I'm buying a full set of new clubs in the coming weeks

chrislewis7

Reaction score
Handicap
I've played golf intermittently for 30 years depending on where I'm living, work commitments and opportunity in general. Not playing regularly I've never felt it worth spending money on new clubs, what I've had have served me well. My current bag all bought off the shelf with stock regular flex shafts is:

Ping G15 driver. 10.5 degrees
Callaway XR16 3 wood
Taylormade Rescue mid 16 degrees
Callaway X-16 3 to sand irons
Cleveland Reg 588 60 degrees
Taylormade Spider Tour Platinum putter (bought this year so will stay in my main bag)

I'm now living in Bangkok and playing two or three times a week so it's time to leave my old clubs in the UK for the few rounds a year I play over there and invest some money. I've started this thread which I will add to over the next month or so to chart the journey; maybe it will help others in the same boat.

I currently play off 20 but I feel my clubs especially lack of hybrids is costing me a few shots a round. In fact I have little confidence hitting any of my clubs longer than the 5 iron off the fairway so I can't reach greens when I'm outside of 170 yards. Add in the age of my clubs and that they weren't fitted and I'm cautiously optimistic that this will help me lower my handicap.

At the beginning of this process I had not hit any other clubs other than my own. I know many people regularly go into the pro shop and try new clubs out when they come in, I haven't, so I have not hit any clubs any newer than what I have. I'm really coming to this very cold. As you can imagine I've been reading a lot of articles and watching a lot of YouTube videos.

Any advice, things to look out for, mistakes to avoid would be gratefully received.

My current average club distances courtesy of Shot Scope 2 are:

Club distances - small.jpg

Observations:
The 3-wood distance is exclusively off the tee.
I actually hit my 9-iron about 130, but this is my go to club and I'm often hitting it with less than a full swing.
I know I really need a gap wedge.

A few weeks ago I went for a fitting at the Titleist National Fitting Centre, Thailand at Thana City. Golf clubs are far, far more expensive in Thailand than in the UK so I have no intention in buying until my trip to the UK at the beginning of September but I want to do a couple of 'research' fittings over here first. These will give me confidence in the whole fitting process (as long at they come up with similar results) and hopefully mean I'm more prepared when I do my actual fitting.

I'm really glad I did my Titleist fitting, I learnt a lot.

1. Even though my swing wasn't at its best on the day it is obvious a new set of clubs will perform better than my existing clubs both in terms of distance and consistency.
2. Hybrids. Whoa. From the off I was hitting the 818 H1 (21 degree) well over 180 yards. After trying a few different shafts and adjusting the hosel I was consistently hitting a 180 yard carry and 200 yard total.
3. It is amazing how small changes to the shaft make big differences to the feel of the club and my ability to hit good shots. With the TS2 10.5 driver there were shafts where I had 4 bad strikes in a row, other shafts where I had 4 good ones. The thing that amazed me most was the effect taking 0.5in off the shaft length had; it seemed to make the club so much easier to hit.

This session completely sold me on the idea of club fitting. Here are the specifications we ended up with, although as I said I am not buying anything until my full multi-brand fitting in the UK in September.

The summary below details the cub specifications recommended during your fitting:

718 AP1 (5 - W48) THB 36,400, £976, $1,181
Dexterity: LH
Loft: Standard Loft
Lie Angle: Standard Lie
Length: Standard
Shaft (Flex): Mitsubishi Kuro
Kage TiNi 85 (Regular)
Grip (Size): Standard (Standard)
Comments: Grip size std/+2 wraps

818 H1 (21 degree) THB 8,185, £220, $265
SureFit Hosel Setting: A-1
SureFit CG Setting: Neutral
SureFit Weight: 14 g
Length: Standard
Shaft (Flex): Fujikura ATMOS HB
Tour Spec Red 75 (Stiff)

TS2 (10.5 degree) THB 19,280, £517, $625
SureFit Hosel Setting: D-4
SureFit Weight: +2 g
Length: -0.5"
Shaft (Flex): Mitsubishi Tensei
AV Series Blue 55 (Regular)

I've put the prices quoted alongside to show just how expensive clubs are here in Thailand.

chrislewis7;n8881511 said:
My current average club distances courtesy of Shot Scope 2 are:

Observations:
The 3-wood distance is exclusively off the tee.
I actually hit my 9-iron about 130, but this is my go to club and I'm often hitting it with less than a full swing.
I know I really need a gap wedge.

I'd be dropping that 3 and 4 iron, go with another 4 hybrid or 5 wood there, depending on your gaps. And yes get a gap wedge too.

Agreed, there is no reason for either 3i or 4i. From the info provided I'd drop both of those and the 6 hybrid and (maybe) the 3W too. With the 3 (or 4) extra slots I think you should definately get a GW, also get that 818 H1 you hit 200 and another hybrid you hit around 180. If you do choose to drop the 3W too find another hybrid or higher lofted wood you can hit about 215 off the deck.
----edit
Nevermind, I see you are getting a complete new set. You know you have gapping issues from 160 ish up with your current set which is good info to know going in. Just don't make a similar mistake with the new set and make sure your fitter gaps your new set to cover all your gaps.

Get a fitting. Try not to fall in love with a brand before the fitting. IMO, the shaft fitting is key. The stats you put up are irrelevant without a fitting.

I had a $1,000 gift certificate for a club fitting and clubs 15 years ago. Had been playing golf for 30 years at that time. During the fitting, the fitter told me to invest in lessons. He would not feel good about selling me clubs. He has been my instructor ever since. 3 fittings since. Lowered my average score to high 90's to mid to high 80's.

All the other advice you will read is not important without seeing your swing.

Thanks all. The clubs I have are old. The X16s were bought in 2004 back before hybrids were in common use and when sets came with a 3 and 4 iron as standard. To be honest I used to hit the 3 and 4 quite well, but in the last few years I haven't.

I will put myself completely in the fitter's hands and I'm definitely not wedded to to any particular brand. I'm expecting that I will initially go with 12 clubs in my bag. D, H3, H4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW, P. I have never had much success with fairway woods and I plan to bed the new clubs in first, understand my distances and then decide on fairway woods and maybe a lob wedge. Although with what I read about jacked up lofts and distances I may need the extra wedge sooner rather than later.

I have another 'research' fitting tomorrow here in Bangkok trialing the Ping G410 range and maybe some others.

I have booked my actual fitting from which I will order my clubs for Friday 30th August at the Left Handed Golf Centre at Silvermere in Surrey UK. Being left-handed I feel quite ignored looking at the stock in most shops but they appear to stock a very wide range of clubs across all the big manufacturers.

Looking at your distances you need to get rid of the 3 iron. If it averages the same as your 4 iron then it's too inconsistent to keep. You definitely need some variety in the bottom of your bag. I would add at least another wedge.

Back