Rank Current Irons (Top 3)

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Give a personal top 3 ranking for the current irons out right now. This can be based on desire, performance, perception, etc, but it has to be your ranking. Give a brief reason for each pick:

1. Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal: Obviously my favorites. They are in my bag, I had the 900's and I loved them too. For a slow swing speed player these really just come alive and give me plenty of pop and they fly high enough to stop on any green even with the 5 iron in hand.

2. Callaway Apex 2019: I have hit them several times at Golf Galaxy and I love the feel. They are also really good looking. They are a lusty item for me right now.

3. TaylorMade P790: I have several friends hitting these from a 2 capper to a 17 and they all love them. They look amazing and they launch the ball. I think they feel great as well, these might be the most well rounded iron on the market period.

1. CF19 for me, by a clear margin. These are my favorite irons I’ve ever played, hands down. I’m not wanting for feel, performance, or looks

2. Srixon 585. Takes the shape back closer to where the 545 is, with the improvements they made in the sole to the 565. Really great all around iron

3. Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro. Profile and performance is there, and the price point is a bit less than competitors.

I haven’t hit the Epic forged, which could potentially bump one of these out. As a bonus, I’ll include the Cobra F9 Speedback as the “iron I liked way more than I expected to”

1) Apex Pro 19. Compact, great feel, fast, high flight, just enough spin to work. Basically it's the performance I'd expect out of a GI iron in a package that's sexy to look at.
2) FG Tour V6. Best feel on the market, great launch for an iron the same size as a blade, affordable. No frills here, just a small iron that outkicks its coverage.
3) JPX 919 Tour. Has it all. Good looks, good feel, good price, good performance.

1. Srixon 785 - I am biased because they are in my bag but they are a perfect blend of a players iron with a little needed help. They look beautiful and they perform.

2. Mizuno HM Pro - Great set of irons that most golfers can play.

3. Callaway CF 19 - once again an iron for the majority of players that has the feel and touch that appeals to a lot of players.

I don't own any, just pondering, but just looking at web traffic it would almost have to be
-Apex + Pro These I have hit, I can see why
-P790
-Mizuno HM in all iterations. No Pro or Tour in lefty, I wanted to try the Pro so badly :( Hit the Forged, not for me.

A touch more under the radar, 585->785, they get almost universal praise as well, not as polarizing as either the TM or Cally it seems to me.

This is without regard to categories, so you could break this down a lot more and come up with a dozen more top results - Titleist, Cobra, etc.

cf19
p790
srixon 585

Apex CF19. I bought them, so they had to win, right?
919HM These were the runners up, and if not for the CF19s breaking the logjam, it would have been tough to choose between these.
919HMPro.

Back