mpeterson;n8879531 said:
This year was a complete overhaul w/ the Grandaddy, and a set I'll cherish (and keep in the bag) for a long time.

Normally, the clubs that are the least safe are irons and driver, maybe putter. Once I get used to woods, they're really tough to kick out of the bag. Especially the fairways and hybrids. Wedges I play until they wear down (or I leave them next to a green and nobody turns them in...)

That said, going to take a LOT to kick the CF19 out of the bag.

This is really similar to me and I am not even sure I noticed it until reading your post. Hybrids and Fairways (Driver 2) rarely change for me. Every few years. Irons change almost every round at this point and wedges change once a year when I start playing again.

Irons are the same as last year, but everything else has been taking turns on the merry-go-round. Swapped out my hybrids this year for Cobra woods and have been very happy, and updated my driver as well from a Titleist 913.

Grips are next. Ordered a set of Golf Pride MCC Align for the fall project.

To me, tinkering is part of the fun.

44 years old and this is the first time I've ever completely overhauled. Treated myself. Bought new irons 14 years ago and an X Hot driver about 4 years ago to replace my point driver from '02.

Bought a Srixon 585 about 6 months ago, Limited Edition PTX Pro's 4-W, DBM Hogan Equalizer 56* and 60* and a Vokey SM6 52*. Then finished it if with a Strokelab #7 and a white Hogan bag.

Happy birthday and Father's Day to me! Lol

Love my wife to death and can't fault her at all, but she was about to take me to Lowe's to pick out a new grill, I talked her into the above revamp!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

When something works, I'll stick with it for at least a couple seasons.

But that doesn't mean that I won't pick up a club here and there to test against my present stuff. Close doesn't equal change, a challenger must knock the bag champ out.

When that happens, I change. My usual though is at least 2 seasons for something that makes the bag, can't really remember quick changing anything over the last decade.

Irons are always the most consistent in the bag.. I'd be willing to bet I change putters at least 3 or 4 times a year. The driver changes about twice a year. Hybrids and Fairway woods about the same.

Irons and driver probably have the longest shelf life, because they're the most expensive to replace. In general, I try not to replace anything hastily. I want to like what I'm buying more than I feel like I'm not getting along with what I'm currently gaming. Right now my driver is on the block, after gaming it for about 2 years and having bought it used.

I think putter is the only spot where my eye is in perpetual wander mode. Surely there's something cool out there I've never tried before, and once I do, I'll be a birdie machine.

I only keep my putter this year. Switched out Cobra King LTD Black to F9 not really longer, but straighter, Tour Edge EX10 3W to CBX 119 4W, Apex CF16 3-pw to Apex 3h, 4h Fourteen TC-788 5-PW, Cleveland wedges to Fourteen 51, 57. I hope these will last about 3-4 years.

On average, probably every 2-3 years the whole bag is through rotation. Already this year I have replaced driver from last year and it’s now for sale/trade. Putter is next on list once I have saved up enough. Irons/wedges are ok for now although there is some new stuff I would like to try out but I resist because if they’re significantly better than current, I’d go crazy waiting to fund. At this time my wife needs a full bag refresh so she’ll probably come first.

Historically driver and wedges are the most at risk clubs in my bag, putters often get tested, but rarely replaced permanently. Wedges usually last at least a year, irons would normally last longer.

I don’t see much changing in my bag this year or next though. I’m pretty content with my entire bag. My bag is at risk though, I’m long pondering a new carry bag, but that’s not going to happen soon unless I find one for a steal.

dazeedmonds;n8879710 said:
Historically driver and wedges are the most at risk clubs in my bag, putters often get tested, but rarely replaced permanently. Wedges usually last at least a year, irons would normally last longer.

I don’t see much changing in my bag this year or next though. I’m pretty content with my entire bag. My bag is at risk though, I’m long pondering a new carry bag, but that’s not going to happen soon unless I find one for a steal.

If you are looking for a Callaway bag, Budget Golf has a number of them on closeout right now and I believe the 15% coupon works on them on top of it.

I'd say that I've changed out my putter the most of anything, which still isn't that often. On my fourth in four years, but have really enjoyed my EXO Indy the most, as it has been "the one" for the past 15 months.

Perhaps this thread is directed at me haha. I change my signature all the time because I'm always trying new stuff; and yes....like JB I love golf equipment.

JB;n8879536 said:
This is really similar to me and I am not even sure I noticed it until reading your post. Hybrids and Fairways (Driver 2) rarely change for me. Every few years. Irons change almost every round at this point and wedges change once a year when I start playing again.

For me once I get comfortable, especially with that higher lofted fairway/hybrid spot, it's really hard for those clubs to come out. Irons I find that if I keep my "usual"/fitted set in the bag there's a comfort level, but I feel like there's less of a drop off than the other spots in the bag as long as I'm not straying too far away in terms of weight/shaft/etc. I'm so Jeckyll and Hyde with a fairway wood that once I find one that fits it just stays in the bag and there's zero pondering there.

