Why is Clean Attractive?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me explain. The clean look of blades. The simple look of plain irons. It’s borderline aspirational and described as “sexy”, etc. Yet with Woods we look for high tech and visual technology. With apparel and footwear people are drawn to items with more logos than less.

What is it about the iron that cherishes plain?

Maybe the "clean" look makes the club look sleek and lean with a design focused on pure effectiveness.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Like a gun fighter in the Wild West, the forged blade golfer is a statement. You don’t want none of this, bro!!

Uncomplicated is usually good looking, whether it's cars or clothes or clubs. I'd say it goes double for golf clubs, where it's probably easier to associate certain club aesthetics with denoting a certain skill level on top of its clean looks.

I am not really a fan of the word clean to describe a golf club that is going to hit a ball hard and hit the turf repeatedly. But I do like clubs (irons, wedges, woods) that do not have much visual distraction at address. Reasonably thin top lines without a significant amount of offset or reflective chrome is what I look for in irons and wedges and no visible graphics other than an understated alignment aid is what I look for on the tops of wood crowns. The cavaties of irons and wedges and the soles of woods don't bother me if they are a little busy since I don't see them at address.

JB;n8882418 said:
Let me explain. The clean look of blades. The simple look of plain irons. It’s borderline aspirational and described as “sexy”, etc. Yet with Woods we look for high tech and visual technology. With apparel and footwear people are drawn to items with more logos than less.

What is it about the iron that cherishes plain?

I think it depends on the iron, honestly.

I look at the Epic Forged irons and find them VERY clean!

Irons may just be the easier to design clean than other clubs. Personally, I prefer clean woods as well -- hiding a ton of tech in a clean shell is badass, but alas, more difficult to do than in irons.

What I don't get is garish iron badges that could easily be simply left off for a much better look at no extra cost. Looking at you, Cobra F9s with your faux-racecar badges.

I think it comes down to how it looks to the eye. If it has less, backing to it then it makes it "clean" and appealing. If it looks good in the bag people will want to see it or wonder what it is.

It's like the lines of a good looking car to me. The cleaner lines of a nice blade are just nicer to look at and more aesthetically pleasing.

I think people have seen where colorful badges and other decorations have fallen off the back of iron heads.
Also a thick top line on an iron head has a clunky appearance , a look which does not inspire graceful swings.

Because the irons are metal. There’s something about metal products that people are drawn to simple and clean.

Maybe im in the minority but I prefer clean, understated styling in irons, woods, clothes, cars, women, etc. Flashy and garish isn't my thing. To me it comes across as tacky and gimmicky.

It just is. /thread. :D

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m not sure, but I like everything to look clean. I don’t need a ton of “visible tech” in any club or logos/designs on my clothing.

I like the idea of the filled hollow body iron design, but want the outside pretty plain looking. I could definitely do without the screws on the back of my PXG irons.

I dont know why clean is so attractive, it just is. To me a clean design just shouts "precise, purpose driven, no BS".

A "clean" blade is like a precision instrument. Like a scalpel is clean and sharp whereas you want something high-tech on a driver to get the most distance with precision secondary.

It depends on the clubhead. Personally, I prefer a simple looking head over the busier designs. There are certain heads , Hogans, Mizuno to me they just instill a confidence that the head will perform.

The clean lines help me with alignment and minimize distractions during set up.

Actually, I prefer a nice 'clean' driver look, as opposed to a transformer. I honestly just don't like visual distractions on any club.

~Rock

McRock;n8882819 said:
Actually, I prefer a nice 'clean' driver look, as opposed to a transformer. I honestly just don't like visual distractions on any club.

~Rock
This.. minimal distraction, focus on the ball/shot. Even for clothes, a small simple logo is enough for me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Something about simple and clean is attractive. Why? I don't know exactly. Tech can be attractive too but something about clean lines and smooth edges screams sexy. Maybe we see it like a good sports car?

Clean .... aesthetically pleasing to the eye, sleek looking, thin top line, nothing seen on the back of the club at address.

Not Clean

clevelandirons.jpg

Clean

620forged.jpg

I believe that a clean look of an iron is traditional and is an iron that a better player would use. I'll admit that Im attracted to a clean, classic look in an iron; even if its not the best iron for my game.

Count me among those that don't gravitate toward a blade, per se. I think a CB, or even a hollow SGI/UGI club can have a clean look. Applied to woods, wedges, and putters too.

For me the appeal of clean is - and I admit, it's subjective - no visual distractions at address. Points lost for expanses of gaudy colors or graphics. If there's a functional reason for some of the busyness, I can accept that.

I think that the Apex line is a consistently good example of what I consider a clean look.

BlkNGld;n8883771 said:
Count me among those that don't gravitate toward a blade, per se. I think a CB, or even a hollow SGI/UGI club can have a clean look. Applied to woods, wedges, and putters too.

For me the appeal of clean is - and I admit, it's subjective - no visual distractions at address. Points lost for expanses of gaudy colors or graphics. If there's a functional reason for some of the busyness, I can accept that.

I think that the Apex line is a consistently good example of what I consider a clean look.

None of those items in the cavity can be seen at address though, right?

Back