Tech Talk: Callaway Epic Forged Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We sat down with Dave Neville from Callaway Golf and broke down all of the technology in the new Epic Forged irons.

Suspended Tungsten?
Urethane Microspheres?
What does it all mean?

DNevs and Canadan go over all of that plus the unique looking finish.

sure wish i could hear it...

• Admin
jim54;n8883618 said:
sure wish i could hear it...

Sound is playing fine on our end. Checked directly here. On the home page player and the THP Mobile App.

No it's on my end, my laptop is going to the junkyard. Watched it on the phone and it is fine.

Very good info, I am excited to someday hit them...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Great video. Very informative. Amazing how they can pack that much tech into a head that is quite pleasing to the eye.

Reactions: JB
Very informative video. This iron is extremely intriguing to me.

Great video!!!!! Can't wait to hear him speak in Cali. Looking forward to hitting these again.

Superb video! The technology going into irons right now is impressive, so many elements combining to create an outcome.

Tenputt;n8884197 said:
Very informative video. This iron is extremely intriguing to me.

That is exactly what I said to myself after hearing Dnevs talk. They intrigue the heck out of me.

Really liked the Video and description of the entire Iron package.
Liked how DNevsCG said that they put these Iron between Apex and Big Bertha.
To me, that looks like the perfect spot to capture the widest audience and the golfer mostly likely have resources to purchase a set of Irons.
Callaway does their marketing research for sure.

These would probably be a tough go to bag as a full set for many, but the potential performance from the longer irons being used as utility irons should have everyone's attention.

I look forward to hopefully hitting these some time, my curiosity was piqued when doing the release article for sure.

The thing that I like about the technology and why I am so intrigued is because I am wanting to do anything I can to keep playing the same length golf courses I have traditionally played, while also maintaining a mid single digit index or lower. I am going to turn 59 in December and I know that I cannot maintain the same ball speed as I continue to become more “experienced,” shall we say. If there is an iron that essentially turns back the clock for me, giving me a club more, while being just as easy to hit (and also maintaining an acceptable visual profile), it sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

I have hit this iron inside on a launch monitor and the spin was as low as anything I have hit. I also have hit it outside on a course and it stops every bit as well as what I have had in my bag. If the distances are consistent, this is incredible for anybody like me.

Jman;n8884790 said:
I look forward to hopefully hitting these some time, my curiosity was piqued when doing the release article for sure.

The long irons are on their way to you.

JB;n8885340 said:
The long irons are on their way to you.

Let’s get it!

I think these are the clubs that most will be intrigued by potentially in supplementing a set, so it should be pretty fun.

I think this is the first I've been excited about a set of irons from Callaway for a long time. Just seems to check most of the boxes for me, however, can I convince my wife I need them? :bulgy-eyes:

Nappy;n8885404 said:
I think this is the first I've been excited about a set of irons from Callaway for a long time. Just seems to check most of the boxes for me, however, can I convince my wife I need them? :bulgy-eyes:

Ha ha. “Need” them. Do that and you are a super salesman.

Little evening bump for a cool video.

This is a quote from Scott Manwaring (sp?), Callaway’s director of iron design:

“”You can say it’s a 3-iron based on the specs, but when we see average golfers hit these clubs, the quality of the shot and the potential for miss is actually closer to their 5-iron. It’s amazing that people still hit that 5-iron that well, but we’ve done all these technology enhancements and that lets them hit it better than they hit their 3-iron. So they start to associate it as a 5-iron because that’s the quality of shot they’ve seen with their 5-iron.””

It is the direct response to those who argue simply “jacked lofts.” If I can get the distance of a 6 iron out of my 8 iron, but the quality of my shots remains equivalent to my 8 iron, now l really have something that will help my game.

Isn’t that how people should be thinking, if they dig past the surface?

great video! i’m really hoping some of our grandaddy guys get to test these at ecpc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8886231 said:
great video! i’m really hoping some of our grandaddy guys get to test these at ecpc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sign me up because as much as I want some Apex combo goodness, I think I can game these is the spin to hold a green is there.

Jman;n8885369 said:
Let’s get it!

I think these are the clubs that most will be intrigued by potentially in supplementing a set, so it should be pretty fun.

Nice dude!! Really pumped for your feedback.

The fit in the lineup is probably the area I should be looking at. Really curious as to additional feedback on the line.

Okay 2 nights in a row that I have been dreaming of these irons. I play the OG Hogan PTx and these are in the same profile but the tech is far more advanced. I can use the forgiveness and distance they provide. I will trust the fitters at Callaway to put me in the right club but these are calling my name.

Back