Technology, Materials, and the rising cost of equipment

cpaulsell

Reaction score
Handicap
As the season starts to head toward the fall, manufacturers are starting to release their new lines of products. Most recently, the Titleist T Series Irons, the Taylormade p790 revamp, and the Callaway Epic Forged. All of which have either premium materials or high tech "upgrades". After seeing the prices for most of these clubs, it really got me thinking about how much prices have risen over the last 10 years for Golf Equipment.

I understand the costs of R&D, Materials, and Marketing have all increased. But, are we at the point where the cost of these clubs outweigh the benefits? And for discussion purposes Im comparing a $1,000 set of Irons to $2,000+ recent releases.

Callaway Epic Forged - $2,399
Taylormade t790 Ti - $2,799

What do you say THP? Are you buying into the technology? Are you buying the equipment because the technology and materials are superior to your current equipment? Is that resulting in lower scores? Or even just more enjoyment of the game? Do you think prices have gotten out of control?

-Corey

i don't mean any offense, but i'll never understand rising cost discussions that focus on only the highest end offering for a given company.

callaway's big bertha fusion irons were released in 2004 for $1,300. in today's dollars 15 years later, that's about $1,800. i think it could be argued that the tech, materials, labor, and every other cost input more than accounts for the extra cost of the epic forged irons.

i personally don't think the prices are out of line on drivers or irons. where i get a little miffed in pricing is wedges. i don't understand why wedges cost what they do.

I really don’t understand the price question/issue either. There are sets of new clubs made by almost every major manufacturer at every new set price point. Just because there is an ultra super premium line that cost you $3000 for a set of irons doesn’t mean you can’t buy the thousand dollar set.

Technology is maturing and the laws of diminishing returns take effect. Rules limitations make for additional challenges.

That means creating a difference takes more resources, which means it costs more money.

I do think that, especially with today's shorter product cycles, the improvements from one iteration of a line to the next are probably only going to be significant in every other release.

People are willing to shell out a LOT of money on golf clubs. Have been for years. I remember back in the 90's older guys would show up in the local golf store, spend 45 minutes "shopping" and walk out with $2,500 worth of Callaway stuff (it was always Callaway, the first brand to strike it super-big by charging a price premium for "technology"). Think of how much $2,500 in 1995 dollars translates to today. Nothing has changed.

Appreciate the responses. I guess the better question would be do you personally think the technology put into the top tiered iron and driver offerings translate into results? Does top tier offerings make you a better golfer or "feel" like a better golfer?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

technology definitely is helping golfers play better golf. It's not a substitute for lessons or swing flaws, but it can help a player enjoy the game more. As far as price goes I think it's in line with current material costs. A while back someone did a comparison to economies, inflation, etc. and costs were not that out of whack as we may seem.

Granted there still is sticker shock when you look into the clubs being offered lately, but if you are in the market who am I to tell someone how to spend their disposable income.

I am all for technology improvements and making the clubs look streamlined. The clubs today are much more forgiving and just bad ass looking compared to years ago.

However, the pricing is started to be crazy. I think many items are simply pricing themselves into a market for only the elite and rich. I don’t see how that is sustainable long term. The young golfer or lower income golfer that would like to play has to move into lesser technologies and looks. This could make for a poor enjoyment and overall experience. As the younger golfer becomes more wealthy will they still have the love of the game?

I understand the companies know what they are doing in terms of making the most profit now. I just wonder if making the money now hurts them in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuffle master;n8883910 said:
I am all for technology improvements and making the clubs look streamlined. The clubs today are much more forgiving and just bad ass looking compared to years ago.

However, the pricing is started to be crazy. I think many items are simply pricing themselves into a market for only the elite and rich. I don’t see how that is sustainable long term. The young golfer or lower income golfer that would like to play has to move into lesser technologies and looks. This could make for a poor enjoyment and overall experience. As the younger golfer becomes more wealthy will they still have the love of the game?

I understand the companies know what they are doing in terms of making the most profit now. I just wonder if making the money now hurts them in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-02-20-9702200103-story.html

This article is from 1997..... Callaway's driver was $400..... with inflation think that is a little more than what $529 their current iteration costs. Golf has always been an expensive game, private clubs, tee times, equipment, clothing, etc. And most of that costs goes to the early adopter, clubs that are less than a year old can be had for maybe 50% of the original MSRP.

2 year old clubs are even more discounted. I don't think anyone here could argue that if they were playing 2 year old clubs vs current models that they would be at a severe disadvantage before the round started. Sure, they might be giving up some things, but nothing that couldn't be overcome with good play.

Callaway has been very smart in developing the preowned program much like used cars and you can put together a great set at a pretty low price of entry so I don't think these companies are killing their future by overpricing the current. Multiple models at different price levels along with controlling the preowned markets gives OEMs access to multiple segments of the golf consumer.

Having hit the Epic Forged over a week, the price doesn’t match what the clubs do for me. Then again, I’m probably not the guy who Callaway or any other ultra-premium club manufacturer is after. I think those clubs may be more status symbols than anything else. JMO.

Outside of those lines of clubs, I don’t think costs are out of whack.

I like new and shiny but the constant product churning gets old.

Clubs don't have to be that expensive. For the golfer on a budget there's always close outs and Golfworks makes some nice stuff too.

Dave

I buy into the technology big time and love learning about it. That doesn’t mean I’ll run out and buy it though. I love seeing what smart minds can do when the constraints are lifted. I also think the companies are feeding into the stays symbol market. It can be both, right?

I do think that new technology translates into results. More forgiving on mishits, higher MOI, etc, depending on what technology. I also am one that appreciates the used market, where great used tech can be had for a no e price. I just purchased an Epic driver on CPO for $300. It was 200 after trading in my Epic driver (which I had gotten for 200 on CPO).

Back