Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth & Glide 3.0 Hydrophobic coating?

Reaction score
Handicap
I saw the TXG ping glide 3.0 review that showed how much more spin the ping glide 3.0 (and apparently the 2.0 stealth- maybe i'm wrong there) get EVEN when the ball and club are wet (which is about 90% of the time in the spring and fall in Kentucky Bluegrass rough playing before noon) I also dig the cavity back design of the glide.

It was mentioned as a hydrophobic coating- then I've seen its the actual steel used is hydrophobic- then I've read that its the plating. So my query is... is this something that wears off these wedges? and how long does that take (approximately of course)? I've been getting extremely unpredictable spin results with my current old school forged wedges- my discontinued use of the straight flying surlyn balls has improved this a good bit. (ball reviews need to show the difference those things have around the greens) but id still like to not be shocked when a ball releases from the fairway on not greens that arent hard.

Does the 2.0 stealth have this hydrophobic wet wedge stopping power? Is it only the 3? Do I need to buy brand new and only expect it to last a season or two? Or what?

Thanks!

i saw the video too and it was pretty bonkers. my first thought was the same as yours: does it wear off? hit 200 shots and re-do the test. that would be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you havent seen the review- check this out

People keep sending me this link http://www.golfwrx.com/422424/ping-glide-2-0-wedges-what-you-need-to-know/ in my messages- Yes I've seen this.

TXG and other places on the internet (including here) keep saying the stealth and 3.0 are better than the 2.0. Ive even seen a few "i dont know why but its just better" comments. I've found that the Ping Stealth is 8620 carbon steel while the 2,0 and 3.0 are cast from 431 stainless (explains the feel of the stealth being better) but the 2.0 and 3.0 have the supposedly hydrophobic pearl finish. Where its the actual finish theyre alluding repels water (along with the grooves and the different grooves on the different clubs- which all manufacturers seem to be doing- the 58 degree and other lob style wedges are supposed to have more spin on around the green shots (but TXG was testing full swings on the 58 with the dude hitting like 100+ yard shots- so it definitely spins well on full shots still- even though its grooves are designed to spin more on open face and shorter shots- id say he was getting plenty on full shots with the 58

Maybe the stealth has a hydrophobic coating?

Back