Why is Clean Attractive?

JB;n8882418 said:
Let me explain. The clean look of blades. The simple look of plain irons. It’s borderline aspirational and described as “sexy”, etc. Yet with Woods we look for high tech and visual technology. With apparel and footwear people are drawn to items with more logos than less.

What is it about the iron that cherishes plain?

I think its different for everyone honestly. I like simple in most everything golf related. Divers I am not in to flashy/techy stuff I can see. I don't mind aerodynamic stuff on the crown as long as its not accented with colors etc. Keep it matte black and plain for me. I am the same with apparel and footwear. Give me a basic white, black, or grey shoe with maybe a splash/hint of color. Plain khakis, black, khaki, grey, etc shorts, and a solid color polo(usually darker colors but some light blues and greens work) and I am happy. The only thing I really like a little more in for some reason is hats. I am not talking about flashy multicolored scream in your face stuff but give me something with an interesting color that just stands out or is different. Logos mean nothing to me with the exception of hats. I am more likely to wear a hat with a logo of a company I like then something that either has no logo or of a company I have no interest in.

I would imagine the type of person who gravitates towards "clean" looking "players" irons is also the kind of person to NOT go for the big logo placements on their apparel or other choices. I am one of those who does not like ostentatious clothing design and prefers understated logos. However, I am not skilled enough to confidently wield a players iron (im looking at you Ben Hogan Ft Worth...)

Are there any game improvement irons that offer similarly understated designs? Only one I can think of is the Srixon Z565 series.

Having been a rep in the sneaker industry I have used the word clean to describe shoes that just flow from toe to heel. Same for cars, clubs and even a good haircut. Its a you know it when you see it kind of thing.

It’s the simplicity for me. Visually looking down at any club it can get cluttered. Same with clothing, apparel, if it’s overwhelming to m eye I try to steer clear of it. Maybe I’m just old school in that way.

That's a really good question that I have no answer to. Maybe it's because it makes us think of old school equipment and how simple the clubs used to be. For some reason a simple iron just looks good.

Clean is attractive because it is one less thing to worry about in your head while playing this difficult game

We want sexy blades because we think that we're better than we really are.

JB;n8883773 said:
None of those items in the cavity can be seen at address though, right?

Correct. And the same holds for woods and hybrids that have stuff going on on the soles of the club that aren't visible at address.

If I turned over my clubs more often, or were in the unlikely position of having a club deal I'd probably be more open, but in general I tend to hang onto stuff for a while and gravitate toward what I think it a classic look that will age well versus one that is very current but transient.

Back