Do You Every Go Back To Your Old Irons?

buckeyewalt

Reaction score
Handicap
For the last several months my irons have been a mixed bag of hits. So I decided to go back to my old 714 AP1 with steel shafts and have found that not only do I these better than my CF16, but more accurate as well. So I'm in the process of re-gripping all of my AP1 irons with GP MMC+4 grips. I switched to graphite with the CF16 mainly because of my elbow plus wanting to get a few extra yards. I don't know if this currently is just a period where something is different and it works temporarily or a permanent thing but I'm going to find out soon. Wondered if anyone else has gone back to their old irons with any success?

I've done it a couple times, and funny enough the clubs I switched from were Apex both time.
Went from Apex Irons back to my trusty Altitudes.
Couple years later, went from Apex CF16, back to a set of Wilson Staff C200s I had.

All were blind buys, and both times I really wanted Recoils, but ended up switching away from the irons with Recoils in them.

Yes. You are not alone. I have gone back to the bone yard (garage) and dusted off old irons. Usually my previous set and had success. I think sometimes you are just in a rut and need something to be different. It may not even have anything to do with what your issue was with the new set or your swing. My experience is the lightening in a bottle doesn't last long and I end up going back and/or cleaning up my swing anyway. Maybe it's just the change in feel from one to another can maybe promote some good swing tendency or something? Maybe your brain remembers some good feels from those clubs that snaps you out of something? Who knows. Anyway. Yes definitely have experienced this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, I play my Mizuno MP 63 set at the driving range and some rounds of golf as well.

Currently I also play CF16 w/recoil. I switch back and forth between Ping Eye 2 -> MP62->Z765. Depends in which course I play but usually CF16 and Z765 gets most work. My score doesn’t change much which set I game. Just different attitude and game plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, because I don’t have any irons other than those I currently play. Trade old irons in when I purchase new irons.

I've been dumb enough to sell a set of irons I played well with, end up missing them and end up buying another set. I may have a club problem...

I will break out the Ping Eye 2 irons on occasion.

Benched my M2’s for my CG16’s about a month ago. Very underrated set of GI irons IMO. Seeing more consistent distance and better dispersion with the 8-PW. Have sacrificed some length with the 6& 7 but am OK with that.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually sell off my last set to fund my new purchase. I'm not one to keep extra sets about. I hung onto my Z965 for a short while after putting the 2016 Apex Pros in play but sold them off in the off season. Winter tends to be silly season for me and all of my equipment is on replacement watch.

pretty much never, because i almost always need to trade in the existing set to afford the next purchase.

last year was a bit of an outlier because i put a couple different sets into play for fun, not really expecting them to be long-term gamers. so i kept my old set, reverted back to that set, and traded in the ill-advised experiments.

What old irons? I'm not a hoarder...

Nope, I am a one woman man. I will never play my old clubs again. It will be the only way I can learn all the ins-and-outs of new clubs.

Nope, they are likely providing another golfer as much enjoyment as they provided me.

I haven't, and don't really plan to. I liked the OL concept, and didn't want to go back and forth.

usually once a year I'll go play my J40 DPC irons because they might be my favorite set I've played since my time on THP

Yes, I will unbox one of my old sets and play a round or two with them. Though I've learned to have my MP60's and MP62's make their appearance only during warm weather. "Players" profile and cold mornings don't mix well if your swing isn't on point.

I have always traded in or sold my current set when getting into a new set, so I don't have that option, although I do wish I had kept my MP60's. The only set I have available is Wilson Staff Goosenecks from like 1990, and they are butt ugly. However, that's the set my brother-in-law will be using when he comes to town next week for my son's wedding, sorry in advance Hal:disdain:.

Back