Plain wood tees or "performance" tees?

Wood tees typically, but adding in the performance tees as I get them until the wood tees run out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am another THP Epoch tees diehard.

I use wood but break 1 on nearly every drive. Maybe I should try plastic...

I use Maxfly performance tees. Man those things last forever. I found one 2 years ago on a tee box and had to buy some. I’ve been on the same box for over two years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I now have 2 golf bags with pockets chock full of every kind of tee on Earth. I just use what I find. I like the plastic because they last till you lose them (and then I find them LOL!l, but this past 2 or 3 weeks in Louisville it has been baked out and I have found they are not stout enough to stick into the baked out dry turf so I have been using wood.

I’ve used Epoch tees since @jb introduced me to them many moons ago. My club gives them away.

I mix & match. There’s plastic & wood tees in my bag, I just whatever I take out.

Performance tees. For the driver, I use 4 Yards More. This way getting the tee height is automatic, easily cradles the ball on top, and ball go far. For iron/hybrids off the tee, I use a biodegradable composite tee. I can go 50-75 rounds with either one of these tees.
4 Yards More.jpg

I was given a bag of Martini tees when I first started golfing and have used them ever since. Two years and I have only lost 1.

I use painted wood because I like to have a mark/streak on the club to see exactly where/how I hit it.

I use basic bulk bought wooden tees on course. At the range I have one of those rubber tee holder things that fit in the hole in the mat, so I use plastic tees there. Holder will break a wood tee every time. That can get expensive.

I use Pride Evolution plastic tees (white w/black stripes).

The plastic tees last for a large number of uses and the markings allow for repeatable, consistent tee height.

Plus, my club provides them so I better get my monthly dues worth.

I used THP tees for awhile but still broke them more often than I thought I should (still way less than wooden tees). I've since switched to champ zarma and I think I've only ever broken 2 in 3+ years. They're still not perfect as they tend to bruise and soften and thus need to be straightened out once in awhile. Also, the teeth seem to bend and break and ball won't always easily sit atop it. Still damn good tee overall.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

leftshot;n8882398 said:
Performance tees. For the driver, I use 4 Yards More. This way getting the tee height is automatic, easily cradles the ball on top, and ball go far. For iron/hybrids off the tee, I use a biodegradable composite tee. I can go 50-75 rounds with either one of these tees.

I also use the 4 Yards more tee for driver and also for irons and hybrids. But I like the stubby orange Frogger tees for irons also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Epoch tee for me. I’ve got a handful and easily go several rounds with one tee before I lose it.

A generic version of the Epoch tees (maybe the Pride Evolution) are free at my club so I use those. My previous club provided wood tees which I prefer so I havenÂ’t bought any tees in over a decade.

Last edited:
scott.french3;n8882051 said:
I've always used the traditional wood tees. Am I missing out on using any of the new plastic tees? Or is it just another way to spend more money?

Not missing out on anything - the plastic tees do last longer, but no performance benefits. If the ground is hard, the plastic ones are difficult to get into the ground without bending. Good to at least have a few wood ones on hand for that reason.

Epoch tees for me.

scott.french3;n8882051 said:
I've always used the traditional wood tees. Am I missing out on using any of the new plastic tees? Or is it just another way to spend more money?

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

For me, it's the epoch tee (THP logo preferred) as it's what I've used for years now. The durability is there which is probably the most important thing to me. Putting one tall and one short tee on my pocket on the first tee and not worrying about it for the round is such a functional solution for me.

As far as price? They last forever. One 8 dollar purchase at the start of the year is more than likely going to last all season long. I'm not sweating on a purchase that costs me less than two water balls haha

Just use the normal wood tees. I don't like the plastic ones because if I can't find them, I feel like I'm littering. So at least when I top my tee shot on a par 3 and the tee digs into the ground to the point of needing a excavator to get it out, at least it's wood and somewhat biodegradable

OverPar247365;n8882659 said:
Just use the normal wood tees. I don't like the plastic ones because if I can't find them, I feel like I'm littering. So at least when I top my tee shot on a par 3 and the tee digs into the ground to the point of needing a excavator to get it out, at least it's wood and somewhat biodegradable

Agreed on all accounts!

Back