best rangefinder???

jfrigo1003

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for your guys opinions on rangefinders... what do you like? what don't you like? price doesnt matter to me. Its not a breaking point for me but I'm leaning towards something with a red display. Right now if I had to just go buy something id go with the Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized. Ive only ever played with people who use Bushnell but I've found it hard to get an accurate reading without shooting the pin 5 times

Or on budget golf with the promo code id get the Golf Buddy Aim L10

I have had a Leupold for 7+ years (same unit) and if I ever need to replace it I will look at another Leupold. There are cheaper options, but the quality and customer service are 2nd to none IMHO.

Every brands range finder is good, works well. I find the small ones most convenient and really like my Nikon Coolshot 20.

I'll be watching this thread closely for input. I'm thinking of picking up a rangefinder and have a choice to make. Current front runners are the Garmin Z80, Leupold (any), Bushnell XE, and Nikon Coolshot Pro.

i had a thread about this recently. i went with the leupold. pga tour superstore was running a really good deal. i went there and did some very basic testing with the nikon, bushnell, and leupold. i didn't like the nikon display at all. it was pretty neck-and-neck between bushnell and leupold, but i went with leupold because of size. i've been really happy with it.

mancest;n8881729 said:
I have had a Leupold for 7+ years (same unit) and if I ever need to replace it I will look at another Leupold. There are cheaper options, but the quality and customer service are 2nd to none IMHO.

Lock it up this is the correct answer. I have had mine for going on 3 seasons and love it. Great clear optics, and smallish. I have small hands and have no issues.

Snickerdog;n8881845 said:
Lock it up this is the correct answer. I have had mine for going on 3 seasons and love it. Great clear optics, and smallish. I have small hands and have no issues.

Trying to read reviews in other places and a lot have said Leupold has basically put out the same features for years now. Granted I dunno how much newer technology any rangefinder can have but it seems Leupold has mixed reviews. Some say they're the best by far and others have complained about their customer service.

Ive always been curious about them too. When I test them in stores it seems the display is very dark. I like the red display but the overall optics seem very dim

jfrigo1003;n8881857 said:
Trying to read reviews in other places and a lot have said Leupold has basically put out the same features for years now. Granted I dunno how much newer technology any rangefinder can have but it seems Leupold has mixed reviews. Some say they're the best by far and others have complained about their customer service.

Ive always been curious about them too. When I test them in stores it seems the display is very dark. I like the red display but the overall optics seem very dim

Guy I play with regularly has a Busnell, we can both be sitting in the cart and I can grab a pin a lot faster than he can. You can adjust the lens on the Leupold by twisting left or right to help set it to your vision. If the store will let you, walk outside with a saleman/woman and try it that way. I think you will notice a difference.
I can't comment on the customer service as I have never had an issues with mine that I had to call them.

Snickerdog;n8881865 said:
Guy I play with regularly has a Busnell, we can both be sitting in the cart and I can grab a pin a lot faster than he can. You can adjust the lens on the Leupold by twisting left or right to help set it to your vision. If the store will let you, walk outside with a saleman/woman and try it that way. I think you will notice a difference.
I can't comment on the customer service as I have never had an issues with mine that I had to call them.

Yeah, I have never had an issue with mine since getting it early 2012, but I bought it after getting recommendations from friends that had experience with their scopes and how good the CS was.

The display is great for me, but others may differ.

Precision Pro NX7 Pro Slope is a very good rangefinder, and well worth looking at before jumping on one of the bigger name units. Reviews can be found here on THP and elsewhere, and rare to find any negatives.

I was in this same dilemma. And knowing Bushnell & Leupold rangefinders are always top 2 in everyone's list I went on ebay and bought me a few. Bought a Bushnell v3, Buchnell z6, and a Leupold gx3i.

All 3 locked onto pins with ease. One did not seem quicker than the other.

Bushnell v3 - I did not like the plastic housing nor the black lcd display (especially once you use a red display)

The z6 & gx3i - I liked both equally for their smaller form factor, metal housing, & red display. They are very similar. But I preferred the feel of the Leupold. And I like the scan function on the Leupold (hold the button down and it constantly updates yardage as you pan around.) The 2 Bushnell's were put back on ebay for sale.

