Shaft Selection: did I make an error?

PowerThrust

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently changed out my entire bag, for an upgrade that was about 15 years overdue. The most significant change I made is my iron set, Ben Hogan DBM Ptx Pro's w/UST Recoil 780 F4 with SMACWRAP. I didn't want to post this on the Ptx Pro review thread, because I love the clubs and have said as much in that thread. My post today pertains more to my shaft selection and some shots I've seen...

Again, to be clear, I love the clubs. You might ask, how can I say I love the clubs if I'm saying I think I might have the wrong shaft...I still think I can make them work. I guess the question is, should I make them work, or should I look for something else, ugh, lol.

When I swing smooth, am confident that the smooth swing will net the results I need, they're amazing...but we all now, occasionally you're in between clubs, or maybe there's a slight breeze that jumps up in your face and you feel you need a little extra...in several of those cases (now that I've got about 15 rounds with these clubs) I've noticed REALLY extreme bad results from trying to put a FULL load on the club.

Generally I have a pretty smooth swing, but when I try to load up an iron shot (usually only with say a 6 iron or shorter) my tendency is not to have a longer swing but a more "violent" transition...in the past this has worked well for me with DG s300's, but with these recoils, even though I'll have solid contact I can really FEEL the bend and the result is a very weak, fade short and right...just not a shot shape/result I have ever seen before. At first I figured it was just me, making a poor swing because I tried to swing with too much mustard. But this has happened in rounds where I'm really on and have been sticking some shots, so I don't think it's necessarily me now.

So I guess my question is, for those of you who have made these types of changes before, and probably alot more often than I have, have you seen these types of issues with graphite? It just really feels like on those instances where I amp up, the shaft just doesnt keep up, so maybe the profile isn't quite right.

I went and got fitted local before making the shaft selection and the initial Mizuno DNA called out something in the KBS Tour x-stiff range...but I looked at him and told him that look, I'm 44 years old, I'm not trying to go to an x-stiff shaft for the first time in my life...so we tried a bunch of different shafts...and since I knew the recoil was one I was interested in, he had me swing a stick with the Recoil 95 ES?? I think that's right...and everything checked out well then, so he said the 780 F4 would be a good fit as well.

I should probably just refrain from loading up on a shot and go back and club up and swing smooth and easy, probably the right answer...

Why does everything have to be so complicated, lol.

I’m no expert but there is a significant weight difference in the DG steel and the Recoil 780. Probably in the range of 40g. I can only assume that would be a pretty hefty adjustment to your swing tempo and I’m sure the Recoil probably flexes quite a bit more if you swing as hard as it sounds like you do.

i have the Recoil 780 in F3 and I try not to swing out of my shoes with them but I’m also guessing I don’t swing as fast as you do either.

gmiller598 I agree with you. Going from DG steel to Smacwrap 780 is a huge change in shaft weighting. It could easily mess up timing, especially if trying to really turn on the ball. I have enjoyed Recoils in the 95 and 110 weights, but for some reason, if I get below 95 grams in a shaft, I just struggle to make good face contact and keep my swing on plane. For me, it is all about the weight, rather than the steel v graphite question. Graphite can be made to play as stiff as steel. SteelFibers are very stout shafts. I would dare say that @Ghaholfer would not struggle at all if the graphite shaft were 110 grams or higher. Whether one can adapt to the lighter shaft over time is very individual.

I've played Recoil 95's for years, and struggled mightily with my Hogan demos. During a recent fitting it came to light that I'm better and more consistent with a heavier shaft. Hopefully by the time I get my next set in a few years there will be more options in the 120 take, because I do really like the way my 95's feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried Recoil 125's for a brief period, in between always playing ~130 gram x-flex steel shafts. It was the worst period of golf I've every played, even worse than when I first started.

Now, my son, who swings his hybrids around 80-84 mphs, has the Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap shafts in his 4 & 5 hybrid and they are the only inconsistent clubs in his bag. So much so that he doesn't trust them anymore and rarely pulls them for a shot. It's not the fact that they are longer clubs because 3 wood is pinpoint accurate for him, but it has the HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 Stiff shaft in it.

