering and get me a Coke.

damn do I still owe you one?

Et Tu Brute?;n8877572 said:
It says nothing about a) market share of the "disruptors"

DTC market share is currently 8-9% of the $5 billion dollar ball market, as it clearly states in the article.

BuckNasty;n8877905 said:
DTC market share is currently 8-9% of the $5 billion dollar ball market, as it clearly states in the article.

Damn, that seems like a good share to me.

BuckNasty;n8877905 said:

I’m not sure that number is accurate fwiw.

JB;n8877923 said:

The $5 billion number is wrong also. The article says golf balls account for $420 million of the $5 billion in total equipment sales

JB;n8877923 said:

Bloomberg better start using more reliable sources then haha

I like the last line, "If you can't tell the difference, buy the cheapest". That was my move for many years. In the past 5 years or so, I have started to notice the differences between various balls. I've used plenty of Pro-V1's but I've never actually bought a dozen. After "acquiring" a couple Vice balls and finding them very satisfactory, I ordered 5 dozen this week. 8% share is a pretty good slice in an established market, I think it will only grow from there.

Interesting article and they are right. Theres so many DTC companies out there who will sell you golf balls on the cheap and most of them are made in the same ball plants in Asia. Its really shed a light on just how big of a role brand plays in what people buy and are loyal to.
Ive played both Snell and Vice and if I didnt care about brand or where the ball was made and just wanted to save a few bucks, Id probably pick one of those. I prefer to play a ball that was made in the good ole U.S. of A. though, which is why I stick with Titleist.

Back