Taylormade Hi-toe vs Callaway PM grind

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
has anyone had any extensive time with both of these wedges?

The shape of the hi-toe looks better to me but want to know what other fellow THPers thought.

The shape of the hi toe looked better to me too. As did the finish. But I have to have my wedges match ( personal preference) so i couldn’t stand having the 54° hi toe not have full face grooves like the 58° would. Therefore, it led me to the PM grind. Haven’t looked back.

Play OG PMs and picked up a Hi-Toe. The copper finish wears and looks bad really fast. The sole grind is not as versatile and the look at address just did not give me the same confidence I have with my PMs. Since I already played PMs, the shape always just looked wrong to me. Traded it in for a shiny new PM.

Last edited:
baddog;n8879203 said:
Play OG PMs and picked up a Hi-Toe. The copper finish wears and looks bad really fast. The sole grind is not as versatile and the look at address just did not give me the same confidence I have with my PMs. Since I already played PMs, the shape always just looked wrong to me. Traded it in for a shiny new, PM.

Man, I played the heeeeeeeck out of my set and they’re now getting even more time in one of my HS kids bags and the finish still looks really nice. Sure some of the antiqued look wore, but the copper look is still slick.

For me on these two it’s hi toe by a LANDSLIDE, but I’m definitely in the minority on that here at THP.

Better look, more versatile for me, better feel, better everything.

I have a 58* Hi-Toe in route. I like the shape over the PM from what I saw and the copper finish looks really nice. I hope I like the performance as much as the look.

Jman;n8879208 said:
Man, I played the heeeeeeeck out of my set and they’re now getting even more time in one of my HS kids bags and the finish still looks really nice. Sure some of the antiqued look wore, but the copper look is still slick.

For me on these two it’s hi toe by a LANDSLIDE, but I’m definitely in the minority on that here at THP.

Better look, more versatile for me, better feel, better everything.

JMan, I think I am on your side. I really like the rounded look compared to the pm shape. This is going to be my specialty wedge as I love my ping glide 2.0 50 and 54.

I have not tried the high toe so I can’t comment on it. I will say the PMs are insanely versatile and easy to use on any shot around the green. I hated the looks of this class of wedges and swore them off. Then I put a PM Grind in my hand and hit shots. I doubt I’ll ever not have one in the bag.

tequila4kapp;n8879221 said:
I have not tried the high toe so I can’t comment on it. I will say the PMs are insanely versatile and easy to use on any shot around the green. I hated the looks of this class of wedges and swore them off. Then I put a PM Grind in my hand and hit shots. I doubt I’ll ever not have one in the bag.

Are you hitting any 3/4 shots with it kapp?

I have a 50deg Aproach wedge with my iron set, I added the 54 deg High toe a couple of months ago and I have not put anything else in the bag. I hit it out of bunkers, lay it open for flops and it is awesome

MattyDMPLS;n8879223 said:
Are you hitting any 3/4 shots with it kapp?

I haven’t played much this season but when I do play I hit 3/4 shots with the PM. I have to be careful to guard against digging deep and taking a beaver pelt. Ball position and opening the face up a tiny bit seem to do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant imagine any club being vastly more versatile than the PM grind. Still scary on full swing from tight lies. The hi toe dug a bit from 3/4 to full swing on a demo day at the range. Never tired it again, so not the best judge.

MattyDMPLS;n8879217 said:
JMan, I think I am on your side. I really like the rounded look compared to the pm shape. This is going to be my specialty wedge as I love my ping glide 2.0 50 and 54.

Its just flat out superior for me.

I'd venture the new Glide 3.0 Eye would/will be similar too.

I have never been able to become comfortable with the look of the PM. Aside from that, I like everything about the Hi Toe wedges better than the PMs. I love the copper. The grind works better for me and the shape of the wedge suits my eye.

I pondered this same thing for some time. I went with the HI-TOE and couldn’t be happier. Love the soft feel and versatile sole.
The finish has lasted much longer than I expected and I’m actually quite enjoying seeing my strike wear pattern develop.
I also love that it came stock with the KBS shaft.

YukonLiving;n8879662 said:
I pondered this same thing for some time. I went with the HI-TOE and couldn’t be happier. Love the soft feel and versatile sole.
The finish has lasted much longer than I expected and I’m actually quite enjoying seeing my strike wear pattern develop.
I also love that it came stock with the KBS shaft.

Did you go with the ATV sole or the 10* bounce sole?

I think it’s going to come down to personal preference at address. I think the PM has a slightly bigger footprint and the Hi-Toe is slightly more compact, but others can chime in as I’m going off what I’ve seen at the store.

For me the PM is in the bag due to the comfort level. There isn’t anything I can’t do inside of 100yds with my 54/48 pm grinds

MattyDMPLS;n8879668 said:
Did you go with the ATV sole or the 10* bounce sole?

I went with the ATV. It’s my go-to club 50 yards and in - seriously considering a swapping out my 4 iron for a 54 degree.

I ended up going with the 10* 4 way sole. I read other reviews of the ATV and the 4way and it sounds like the ATV dug into the ground on longer shots. I am excited to get it.