All that is to say, that some people may love the Recoil lineup, but it's certainly not for everyone. And there are way too many options available to try and force the Recoils to work for you (or you/your swing to work for the shafts).

I play Recoils for the aches and elbow pains. That being said, I tried going from 95's down to the 780ES and it was a snap hook monster for me. You have to find the right Recoils shaft for your swing if you want to stay with them.

This is an interesting observation, I'm testing some Recoil shafts in some Ben Hogan Wedges and I'm loving them so far.
I like them so much that, I think that my next iron set with have Recoils...

Gaholfer;n8878609 said:
When I swing smooth, am confident that the smooth swing will net the results I need, they're amazing...but we all now, occasionally you're in between clubs, or maybe there's a slight breeze that jumps up in your face and you feel you need a little extra...
Yes, ALWAYS swing smooth is the correct answer. If there is wind and, or, you are between clubs, always take the less lofted club and swing smooth.

JDax;n8878769 said:
This is an interesting observation, I'm testing some Recoil shafts in some Ben Hogan Wedges and I'm loving them so far.
I like them so much that, I think that my next iron set with have Recoils...

Dax, how would you describe your normal swing tempo? Fast, aggressive or moderate?

DG_1234;n8878789 said:
Yes, ALWAYS swing smooth is the correct answer. If there is wind and, or, you are between clubs, always take the less lofted club and swing smooth.
Yeah, I have played stretches of holes with these where I've had nothing but 10ft birdie putts, so I like them and know I can perform with them. I also think I know better, that smooth swings are generally my best play and that club up, not man up (might trademark that) should be might first choice...I think maybe I just need to give a little more time with learning these new clubs.

Play to your strengths, right?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Gaholfer;n8878856 said:
Yeah, I have played stretches of holes with these where I've had nothing but 10ft birdie putts, so I like them and know I can perform with them. I also think I know better, that smooth swings are generally my best play and that club up, not man up (might trademark that) should be might first choice...I think maybe I just need to give a little more time with learning these new clubs.

Play to your strengths, right?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Remember that players swings are often a result of the equipment they play. In other words, someone with too stiff of shafts usually develops a swing that requires too much effort. This is one of the major problems with "fittings". A customer during a fitting makes his customary swings going hard at the ball, a swing he has developed from years of playing too stiff of shafts. The fitter then makes equipment spec recommendations based on the player's faulty swing, and the customer continues on with too stiff of shafts.
If you are set up now with shafts that allow you to make relaxed, smooth tempo swings which produce excellent shots, that is great. In fact, those shafts will help, and train you, to make consistently good smooth tempo swings. If at any point you feel the need to "go hard at the ball", then just take one more club and that feeling will disappear.

I have both the 780s and the 95s in my MC set and don't notice a big difference. my swing isn't that aggressive though.

Stemmy66;n8878824 said:
Dax, how would you describe your normal swing tempo? Fast, aggressive or moderate?

I’m always try to slow it down, because I tend to get too fast at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think 95 ES exists in the Recoil world. I played 95 F4 is two previous iron sets and 780 ES Smacwrap F4 in my current and last iron sets. I have not noticed a dispersion difference between the two shafts. I play a slight draw with both with a hook coming out with a bad swing. Have not noticed it as being more of an issue with the 780 as compared to the 95. What I have noticed is that the 780 launch a little higher and feel a little smoother. Fwiw, I am not a high swing speed player and my SS puts me on the upper end of F3 and lower end of F4. I value accuracy much more than distance so I opt for the stiffer shaft to help cut down on dispersion.

It doesn’t answer your question but I’m about to make the exact opposite change so I’ll do my best to share my experiences.

Update: played this past Wednesday and tired the best I've shot this season, 73. Funny thing is, I was forced to swing easy because I aggravated a nagging injury I've had for a long time now in my left glute. To be honest I wasn't sure I was going to be able to give it a go, but I'm stubborn and I love to play.

Hit some very nice iron shots with good distance and accuracy, so smooth it is... Of course now I'm going to the UST event and am going to be able to try a heavier graphite shaft and completely mess everything up!

Back