I've had the Leupold for 1.5 years and I'm still on the same battery.

My $.02

DG_1234;n8881740 said:
Every brands range finder is good, works well. I find the small ones most convenient and really like my Nikon Coolshot 20.

Just bought one of these, glad to see someone really likes it!

I have a Bushnell V3 that I've had for a few years now and still going strong, just wish it had slope.

maxw72;n8882000 said:
Just bought one of these, glad to see someone really likes it!

I like the Coolshot 20's size and I do make good use of its case/belt holster. In addition , I wear a Garmin S20 GPS watch.
So, on the course the watch is used for especially long yardage shots, for blind shots, to learn front edge or back edge yardages etc...The Nikon laser is used for shots from about 50 to 200 yards, and also to identify lay up targets off of tee boxes.

DG_1234;n8882004 said:
I like the Coolshot 20's size and I do make good use of its case/belt holster. In addition , I wear a Garmin S20 GPS watch.
So, on the course the watch is used for especially long yardage shots, for blind shots, to learn front edge or back edge yardages etc...The Nikon laser is used for shots from about 50 to 200 yards, and also to identify lay up targets off of tee boxes.

does that one have slope?

jfrigo1003;n8882035 said:
does that one have slope?

No slope, nothing fancy. Just a basic small size laser.

We would have to second any of the Precision Pro rangefinders. We are a big fan of our new NX9 HD Slope ($329.99) with its built-in magnet and 7x magnification but it's unfortunately on backorder. We also love the NX7 Pro Slope ($269) or NX7 ($219). All of our products come with a 90 day money back guarantee, 2 year warranty (with some of the best CS in the biz) and free batteries. Plus all THP members can save $20 by using the code HACKERS at checkout.

Precision Pro Golf;n8882056 said:
We would have to second any of the Precision Pro rangefinders. We are a big fan of our new NX9 HD Slope ($329.99) with its built-in magnet and 7x magnification but it's unfortunately on backorder. We also love the NX7 Pro Slope ($269) or NX7 ($219). All of our products come with a 90 day money back guarantee, 2 year warranty (with some of the best CS in the biz) and free batteries. Plus all THP members can save $20 by using the code HACKERS at checkout.

Back order huh? The buying public must love it! Any idea when it may come off of backorder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precision Pro Golf;n8882056 said:

I like my NX7 Pro. Occasionally, I will get a questionable reading and and will get a correct reading when I try again. When that happens, the first reading is usually 20 yds or more under the real distance. Could be user error. Only been using it for a couple weeks.

Not an expert because I've only owned one rangefinder. But I've have looked through many others my buddies have owned. Maybe Leupolds look dim in artificial lighting, don't know, never looked through mine inside a store. Outside I find the optics to be especially clear and bright. I sometimes had issues locking on flags quickly when I'd borrowed a buddies. Not the case with my Leupold GX4i2, it always find my distances quickly.

I just ordered a bushnell V4 slope. Needed something smaller and accurate.

If you have a hard time holding still to pick up a flag, the Nikon Coolshot Pro image stabilizer is the only way to go and well worth the $450. If you have steady hands and can afford it, Leupold or Leica have the best optics and best customer service. Leupold is also the only rangefinder that works in foggy conditons. I currently own 3 Leupolds and 2 Nikons and have never had any issues with any of them. The one Nikon is 18 or 19 years old and picks up flags from 200+ yards with ease. I've owned 3 Bushnells, two of which failed a few months out of warranty and I had a terrible experience with their customer service. Both were thrown in the trash. The other one had a lousy eye cup for me and I sold it to a buddy.

Bushnell Hybrid with range finder and GPS built in, the best of both worlds.....no slope

Last edited:
maxw72;n8882223 said:
I haven't received mine yet, but to my knowledge it does not.

Slope function is illegal if you're going to record the round for handicap purposes so to me and most of my buddies slope would be of no use.

Back