I have never used a PM Grind, but my Hi-Toe is the first lob wedge I have felt comfortable with. The longer it has been in my bag the more shots I hit with it. This dry baked out summer we have been going through in this area it has not only become a weapon, but a necessity.

I have used both the new and old version of the PM (I find them very similar), as well as the Hi-Toe. I like them all, but haven't really loved any of them. I find the PM grinds slightly better from the sand and for flop-ish shots around the green on hard surfaces, but I don't like taking a more normal square face chip or pitch with them, there the Hi-Toe was better for me.

I recently switched to larger gaps with my wedges and wanted a lob wedge that I could pitch a bit longer than what I am comfortable doing with my 60* PM, so have been testing a few things and found a lob wedge I really like. It's the 60* Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2. It looks a little funky, but actually less so than the new PM grind when you place them next to each other. I find it just as versatile around the greens and in the sand as the PM, but much more forgiving through the ground on longer, lower pitch shots. There is a tiny bit of bounce right behind the leading edge which is what I think makes it go through the ground a little easier, but it still plays like a low bounce wedge when you want it too.

I really like it a lot, but of course wedges are so personal. Totally worth looking at though.

I received my 60* Hi-toe Wednesday and took it out on the course immediately. With the first shot I hit a 3/4 from 60 yards and hit it to 7 feet. Good start. Hit a bunch of these shots throughout my 9 holes and it is super consistent. I got this wedge for around the greens and it is going to take some time getting used to 2* more of loft.

I prefer the shape of the Hi-Toe over the PM, but I have yet to give either an extensive workout. I ordered a 60.10 Hi-Toe, which I planned to send back because I want the "raw face" version. I was surprised with how much of the copper finish had already come off on a "new," unused wedge. Ultimately, I'm fine with that, because I don't mind rust, but that darker finish on the PM 19 is gorgeous.

I am glad I found this discussion. Replacing wedges is next up for me. I will likely start with a 60 and fill in after that. I have a 60PM from 2016 that I love. I can't imagine playing without the PM or something similar. I will start with a 60 and fill in once I have what I like. I would prefer to keep one brand of wedges. I guess there are 3, maybe 4, options:
  • PM19 60 + MD5's - I hit a couple of MD5s. Nice but a little too light. I would need to explore other shafts I suppose.
  • Hi Toe + MG2's - I like the in-hand weight. No demos to hit. There is some negative feedback that bugs me.
  • Eye2 + glide 3.0 - I have hit a couple of these. Nice but something makes me hesitate. Larger heads?
  • I suppose I could also go with a low bounce, versatile grind 60 in an RTX4 or T-20. But, so much love for the PM style in the 60.
Short of buying a PM19 60, Hi Toe 60, and Eye 2 60 and testing head to head, I'm not sure which way to go.

@mtcowdog Never hit a Hi-Toe, but I do have a mate with the PM 60 that I've hit a fair bit, and in that loft I currently have an older Eye2 gorge (although a 60° Glide 3.0 Eye2 is incoming), and currently have a Glide 3.0 Eye2 in 56°.

Whenever I hit his PM, it always feels like it's a little diggy, like I have to really focus on how and where I'm coming into the ball, almost to the exclusion of rest of the shot if that makes sense. That feeling is accentuated whenever I'm in sand, and I often knife it, ironically because I feel I could go right underneath it, and I'm pulling "up".

The Ping never feels like that to me, it's so easy out of bunkers and off the turf, it allows me to concetrate on what I want the shot to achieve without worrying excessively about the contact. The Gorge sole and the Glide3.0 sole on my 56° are nigh on identical, and in my limited time with the 56°, it gives me that same feeling of confidence as I strike it.

Of course there will be people who feel the opposite.

I've had two Pm Grind wedges; an original one that I used a couple of years ago for a bit, and then a 2.0 that I used from February until about a month ago. Very good out of the sand, great with flop shots out of fluffy green-side lies, etc. And I'd hit an occasional great pitch/chip with them. But in between all that were way too many awful shots.

Put a HiToe Bigfoot in the back a month ago. Admittedly, a month is a limited sample size; it's been used 4 or 5 rounds. But I'm not exaggerating when I say that thus far, it's been the deadliest wedge I've ever owned. I actually don't think I've taken a full swing with it on the course yet; haven't needed to. But on touch shots around the greens, holy hell! This morning, for example, I didn't use my putter on holes 2 through 6. 2 and 3 I chipped it to an inch.....literally an inch. One of them may have been half an inch. Holes 4 and 5 I chipped in. Holes 8 and 9 I put it to about a foot.

Now, I clearly need to improve my approach shots with short irons, because that's far too many missed greens! But honestly, it was so money today that it was almost a relief to miss a green, because I was more confident that I'd can the chip shot, than if I had a long lag putt.

And it's been like that in each round I've used it. Soft floaters over a bunker, settling next to a tight, tucked pin......no problem. Little back foot checkers that hop and stop. Yep. It's a magic wand.

Back