Reactions: JB
AnthonyC;n8879716 said:
Perhaps this thread is directed at me haha. I change my signature all the time because I'm always trying new stuff; and yes....like JB I love golf equipment.

You are definitely not alone haha

I change everything all the time. It's a hobby and I love to experiment. I'd get extremely bored playing the same clubs year after year. I rotate putters most frequently, probably every 1-2 rounds. I own quite a few of them and just like to use something different all the time. Least rotated would be my wedges. I've actually had this set in the bag for maybe 1.5 years. I already have the replacements ready to swap in but they are the exact same wedges just brand new. I'm very comfortable with them but certainly understand the necessity to have fresh grooves so they'd never be in for more than 2 seasons max.

Driver changed last year, previous change was in 2013.
Fairways changed this year, previous change was 2010.
Irons changed two years ago, previous was 2009.
Wedges changed this year, previous was way too long ago (maybe 2010?).
Putter changed 2015 I think, previous was 2006-ish.

I am a perpetual driver buying machine. I have owned every new release from TaylorMade, Ping, Cobra, Titleist, and Callaway this year. Probably the reason why hitting a driver consistently has become my biggest issue over the last year.

Usually Driver & Wedges every year. Irons every one or two years. 3 Fwy when liked could be in the bag the longest. Sometimes 3-5 years. This Epic Flash SZ is heading down that road. Putter is the most frequent. Could be round to round if it performs poorly. We all know it’s not me. Currently the Palm Beach has continued to earn it’s spot and will
continues to reign supreme!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could afford to play with the latest and greatest every year. I have new irons and wedges on order for the first time in 5-6 years. My driver and hybrids are about 9 years old, so I'm planning on replacing those next year. I have a dog with an autoimmune disease that costs me about $350/month... and kids are expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using Game Golf for nearly 4 seasons.

I’ve had (22) different drivers. Sad part is I’ve had several more that I tried for 1 rd and deleted that really never stood a chance of making the bag.

1 - 3w

5 - 5w

2 - 7w

5 sets of hybrids (3h through 5h) some even a 2h and a 6h.

2 sets of irons

3 sets of wedges

1 chipper

5 putters

I'd rather spend on lessons than clubs!! About a year ago I did get new irons. My old ones were given to me and not fitted well. About 2 years ago I got a Ping G SF Tech 3 wood with a regular shaft. About a year later I upgraded to a Ping G head from Ebay for about $40. About 2 months ago I picked up an Alta 65 stiff shaft on Ebay, technically it's from a G400 but it's the same tip for my G head. That fits my swing much better now. I've gone from having to swing it gingerly and getting 210 yards, to being able to use my normal swing and putting it out there 245 yards as an average on Shot Scope.

That's my most recent bag change,
Whiskey

I like to try new clubs. I change my Driver the most often even though nothing happens when I do it. I definitely change my putter the very least. I went 18 years without a putter change before I got a Ben Hogan BHB02. I love irons the most, nothing in a store like a beautiful shiny new set of irons to hit my lust buttons.

Before I found THP I did not put much stock in equipment making a difference in my game. That was true to an extent because I did not play much and have always been inconsistent. I am approaching the two year mark of my return to golf and THP and I am playing and practicing more which takes its toll on the equipment. I received my original PTx at the 2018 Ben Hogan Iron Experience and they would be staying in the bag for 2020 if I was not going to the Grandaddy. I did not play hybrids before this year but I like my Honma TW-747 so much they would be safe next year as well. The TEE EX-10 Beta 3 wood was new this year but a couple year old tech, this club has become a great option from the tee so it would be safe next year as well. It has a shallow face and I hit it from all kinds of lies so it gets beat up with some marks but I do not care enough to swap it out. I love the Odyssey 7 shape so I would not change putters either.

That brings us to the driver. I have had five different clubs all from 2017 or newer. The tee shot is where I struggle the most so I am always looking for a club that can tame my wild tendencies and find the fairway. It has been fun to try all of these clubs and see how each is different but it all comes down to me and my swing not the club. I am getting a full bag of custom fit clubs at the Grandaddy. This will be my first set that will be made especially for me and I know they will be with me for quite a while. The hybrids and woods will be evaluated before 2021 to see if they are beat up or a new release threatens them. The irons will be good for 2-3 years and the putter is not something I want to change out if I am putting well with it.

My fairway woods and hybrids have been pretty much unchanged for the last couple of seasons. Apex hybrid was added at the 2015 Grandaddy and remains in play. Steelhead XR 3 wood was late summer of 2017 with a HW that followed shortly after that. All of those are still around but I think are still safe. Wedges and Driver are venerable. LOVE LOVE LOVE my New Levels, but been messing with a Hi-Toe 60 and could easily slide in the 54 me thinks. Driver, man I just want something newer than the 917d2 I have haha

I haven't changed hardly anything since the Grandaddy, put an Epic Rogue Driver in the bag, but I am definitely interested in looking at some of the newer offerings soon. I have finally found the golf "Bug" again and am excited to hit some new stuff.

Back