Did you choose your Driver, or did your Driver choose you?

mtbloco

Grandaddy X!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With all the technology packed into the drivers and shafts today, it can seem daunting to the majority of golfers where to begin when choosing the right driver for them. THPers clearly understand the need to spend time with a launch meter and club fitter. However, there is always the question of where do you begin? How many of you were willing to walk into a fitting and truly give into the process and make decision based solely on data? Or did you let your personal preferences in style, sound, or label enter the process? Clearly any driver you want to drop coin on needs at some level be pleasing to your eyes, but is that a 10% or 50% influence on your ultimate decision? If looks/sound/brand are important, did you compensate for launch and spin data via shaft choice so that you fit into a head more pleasing to your eye?

I actually was fit for my current driver, the XR16, and still absolutely love it.

I guess my driver choose me as I won in a giveaway by Travis Fulton. It has worked out really well though. I also won a shaft from Pete Pappas that pairs really well with it so it was like I was fit for it.

Driver chose me. I had given zero thought to Mizuno and discounted them completely up until earlier this year. THP influenced that a lot, so I gave it a shot and I was blown away. The Mizuno ST190 is going to be in my bag for awhile.

i mean, i think it needs to be a combination of numbers and enjoyment. one of the best drivers i ever hit was a cobra max, with offset. i didn't like the look or feel, but the results were pretty damn good. that said, i'd never game it because i didn't love the look and feel.

my current driver was recommended to me not based on a fitting, but based on watching me hit balls and struggle with my gamer at that time. the person who made the recommendation is a professional fitter, and he looked at my numbers on the gc quad with the old driver. his recommendation was excellent, my driving has never been better.

Driver chose me. I wanted to get a used one and went to a local shop and that is what the staff thought would be good for me. Tried it out on their indoor range and liked it. Being a beginner, I have no idea what will be good for me, so will use it awhile until I get better and then I will be the one choosing a driver.

vdubtx;n8883413 said:
Driver chose me. I wanted to get a used one and went to a local shop and that is what the staff thought would be good for me. Tried it out on their indoor range and liked it. Being a beginner, I have no idea what will be good for me, so will use it awhile until I get better and then I will be the one choosing a driver.

I'm in the same boat. I borrowed an old driver from a friend, just so I can get somewhat comfortable swinging a driver before I try to get properly fit for one.

I was given my Callaway GBB Diablo Driver and 3 wood as a gift from my parents when I completed my Masters. So, it was chosen for me.

Nappy;n8883387 said:
Driver chose me. I had given zero thought to Mizuno and discounted them completely up until earlier this year. THP influenced that a lot, so I gave it a shot and I was blown away. The Mizuno ST190 is going to be in my bag for awhile.

Same here, all though I chose the driver. I had been playing with a Cobra F8+ for the last year and a half. Was at a local golf store a little over a month ago and just happened to pick up the Mizuno ST 190 of the rack. It came with a Kuro Kage Stiff shaft and felt so good in my hands, I bought it on the spot. I have to say that I've had no cause or reason to regret my decision.

Last edited:
I picked mine, but I've had multiple fittings so I have a good idea if a particular head/shaft will work for me before I buy.

I went with the many reviews here at THP and online to pick a driver. However, I also did test out different drivers on a launch monitor to make sure I was getting close to the best numbers I could produce

My Srixon picked me after last year’s Most Wanted. Working out really well. Don’t think I’ve hit a driver any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back